Pre Season Friendlies

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Pre Season Friendlies

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:16 pm
Nige92 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:54 am We play against the Candystripes today... :D
Cancelled due to waterlogged pitch... In Spain

https://twitter.com/derrycityfc/status/ ... CqJlA&s=19
When you consider that it's a behind closed doors friendly, and that both teams involved have travelled a long way to get game time and preparation work there - surely another pitch could've been found somewhere in the area to have a game on ? There will be Spanish 3rd tier clubs nearby, for example.
Someone on another forum suggested Aalborg cited illness and injuries.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Maybe they didn't fancy beforehand it but at the same time we need to move away from playing in poor conditions. Adopt a professional approach. There was quite a bit of standing water so it would be no good to either team.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:22 pm Maybe they didn't fancy beforehand it but at the same time we need to move away from playing in poor conditions. Adopt a professional approach. There was quite a bit of standing water so it would be no good to either team.
Just like Finn Park then.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:22 pm Maybe they didn't fancy beforehand it but at the same time we need to move away from playing in poor conditions. Adopt a professional approach. There was quite a bit of standing water so it would be no good to either team.
Just like the Brandywell. That will be unplayable very soon.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm
I doubt that personally. I think the condition issue is being overplayed to force the change of the pitch.

Not say it's never happened, but I don't personally recall ever seeing standing water on the Brandywell pitch ?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:38 am

I doubt that personally. I think the condition issue is being overplayed to force the change of the pitch.

Not say it's never happened, but I don't personally recall ever seeing standing water on the Brandywell pitch ?
The Club released a short clip of the pitch inspection and it clearly showed standing water in the centre of the pitch.

The Brandywell pitch will soon be unplayable due to it non-complicity with elite level football (warns FAI). More to do with it being made of concrete, plastic and sand than anything else.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Mixed messages. Aalborg saying we couldn't field a team?

https://twitter.com/Irish_Grounds/statu ... TuMrQ&s=19

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:21 pm Mixed messages. Aalborg saying we couldn't field a team?

Hangbags? Derry claiming pitch and Alborg claiming we pulled out due to lack of a team. Probably a bit of truth in both then.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Institute are advertising the Billy Kee Cup game on social media for Monday night (February 6th) at the Brandywell.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:21 pm Mixed messages. Aalborg saying we couldn't field a team?

That's weird - as presumably we have our entire squad out there.

There's also the video of the very wet pitch

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Friendly against Bray is off due to circumstances beyond Bray's control.
Hope we can get another game organised at short notice.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Neutrino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:51 pm Friendly against Bray is off due to circumstances beyond Bray's control.
The Billy Kee cup game against Institute is on Monday night 1945 kick off @ The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

brandyball wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:49 pm
Neutrino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:51 pm Friendly against Bray is off due to circumstances beyond Bray's control.
The Billy Kee cup game against Institute is on Monday night 1945 kick off @ The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.
Yeah, but that is just rescheduled from earlier in preseason. We will have had the Aalborg and Bray games cancelled still. Not ideal.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Neutrino wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:59 pm
brandyball wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:49 pm
Yeah, but that is just rescheduled from earlier in preseason. We will have had the Aalborg and Bray games cancelled still. Not ideal.
I know but we wouldn't be able to fit in another friendly before The Presidents Cup game.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

A poor pre-season in terms of decent friendlies for the players.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:54 pm A poor pre-season in terms of decent friendlies for the players.
Ironically the switch to summer football was designed to improve standards and avoid playing through the winter months which are affected by bad weather. Whilst this is proving a major success the flip side is our early season preparations which get serious in January are often affected by "bad weather". This year we do seem to be unlucky - stute, alborg and bray all called off. My biggest gripe is playing pre season games against clubs from the same division. Pleased that we've avoided that this year though appreciate the the Presidents Cup could be classified as a friendly.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

We're playing Carrick tomorrow at 7pm, away.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

barry wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:35 pm We're playing Carrick tomorrow at 7pm, away.
Just read that in the Derry News

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:30 am

The Club released a short clip of the pitch inspection and it clearly showed standing water in the centre of the pitch.

The Brandywell pitch will soon be unplayable due to it non-complicity with elite level football (warns FAI). More to do with it being made of concrete, plastic and sand than anything else.
But I'm talking about the Brandywell. That video of standing water was in Spain, not the Brandywell. Where I have never seen standing water ever personally (?)

I'm also suggesting that the condition issue of our pitch may be being overplayed to accelerate getting it changed. It's only the FAI who are making the claim about its fitness for use, and it would be helpful to know what analysis they've made of the surface to reach that conclusion ? It would also be interesting to hear what the supplier/installer had to say in-response.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:07 pm
marcoloco wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:30 am

But I'm talking about the Brandywell. That video of standing water was in Spain, not the Brandywell. Where I have never seen standing water ever personally (?)

I'm also suggesting that the condition issue of our pitch may be being overplayed to accelerate getting it changed. It's only the FAI who are making the claim about its fitness for use, and it would be helpful to know what analysis they've made of the surface to reach that conclusion ? It would also be interesting to hear what the supplier/installer had to say in-response.
The FIFA Certification expires this year. It appears that the FIA statement relates to the current condition report of the playing surface which may no longer satisfy minimum standards for elite level competition. Of course the Club should use this to their advantage but I dont believe any of this was initiated by the Club.