Shamrock Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
footman
First Team
First Team

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

Post by footman »

Early days but great result

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Oh me of Little faith!!
I was convinced we'd be lucky to draw. An amazing result.
Bloody commentary talks of Rovers defenders missing. What about our 4/5 first teamers missing!!!!

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Fair play to Ben Doherty for the goal but he can't defend, rovers had so many chances in the first half but couldn't take them. We played really good last year down there but got beat so its great to finally beat them away. Looking forward to getting Duffy, o Reilly and MC jannet back. Also mark Connolly was superb :)

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Rovers are definitely a good team and the quality of their subs is excellent so getting a win there and not being at our best (with big players missing) sets a marker down. As Connolly said during the week we need to learn to win ugly and that is what they did. 👏👏👏

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:26 pm Fair play to Ben Doherty for the goal but he can't defend, rovers had so many chances in the first half but couldn't take them. We played really good last year down there but got beat so its great to finally beat them away. Looking forward to getting Duffy, o Reilly and MC jannet back. Also mark Connolly was superb :)
Ben has great heart as well as a good engine going forward, as he showed for the goal, but I agree he does not look a natural left back and Coll is not as convincing and composed on the right as he is on the left. Hard to argue the managers call though when we grabbed 3 points.

Gerrymc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Gerrymc »

Tallaght breached. Well done City. Great 3 points ⚽️⚽️

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Great result well done.

Lancaster1

Post by Lancaster1 »

You don't just go down to Dublin and beat Rovers in their backyard. There is a character in this team and Ruari has served his apprenticeship under stephen. They are all playing for the badge and amazing ambassadors. Well done everyone!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

The fact that was Rovers first home defeat in 2 years says it all.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Where are all the Jamie haters tonight?

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Who said Cian Cavanagh should start before Jamie.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Great result. First win there in 6 years. Coll again doing a great job - as well as the centre halves. Two great goals from our standpoint.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Marty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:47 pm Where are all the Jamie haters tonight?
The Patching out Brigade quiet tonight too after he was instrumental in the two goals

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:26 pm Fair play to Ben Doherty for the goal but he can't defend
I'm not sure he'll have a tougher game his whole career. Farrugia had him on toast the whole game. I'm not convinced by his ability to defend either, although in fairness to him he's still learning the position.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:38 am
Marty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:47 pm Where are all the Jamie haters tonight?
The Patching out Brigade quiet tonight too after he was instrumental in the two goals
nah wouldn't say quiet just back in the door from Tallaght thanks.

I don't think I have ever been an advocate of Patching out.... However like most fans tonight at the game you will find that they still get absolutely frustrated at how little he does throughout the game.

If you look back he lay down for one of the Rovers attacks where Maher made a great save and Burke then flashed just wide. Yes it probably should have been a free kick but there was absolutely nothing wrong with him.

I am absolutely delighted that he played 2 balls through for goals. But let's look at those aswell. The 1st goal the rovers defender missed the ball on the way through for Doherty. The 2nd goal he got lucky after losing possession and regaining it again.

Also I believe Patching has some serious ability. Great touch to thread Graydon through before mcgonigle scores.

But let's get off your high horse here and enjoy the night for what it was. A great win without actually playing overly well. Great battling performance near the end.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:41 am
Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:26 pm Fair play to Ben Doherty for the goal but he can't defend
I'm not sure he'll have a tougher game his whole career. Farrugia had him on toast the whole game. I'm not convinced by his ability to defend either, although in fairness to him he's still learning the position.
On Ben Doherty... Farrugia has a serious turn of pace and you could see Rovers singled Doherty out most of the night. Not however because he can't defend but more so because he was exposed 1 on 1. Ollie O'Neill didn't give him the cover that he probably needed tonight coming up against Farrugia. At rightback you had Coll well covered by Graydon willing to get back and help out.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Brillant win last night.

Let’s not forget that we were missing Micky Duffy, Jackie Harkin, Cameron McJannet, Adam O’Reilly, Cameron Dummigan and Colm Whelan. Thought we particularly missed the Harkin/Dummigan/O’Reilly type player in the middle last night. The result was all the better without having these guys available. Over the season shams will be there no doubt. But we are in front now and unlike last season we have a squad that should see us over any bumps. Early days of course but i’d rather be 5 points up than 5 points down even at this stage. Just keep on keeping on lads.

Have a great weekend candystripes.

Citytilidie.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Great win and two great goals even if we were overrun at times.

Thought we defended a lot better than v Pats and Coll was excellent on both sides.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

A fantastic result, given the big name players we still have out.

Yes we did have some weak points last night , but I'm sure they will be addressed.

It's important not to be dropping points when we have important players missing , and we are top of the league, so will take that!

Plus, that result will have been a major psychological blow to Rovers.
Last edited by Keyser Soze on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.