Derry City v Sligo Rovers Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Derry City v Sligo Rovers Match Thread

Post by Greengo »

I'm a bit late posting but that was a horrible match...

Sligo were hanging in by their teeth before they scored and then resorted to laying down at every opportunity to stop Derry's flow. They started out for a point and hit us against the run of play although had "THAT" goal been allowed we would have been looking at a different scoreline entirely.

Patching looked lazy a lot of the time. He's not the player he was last season and needs dropped to make him realise he's not indispensible. I dont like blaming players but he wasnt the only one who looked lack lustre on Friday night.

Thank god we have the international break to regroup and hopefully get some players ready again. We badly need Dummigan back in the midfield and the great goal scoring hope of Cian Kavanagh to get a decent run of games and let us judge if he is the answer to our prayers up front.

On a side note:
I agree with Steve Bradley's comments about trying to blame the pitch when Derry are more used to it than the opposition. It aint getting lifted anytime soon because we as a club dont own it !!! "ITS THE COUNCILS"
The showgrounds should have been plastic and the Brandywell should have been grass but hey, thinking logically isnt the done thing in the chambers of the Guildhall.
Stute obvioulsy pay for the privilege to use it on a Saturday and they also train on it during the week but lets be honest, their crowds arent exactly scrambling for tickets.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Greengo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:23 pm Stute obvioulsy pay for the privilege to use it on a Saturday and they also train on it during the week but lets be honest, their crowds arent exactly scrambling for tickets.
A side note to your side note; when Stute are training on the Brandywell pitch on a Thursday night, they are not allowed to shoot towards the Showgrounds end. Every Thursday they play an 11v11 to prepare the players for the Saturday game and once they get midway in the half on that side they have to stop play short of attacking. The instruction comes from the council who fear the ball possibly entering the Showgrounds and disrupting the Greyhound meet.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

I don't understand this Derry have no power, they have all the power. I don't think any council member would risk Derry coming out and saying the pitch is not fit for purpose and start forfeiting games.

I think it's already been said that it will be grass next year anyway.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 pm
stevebradley wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:23 pm I knew last night that there would be people blaming the pitch for our performance again :lol: The pitch that magically is only a disadvantage to the team who is by-far the most used to it.

I lost count of the number of corners we had in the first 20mins of that game - it felt like a siege of Sligo's goal. Yet not one of them was any good, so they all led to nought. Apart from the corner that our goal came from, most were poor throughout the game - and we had a hell of a lot of them. If you can't get your setpieces right in football then you're wasting what should be key opportunities to score.

Teams come to the Brandywell to shut us down quickly, get in our faces, hope to nick a goal against the run of play, and then grind a result out. Which is exactly what Sligo did for yesterday's game. We have to find a way to deal with and overcome this that doesn't involve blaming the referee or the pitch. Winners find a way to win.

And we still need a 'natural goalscorer'. Someone who just puts themselves in the right place at the right time, all the time. And who gets goals when no-one else does. We boss possession on the putch, but convert that into few shots on target and even fewer goals. The chequebook is going to have to come oiut to find us a proven goal poacher if we genuinely hope to win a title at some point. Either that or we hope that Whelan is the answer to our prayers and is back to full health again soon.
Blaming the Ref? That boy last night was a Tube. He actually admitted he got it wrong disallowing Jamie's goal.
100%. But we had more than enough possession and chances to beat Sligo even without that goal.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:54 pm I don't understand this Derry have no power, they have all the power. I don't think any council member would risk Derry coming out and saying the pitch is not fit for purpose and start forfeiting games.

I think it's already been said that it will be grass next year anyway.
Who said that?

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

It was in the journal a few weeks ago.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:30 pm
Greengo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:23 pm Stute obvioulsy pay for the privilege to use it on a Saturday and they also train on it during the week but lets be honest, their crowds arent exactly scrambling for tickets.
A side note to your side note; when Stute are training on the Brandywell pitch on a Thursday night, they are not allowed to shoot towards the Showgrounds end. Every Thursday they play an 11v11 to prepare the players for the Saturday game and once they get midway in the half on that side they have to stop play short of attacking. The instruction comes from the council who fear the ball possibly entering the Showgrounds and disrupting the Greyhound meet.
Haha deary me, just about sums the amateurism of it all right there

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

I have said many times previously that the pitch will cost Derry the league this season.

6 games in and I see nothing to change that prediction.

The club would be better playing their home games at McGinn Park this season, as if not we will not win the league.

It is a very black and white issue now.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

joe3576 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:50 am I have said many times previously that the pitch will cost Derry the league this season.

The club would be better playing their home games at McGinn Park this season, as if not we will not win the league.

The away teams seem to love it. No bother playing on it.

Too easy to blame the pitch for all our performances at home.

There was a time when fans blamed the slope - you'll win nothing playing on a slope...

Meanwhile Dundalk dominated the league for years playing on a similar surface.

It is what it is. We have an advantage over all the visiting teams too as we know it inside out, warts and all. So let's get on with making it work.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Also, the Sligo goal was top drawer football. You'll struggle to see a better worked goal so a bit of credit to them is due.

In the end, it was a mistake by the ref that was the difference. We dont have VAR nor would I want it but sometimes you just don't get the luck on the night.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:39 pm
joe3576 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:50 am I have said many times previously that the pitch will cost Derry the league this season.

There was a time when fans blamed the slope - you'll win nothing playing on a slope...

