Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Come on Aidy...

You cant argue with many of the points above surely. They are pretty true and you would have to be extremely blind not to see our problems.

Yes we finished 2nd but lets look at the facts we finished with the same amount of wins as both Dundalk and St Pats and i would hazard a guess as to say our wage budget is much higher and if truth be told I wouldnt say our team is much better that the teams mentioned. Not by much if at all.

Had we not signed connolly mid season then I doubt we would have finished 2nd.

We havent won a game since Treaty either. We lack the consistency to mount a title threat.

13points off rovers is a long way away still and whilst 2nd and a cup final is a decent return this year I still think Higgins needs to have a plan B & C next year if we want to be successful. We offer the same system week in and week out. We need an alternative when things arent going for us. We played 3 at the back for a while last year with wingbacks, we could also swap the wingers to give us more width instead of playing narrow and inverted all game, we could go 2 up top if the number 10 roll doesnt work out and we could also lump a bigman up front at the end of the game to be awkward at times when in need of a goal.

Lets hope though that next season we get closer again as I recognise it is a 3 year plan.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

On a wee point If I had a team couldnt shoot I work on it in training Similarly with c backs who win corners but can’t head goalwards simple stuff if you are a coach. Surely

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

Higgins out

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

adydcfc wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:55 pmHiggins out
Are you going to actually have a proper debate or give a proper view point? Snide, smart remarks are pointless here.

Nobody is suggesting Higgins out, but like most football fans we are all on a football forum to give our reviews as we see things from the stands. Your very quick to jump on people and telling them they are full of shit etc when you havent once gave any decent analysis on anything really.

Why dont you actually give your point of view for a change. Give us a run down on how you seen Derry this year, What you thought of how we played etc? Would you change anything and if not why not?

Id be interested to hear a different point a view.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

dcfc_legend9 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:20 pm
adydcfc wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:55 pmHiggins out
Are you going to actually have a proper debate or give a proper view point? Snide, smart remarks are pointless here.

Nobody is suggesting Higgins out, but like most football fans we are all on a football forum to give our reviews as we see things from the stands. Your very quick to jump on people and telling them they are full of shit etc when you havent once gave any decent analysis on anything really.

Why dont you actually give your point of view for a change. Give us a run down on how you seen Derry this year, What you thought of how we played etc? Would you change anything and if not why not?

Id be interested to hear a different point a view.
Ask me nicely Gary

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Andy,

This year we have one of the best squads in years.

Maher, McJannett, Diallo, Dummigan, Duffy, Fats, Connolly are absolutely some of the best players to have ever played for us, but I still find us very dull to watch.

Maybe it is the 3G pitch, but there is definitely something not right. We are predictable and seem very easy to play against, especially at home.

Back in May, we produced maybe our best performance since 2006 in taking apart Pats 4-0 down at Pats. It was absolutely magnificent. As Alan Reynolds rightly said that night, 'our work without the ball was even better than with the ball', we were totally unplayable.

Then we went 10 games without a win. I was totally at a loss, as to why we never repeated the Pats performance. Pats came to the Brandywell 10 days later and it was a dreadful 0-0 draw, with no shots.

Rovers at home in the cup, we were excellent. Where to Higgins' credit, there was a definite change of tactic to go slightly longer and more direct in the game. McGonigle got loads of quick balls, and was excellent, got a goal, caused their guy to get sent off and really was a menace throughout. Connolly raked these brilliant pinpoint diagonal balls from right side of the defence, right out to Duffy time after time, it was a joy to watch.

Since this game, the football though has been dire ever since.

I just cannot explain why we slip back to this boring, dull, sideways, football.

Boyce who was a revelation last picked up 8 goals arriving late in the box, this year never attacks at all into the box.

Matty Smith was signed as a centre forward who got 14 goals for Pats last season as a striker - yet we never played him once as a centre forward, and as soon as Duffy came back after the leg break, bombed him out straightaway.

I like the players, I like Higgins and Reynolds, I like everything about the team and club at present, but I just cannot help but find them very very dull to watch and something just doesn't seem to be right.

I have been to 85% of games this season home and away, and I genuinely base this on what I see.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

adydcfc wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:45 pm Hahahahahahahahaha jesus it gets more funny on here. Negative as always I see!!
People are only pointing out the obvious- with the players we have should we be performing better and scoring more I think most people who have watched us home and away this season know the answer.

The opposition analyst findings all seem on the money.