Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: Last game of the season

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:03 pm If Derry lose on Sunday against Rovers the Dundalk game takes on a whole new significance.
We've +6 goal difference so we'd really need to shit the bed over these last two games to drop out of 2nd

refjohn

Post by refjohn »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:19 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:03 pm If Derry lose on Sunday against Rovers the Dundalk game takes on a whole new significance.
We've +6 goal difference so we'd really need to shit the bed over these last two games to drop out of 2nd
Remember if Dundalk beat us every goal they win by is equivalent of 2 to goal difference. So 2-0, 2-0 would level us on goal difference. Let's just draw or beat rovers and enjoy the rest of season

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:19 pm
These are 2 very tough games to finish out the season on, added to the fact that players might have one eye on the cup final and don't want to pick up any injuries, so may not give it 100%.

Rovers will want to put on a show for their fans and tv as they are presented with their trophy.

And Dundalk might be eyeing 2nd spot if we were to lose by a couple of goals to Rovers. As mentioned above, if they then beat us by 2 it would be all level.

So if we happen to lose both games, let's do it my 1 goal in each game!

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

We talking 1 point from 2 games here. And how many domestic games have Derry lost by more than 1 goal this season? None. :roll:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:26 am We talking 1 point from 2 games here. And how many domestic games have Derry lost by more than 1 goal this season? None. :roll:
Aye but Rovers away today then Dundalk at home. Not easy games. I still think thon fixture computer needs ReBooted... out the Winda.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Poor performance and some of the players looked like they had one eye on the final. Rovers are certainly the benchmark and we have a good bit to do to reach it. We still have work to do to confirm second spot.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

YorbaLinda wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 pm Poor performance and some of the players looked like they had one eye on the final. Rovers are certainly the benchmark and we have a good bit to do to reach it. We still have work to do to confirm second spot.
We have to avoid losing by a 3 goal margin. I would say that's unlikely. We've 2nd wrapped up

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hopefully he doesn't make too many changes and we're able to secure 2nd place.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:26 pm Hopefully he doesn't make too many changes and we're able to secure 2nd place.
No Duify, Fats , Patching, and McGonigle on Bench. Hope these changes don't come back to haunt us.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by davybhoy »

That was another match that was poor to watch- not a shot on target. We've a long way to go to match rovers. Struggling to score goals has been the story of the season since April continues- 1 goal in 4 matches and 2 points from 12 isn't great form going into a final.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Very poor display tonight disappointed to say the least,not much momentum going into final.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Stumbled over the line, Diallo misses final , tonight could be his last game?

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Thought Diallo was signed for next season?

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

So he is.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

kitwe wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:23 pm Thought Diallo was signed for next season?
Oh is he aye. That's grand then.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Everyone hammered me a few weeks ago, when i said the football was very poor.

I really hope we win the cup next win, I really really do, as I think the players deserve it big time.

But for a team to come 2nd, the standard of football is shocking.

The last five games, Treaty United, Shels, Sligo, Rovers and Dundalk have been horrific to watch.

I am very concerned how we are suddenly going to just deliver a great performance from out of nowhere next weekend.

The tactics have not changed one bit over 36 league games and it is very concerning.

Last night, in a game of zero interest, no shots, no saves nothing. Absolutely dismal and Dundalk looked miles better.

From a leading opposition analyst over the weekend in relation to Derry City, he stated to me the following:

1. Derry have the worst ratio of shots on target amongst the top 7 teams in the league.

2. Derry have the lowest goals scored in comparison to possession amongst the top 8 teams in the league.

3. We are the easiest team in the league to play against, as everyone knows what system we play. Rovers, Shels and Drogheda are the hardest.

4. We play mostly with 3 out of these 4 midfielders (Fats, Dummigan, Patching, Diallo) who all show NO intent to get ahead of the play and into the box, therefore they are very easy to contain and plan against.

5. Thomson while not of the same level as the 4 above, is regarded as a threat, as he does venture into the box, but he rarely starts for us.

6. The arrival of Duffy sparked an upturn in performances in August and September, as he was a genuine threat as he dribbled at the opposition, as opposed to Kavanagh who constantly drifts inside and slows down the play.

7. Derry defence is best in league.

8. But the lack of change to 2 up front in certain games, baffles analysts.

9. Consensus is that Derry definitely overachieved this season, and that while Pats and Dundalk were in transition this year, those two represent the biggest threat to Rovers next season. Derry may bring in more personnel, but if the system does not change, it is difficult to see genuine improvement.

He also remarked, how do you improve further on Dummigan, Fats, Duffy, Diallo, Maher, Boyce, Connolly, McJannett, Coll, Patchinhg, McGonigle - who are some of the best players in the league.

Very interesting comments.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

joe3576 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 am Everyone hammered me a few weeks ago, when i said the football was very poor.

I really hope we win the cup next win, I really really do, as I think the players deserve it big time.

The last five games, Treaty United, Shels, Sligo, Rovers and Dundalk have been horrific to watch.

I am very concerned how we are suddenly going to just deliver a great performance from out of nowhere next weekend.

The tactics have not changed one bit over 36 league games and it is very concerning.

Last night, in a game of zero interest, no shots, no saves nothing. Absolutely dismal and Dundalk looked miles better.

From a leading opposition analyst over the weekend in relation to Derry City, he stated to me the following:

1. Derry have the worst ratio of shots on target amongst the top 7 teams in the league.

2. Derry have the lowest goals scored in comparison to possession amongst the top 8 teams in the league.

3. We are the easiest team in the league to play against, as everyone knows what system we play. Rovers, Shels and Drogheda are the hardest.

4. We play mostly with 3 out of these 4 midfielders (Fats, Dummigan, Patching, Diallo) who all show NO intent to get ahead of the play and into the box, therefore they are very easy to contain and plan against.

5. Thomson while not of the same level as the 4 above, is regarded as a threat, as he does venture into the box, but he rarely starts for us.

6. The arrival of Duffy sparked an upturn in performances in August and September, as he was a genuine threat as he dribbled at the opposition, as opposed to Kavanagh who constantly drifts inside and slows down the play.

9. Consensus is that Derry definitely overachieved this season, and that while Pats and Dundalk were in transition this year, those two represent the biggest threat to Rovers next season. Derry may bring in more personnel, but if the system does not change, it is difficult to see genuine improvement.

He also remarked, how do you improve further on Dummigan, Fats, Duffy, Diallo, Maher, Boyce, Connolly, McJannett, Coll, Patchinhg, McGonigle - who are some of the best players in the league.

100% agree.

We have become an awful team to watch, especially at home where the pitch doesn't help. No tempo, no exciting phases of play, no shots on target, no goal mouth action, no one-two's, no playing in triangles, very few forward incisive passes......

We have the players, but big changes in tactics and style of play needed for next season.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Hahahahahahahahaha jesus it gets more funny on here. Negative as always I see!!

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

joe3576 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:09 am Everyone hammered me a few weeks ago, when i said the football was very poor.

Let's see how easy we are to play against come Sunday. Full of s****

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

adydcfc wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:46 pm

Let's see how easy we are to play against come Sunday. Full of s****
Who was the opposition analyst? And seriously what games have you been watching? Derry had 20 shots last night (4 on target) which is a poor return. You also say Derry overachieved - what makes you say that?