2023 Squad

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: 2023 Squad

Post by mokendismucker »

nial9 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:56 am On paper we have a much weaker squad than Shamrock Rovers. To compete meaningfully we need to strengthen with players well above Irish League standard. RH has had plenty of time since cup final. Only hope has has used it wisely.
Not so sure about that. This time last year you could make the stronger squad assertion but Rowvers have an older squad with at least 8 players north of 30, including a 40 year old goalkeeper and two 33 year old strikers and have lost key attacking players in Ferugia and Lyons from last years starting squad.

Jesus is it the autocorrect or covid? That’s Manderou not Ferugia………….

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

When you arrive at our level its much more difficult to improve the squad. When you're bottom of the table you can see that you need major surgery. Now it's only 1 or 2. And that often means signing real quality players which is not so easy as they are more difficult to attract and cost more money.

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

As has been pointed out earlier, having Connolly, Diallo and Duffy available from the start of the season immediately makes us much stronger than the start of last season.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Wonder why we didn't go for McGinn?

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

brandyball wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:31 pm Wonder why we didn't go for McGinn?
Waiting for McClean?? :lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Neutrino wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm
We'll have a long wait.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:03 pm
Neutrino wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm
We'll have a long wait.
Out of contract this summer……

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

I must confess to having a problem on this topic . I always thought it was how you played that was important The Cup final was an outstanding performance Now I read and it seems it’s who we sign or Rovers or others sign that’s important Last season we played some dire football We tossed away points so this season if we step up on that surely we will be ok . Again at the risk of you scream 🎄📸at me I think our pitch will cost us again so I’m just keeping an open mind The players we have are very good and capable. I just want to see what( saw at the Aviva Derry grubbing sides as we should have this season Incl Rivers don’t forget

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

eugenio wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 pm I must confess to having a problem on this topic . I always thought it was how you played that was important The Cup final was an outstanding performance Now I read and it seems it’s who we sign or Rovers or others sign that’s important Last season we played some dire football We tossed away points so this season if we step up on that surely we will be ok . Again at the risk of you scream 🎄📸at me I think our pitch will cost us again so I’m just keeping an open mind The players we have are very good and capable. I just want to see what( saw at the Aviva Derry grubbing sides as we should have this season Incl Rivers don’t forget
I agree with you Eugene about the pitch, and worry that we will drop too many points at home again this coming season.

Unfortunately our manager will need to change the way we play at home, and that may mean playing more direct as it's really difficult to play the type of football we seen at the Cup Final on that pitch. Players don't trust it, which means they take extra touches and don't have the confidence to play one touch, first time passes.

I would consider playing Fats up front in certain home games where he can be the focal point of attack and he will make the ball stick when played up to him and then have runners around him.....similar to what Liam Coyle done.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

KEVK wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:17 am
eugenio wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 pm I must confess to having a problem on this topic . I always thought it was how you played that was important The Cup final was an outstanding performance Now I read and it seems it’s who we sign or Rovers or others sign that’s important Last season we played some dire football We tossed away points so this season if we step up on that surely we will be ok . Again at the risk of you scream 🎄📸at me I think our pitch will cost us again so I’m just keeping an open mind The players we have are very good and capable. I just want to see what( saw at the Aviva Derry grubbing sides as we should have this season Incl Rivers don’t forget
I agree with you Eugene about the pitch, and worry that we will drop too many points at home again this coming season.

Unfortunately our manager will need to change the way we play at home, and that may mean playing more direct as it's really difficult to play the type of football we seen at the Cup Final on that pitch. Players don't trust it, which means they take extra touches and don't have the confidence to play one touch, first time passes.

Kev agree ESP recthe out and out striker. I think eg in Semi final, we used this and we rattled teams It can be unattractive BUT as in the Semi Final if it wins us games at home I won’t ever complain

Neutrino
First Team
First Team

Post by Neutrino »

Jack Lemoignan has joined Ballinamallard on loan

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

Looks like Adam O'Reilly who was on loan to Pats from Preston last season is joining us. Great wee player

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:44 pm Looks like Adam O'Reilly who was on loan to Pats from Preston last season is joining us. Great wee player
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... n=sharebar

Feels like we're going to have a lot of midfield/attackers in the squad vying for limited spaces

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

What a signing.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Marty wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:42 pmWhat a signing.
What type of midfielder is he? Holding, box to box, creative? Hopefully all 3!

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Possible replacement for Thomson?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 pm Possible replacement for Thomson?
Thomson plays for Larne :lol:

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:00 pm
marcoloco wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 pm Possible replacement for Thomson?
Thomson plays for Larne :lol:
Exactly!! :lol:

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Squad is looking strong. I'd like to see us add one more attacker/Winger and cover at CB.

Maher
Ryan

Dummingan
Boyce

S McEleney
Connolly
McJannett

Coll
Doherty

P McEleney
Diallo
Patching
OReilly
Mceneff
E Mclaughlin
Harkin

B Kavanagh
Graydon
Duffy

McGonigle
Whelan
C Kavanagh

U21s
Barr
Mullin
Mccay

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I'd guess Rowan McDonald, the Man City u23 player, will get a game tomorrow in Spain.
This might decide if he is signed or not for the coming season.