Shamrock Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Shamrock Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Amazing result away to Rovers. Yes they had players missing and yes they controlled the game for large spells. But that's irrelevant. Winning away at Rovers will boost our confidence and the more often we beat them (FAI Cup last year, and twice this year) then any superiority complex will go out the window. Long long way to go but great to see us mix it with Rovers in their backyard.

Last night also looked an amazing spectacle for the league. Amazing stadium, lovely grass pitch, vibrant atmosphere and a really enjoyable game. More of that please and we'll soon pick up a tv deal.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 pm Amazing result away to Rovers. Yes they had players missing and yes they controlled the game for large spells. But that's irrelevant. Winning away at Rovers will boost our confidence and the more often we beat them (FAI Cup last year, and twice this year) then any superiority complex will go out the window. Long long way to go but great to see us mix it with Rovers in their backyard.

Last night also looked an amazing spectacle for the league. Amazing stadium, lovely grass pitch, vibrant atmosphere and a really enjoyable game. More of that please and we'll soon pick up a tv deal.
Don't mention The Flares :lol:

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:16 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:41 pm Amazing result away to Rovers. Yes they had players missing and yes they controlled the game for large spells. But that's irrelevant. Winning away at Rovers will boost our confidence and the more often we beat them (FAI Cup last year, and twice this year) then any superiority complex will go out the window. Long long way to go but great to see us mix it with Rovers in their backyard.

Don't mention The Flares :lol:
Im more of a drainpipe man myself :lol:

No time for flares. :D

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:00 am
Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:38 am
Marty wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:47 pm Where are all the Jamie haters tonight?
The Patching out Brigade quiet tonight too after he was instrumental in the two goals
nah wouldn't say quiet just back in the door from Tallaght thanks.

I don't think I have ever been an advocate of Patching out.... However like most fans tonight at the game you will find that they still get absolutely frustrated at how little he does throughout the game.

If you look back he lay down for one of the Rovers attacks where Maher made a great save and Burke then flashed just wide. Yes it probably should have been a free kick but there was absolutely nothing wrong with him.

I am absolutely delighted that he played 2 balls through for goals. But let's look at those aswell. The 1st goal the rovers defender missed the ball on the way through for Doherty. The 2nd goal he got lucky after losing possession and regaining it again.

Also I believe Patching has some serious ability. Great touch to thread Graydon through before mcgonigle scores.

But let's get off your high horse here and enjoy the night for what it was. A great win without actually playing overly well. Great battling performance near the end.
This is a superb post. Some posters are more interested at sniping at others rather than presenting a true analysis of the game Patching hoofed a clearance to Doherty see Tv Doherty did superbly well But the losing of the ball So often by Patching gives us problems that a magnificent defence covers up. that lying down “cheating” that should have cost us the second is well/….. horrible….. All the Derry fans near were screaming for him to get up as he left us totally exposed So let’s look at the whole package. Great post.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Patching, the guy involved in both goals, nearly cost us the game.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

I remember the same type of arguments being made about Paddy McCourt. No work ethic, poor out of possession blah blah blah. Paddy was a genius of a player and while Patch is no Paddy McCourt he is a game changer and match winner and that’s what happened against shams. The only judgement on his value in the side that matters is R Higgins and in this I trust implicitly. The King in the North.

Citytilidie