It is what it is. We have an advantage over all the visiting teams too as we know it inside out, warts and all. So let's get on with making it work.
I think you'll find the slope is still there, running from our goal the whole way to the left hand side when there could be 2 players in space down the right. The slope even follows us when we change ends. Surely the manager and coaches can see hitting the left wing isn't always the best option.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:25 pm

I think you'll find the slope is still there, running from our goal the whole way to the left hand side when there could be 2 players in space down the right. The slope even follows us when we change ends. Surely the manager and coaches can see hitting the left wing isn't always the best option.
Re the. Comments above

The away teams DO NOT play on it they sit and wait for us to blow
Away teams seem to,love it Yes they love the fact they only have to play here twice we’re stuck
Too easy to blame pitch read the many many posts. We play a certain way on it despite getting poor results We say change tactics
Supporter since 🥘1949 never never heard a moan about the slope. Sorry
Re Dundalk comment IT IS NOT SIMILAR SURFACE it is in name only. But Hoburn et al got crosses TO SCORE FROM AND a huge return from setbpieces esp corners We don’t
Let’s get on with making it work Yes that’s Exaclly exactly what our posts are all about
Take a wee peep,atvLeeds v Wolves last evening. Our type of high balls. To The LEFT winger. Winger ala Duffy and lately Doherty skin the r back….. cross. Now count the White shirts 4|5 raiding into the box and a R back arriving wide late Do DERRY DO THIS?/ no The pitch is our ‘hump “Let’s vary how to we adapt to our “ beloved home” ground SO FAR THE PITCH HAS WON LETS TACTICALLY USE OUR HOME GROUND AT LEAST to our advantage. SOON PLEASEV

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Re the. Comments above

Away teams seem to,love it Yes they love the fact they only have to play here twice we’re stuck
Too easy to blame pitch read the many many posts. We play a certain way on it despite getting poor results We say change tactics
Re Dundalk comment IT IS NOT SIMILAR SURFACE it is in name only. But Hoburn et al got crosses TO SCORE FROM AND a huge return from setbpieces esp corners We don’t
Let’s get on with making it work Yes that’s Exaclly exactly what our posts are all about
Take a wee peep,atvLeeds v Wolves last evening. Our type of high balls. To The LEFT winger. Winger ala Duffy and lately Doherty skin the r back….. cross. Now count the White shirts 4|5 raiding into the box and a R back arriving wide late Do DERRY DO THIS?/ no The pitch is our ‘hump “Let’s vary how to we adapt to our “ beloved home” ground SO FAR THE PITCH HAS WON LETS TACTICALLY USE OUR HOME GROUND AT LEAST to our advantage. SOON PLEASEV

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:29 pm

Re the. Comments above

Our home record is average and should be better. Blaming the pitch is all well and good but we know its there, we know its not changing anytime soon, so it's up to the manager and players to find a way to work with it and turn it to our advantage. Doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result is probably a sign that you need to mix it up a bit. Tactics, players, and mentality. If you play half your games at home and it doesnt suit a certain tactic or approach then find another way, add a few players that are going to play up front with their back to goal or a target man. Use the right tool for the job and it should get easier.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

:lol:

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol:

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Exactly Marco - but the difference is that Dundalk played totally different football than what we play now. They played fast and different with two centre forwards at all times, the aim to get the ball into the box as quickly as possible.

Shiels was a one man midfield - Benson and Finn had licence to arrive late in the box.

Fats and Duffy were wingers

Massey and Gannon fast attacking full backs

Hoban / Kilduff / McMillan - two from 3 up front at all times.

They played fast and not afraid to go long when needed. They def did not ponce around with 5 in Midfield and 1 up front.

Plus they were Lethal from set pieces, we conceded on average at least one goal a game at oriel to corners over 6 seasons.

They scored goals from everywhere. Our strike forward in 7 games this season has produced 1 goal between them.

We play 1 up front
5 in midfield
Full backs that don’t really bomb on
And don’t really cross the ball into the box
We are slow and ponderous and easy to defend against at home.
Away - I would bet on us to beat anyone.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Thought we were the better team on the night without doing enough to claim we should have won. We looked to move the ball forward quickly and looked dangerous until we got to the box. We lack a incisiveness around the box and that's why we find it difficult to break teams down. Personally, I think the solution is to move Fats forward but that seems to be a no go for Higgins.

Ollie O'Neill looked tricky in the first half and I thought Jamie had a pretty good game. Seemed more involved out the field than in previous games.

Coll was badly caught out for the goal, got himself in a poor position and was caught under it.

A real shame that we couldn't extend our lead of Shams given their poor run of form. I'll reserve judgement until we have more of the injured players back but we've shown twice now that we'll struggle at home when teams sit in

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Greengo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:23 pm Patching looked lazy a lot of the time. He's not the player he was last season and needs dropped to make him realise he's not indispensible. I dont like blaming players but he wasnt the only one who looked lack lustre on Friday night.
He was heavily involved in the first half, probably our most influential player in attack. Less so in the second.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

When we have a full squad available, what will become of the Patching / Fats selection?

I feel they occupy a lot of the same space at present, sitting deep and often not getting involved in anything creative. Full squad, I'd say Patching will be benched.

Only hope for Patching would be if Fats moved to play off the front man, freeing up space for him.

But you'd have to say that Dummigan, Duffy and O'Reilly would all be 1st choice starters if fit.