Derry City v Cork City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Cork City Match Thread

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Managed to get the job done without being overly convincing. I will take that this year especially when teams will come with the game plan of sitting in and making it difficult for us to breakdown.

The midfield last night without a proper defensive minded midfielder is very suspect. Better teams would play through that forward thinking midfield as they are not as positionally aware that what Diallo/Dummigan would be. A few times on Friday Cork found a few holes where fats and patching had drifted either out wide or further forward. Overall though I dont think we will play with that setup most of the season. We will always have O'reilly, dummigan or diallo in there.

McEneff could possibly be the number 10 that delivers the goals we require. At the current moment hes undroppable and should start against Rovers next week.

Mcgonigle looks lost at the current moment up front. Hopefully gets a goal sooner rather than later to give him a bit of confidence.

Overall...solid performance +3pts in the bag.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:16 pm
YorbaLinda wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:08 pmWas O Reilly injured ?
Yes. No idea how bad it is though
'Severel weeks' according to this article

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ry-4041848

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Are we just unlucky with injuries, or is there something else at play? Such as doing all our training on AstroTurf?

We entered the new season with a handful of influential players on the treatment table, and one only lasted 1 game before going out for a month.
Last edited by Keyser Soze on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

3 of our players were injured in Spain on grass - fats Dummingan and Mcjannet. All muscle strains which suggests to me is the rigorous training regime.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

6 weeks for Dummigan, O'Reilly and Duffy with muscular injuries.

I wouldn't be blaming the plastic pitch potentially more of an S&C overload. It's grand pushing players but pushing them to breaking point isn't great. Hopefully a few lessons will be learned though.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:45 pm 6 weeks for Dummigan, O'Reilly and Duffy with muscular injuries.

I wouldn't be blaming the plastic pitch potentially more of an S&C overload. It's grand pushing players but pushing them to breaking point isn't great. Hopefully a few lessons will be learned though.
They are all out for 6 weeks????

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:19 pm
dcfc_legend9 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:45 pm 6 weeks for Dummigan, O'Reilly and Duffy with muscular injuries.

They are all out for 6 weeks????
This is what I have been told anyway although I always take stuff like that with a pinch of salt.

Dummigan has suffered a setback with his injury and means he will be out slightly longer than first expected.

O'reilly has a grade 2 hamstring problem and they reckon about 6 weeks aswell.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

That's bad news.
To have a good go at Rovers this season, we could be doing with a bit of luck on the injury front.
We need to have most of the squad available more often.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

All injured in warm up apparently ????.