Cup Final

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Cup Final

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:34 am Can Derry not appeal the red card considering that the player was assaulted?

Also, considering that it was a punch on the back of the head surely that's a matter for the PSNI?

Do that anywhere else and you get lifted and charged. Simple.

As for the red, its reminded me of our european game at the brandywell. Only on that occasion our player retaliated.

As for the result... not entirely surprising.
Think you can only appeal reds on grounds of mistaken identity.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 am
marcoloco wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:34 am Can Derry not appeal the red card considering that the player was assaulted?

Also, considering that it was a punch on the back of the head surely that's a matter for the PSNI?

Do that anywhere else and you get lifted and charged. Simple.

As for the red, its reminded me of our european game at the brandywell. Only on that occasion our player retaliated.

As for the result... not entirely surprising.
Think you can only appeal reds on grounds of mistaken identity.
Boy acting like he was Mike Tyson? Does that count? :lol:

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:22 am
rodgers wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:43 pm With Diallo suspended I suspect McEleney will play alongside Dummigan with Patching further forward. I think it would be better swapping them about.
With Diallo suspended it now means we pretty much have the core of our team picked and selected.

Maher

Boyce Connolly Mceleney McJannet

Graydon/Kavanagh Dummigan Fats Duffy

Patching

Mcgonigle

I would ideally rather see Thompson play in the midfield however that wont be the case. Graydon looked better in his natural position last night against dundalk in the second half once he was swapped. He was able to drive on the outside and create a bit of width. So for me that option is better than Kavanagh.
I'd like to see Thomson feature at some point as well and possibly also see if we can play with a bit more width. I think Patching is a technically much better player but think that Thomson provides more of a threat from open play. With only one striker, I think we need a player prepared to get ahead of ball.

I think you are right on what the lineup will be now.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I was confident on the cup final just after the semi, but the way we have finished out the season, not so much.

A great believer in carrying form into a big game, it's difficult to just go from bang average to very good in a single game. Especially the way Shels are going to set up.

As for last night, we had 20 shots? I must have dozed off a few times. Just shows how useless modern stats are in a game. We never looked like scoring.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:37 pm I was confident on the cup final just after the semi, but the way we have finished out the season, not so much.

A great believer in carrying form into a big game, it's difficult to just go from bang average to very good in a single game. Especially the way Shels are going to set up.

As for last night, we had 20 shots? I must have dozed off a few times. Just shows how useless modern stats are in a game. We never looked like scoring.
Whoever said we'd 20 shots last night must have had a few shots themselves.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

Does anyone know if there is a chance that Section 104 West Stand Lower will be opened up?

Have an addition to our group and the only tickets are in the gods in the East Stand and they wouldn't be able to go there on their own which would mean someone else having to. Not the biggest deal in the world just don't know whether to hold out or just bite the bullet now.

Alternatively, anyone know of any spares for West Lower?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Goals are becoming a real concern - we have strikers that can't score and we scored 1 in our last four league games. Seen a stat today for example - McGonigle has had 116 chances this season with 11 goals and 5 of those against UCD. Fats scored once this season. We need to make sure we score first on Sunday as if they do we'll find it difficult to break them down as we've done in all 4 matches against them this season.

In relation to the tickets is unallocated seating within the block your in or is the row and seat number on the ticket?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Davy I think we need to score two in the first 20. Duff's approach will remain the same as the fixture a couple of weeks ago and whilst the scoreline is deadlocked or with a goal between them there will always be a concern.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Two goals that'll be rarity. In the league we haven't beaten anyone apart from harps and UCD by more than a goal since April. As long as we win by one more than them we'll be happy. Hopefully our big players turn up and with a wide pitch this should be to our advantage in that there's more room to break them down.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

davybhoy wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:33 pm Goals are becoming a real concern - we have strikers that can't score and we scored 1 in our last four league games. Seen a stat today for example - McGonigle has had 116 chances this season with 11 goals and 5 of those against UCD. Fats scored once this season. We need to make sure we score first on Sunday as if they do we'll find it difficult to break them down as we've done in all 4 matches against them this season.

In relation to the tickets is unallocated seating within the block your in or is the row and seat number on the ticket?
It been like this all season. There was a spell when Patching's free kicks were the difference. But for all our creative talent we're not a team that will go out and score many goals. We grind out wins and play 1 up front. We're very conservative in our style play. Duff rightly gets the most out of his squad of players - keeping it tight and playing on the counter. You'd think we'd have more intensity but its just not our style of play. Duff will know that the Derry fans will get restless if the game goes on as a stalemate or if they take the lead. Based on previous games and current form its too close to call.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

rodgers wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:46 am
dcfc_legend9 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:22 am
rodgers wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:43 pm With Diallo suspended I suspect McEleney will play alongside Dummigan with Patching further forward. I think it would be better swapping them about.
With Diallo suspended it now means we pretty much have the core of our team picked and selected.

Maher

Boyce Connolly Mceleney McJannet

Graydon/Kavanagh Dummigan Fats Duffy

Patching

Mcgonigle

I would ideally rather see Thompson play in the midfield however that wont be the case. Graydon looked better in his natural position last night against dundalk in the second half once he was swapped. He was able to drive on the outside and create a bit of width. So for me that option is better than Kavanagh.
I'd like to see Thomson feature at some point as well and possibly also see if we can play with a bit more width. I think Patching is a technically much better player but think that Thomson provides more of a threat from open play. With only one striker, I think we need a player prepared to get ahead of ball.

I think you are right on what the lineup will be now.
Akintunde is worthy of a start in what he offers in commitment, strength, holding skill more than what McGonigle has displayed recently. Graydon is suited on the right but not pressing the opposition to a degree that offers cover when defence is light on his side. Thompson would thrive on a quality pitch such as the Aviva and if he tires Lafferty would offer an attacking defender.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Any suggestions for before / after the cup final?

Any bars, hotel bars etc worthy of mention.

Landsowne, Ballsbrige direction?

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:07 pm Any suggestions for before / after the cup final?

Big crowd going to Clayton (Ballsbridge) for entertainment provided by Derry fans

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Cheers!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:18 pmCheers!
Saw what you did there :lol:

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:48 pm
marcoloco wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:18 pmCheers!
Saw what you did there :lol:
Anyone that likes a quiet celebration. They now know where to avoid... :lol: :lol:

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:07 pm Any suggestions for before / after the cup final?

Interested in this also.

Surely we can do better than the Clayton hotel :roll:

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Paul_C wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Big crowd going to Clayton (Ballsbridge) for entertainment provided by Derry fans
Provided by Derry fans??

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Philip O'Doherty confirmed on radio Foyle over 20,000 sold from Derry. Massive well done to everyone getting behind the team

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

adydcfc wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:41 pm Philip O'Doherty confirmed on radio Foyle over 20,000 sold from Derry. Massive well done to everyone getting behind the team
Absolutely. Fantastic support. Fair play to everyone. :D