Shels Friday 15th

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Re: Shels Friday 15th

Post by davybhoy »

You can't play for 45 mins and expect to get away with it all the time. That's about 4 matches this season it's happened - need to learn from tonight.

Totally dominant the first half and only started to play again after going behind. Fair play to shels they came out the second half and got a result.

City4ever
Supporter
Supporter

Post by City4ever »

We would've won that game if we kept the momentum of the first half going into the 2nd.
Once we took off Akintunde and Fats I thought Shells found it easier to gain possession and came more into the game.

Why did the linesman disallow what would've been out equaliser ??? I presumed it was for offside but thought they had someone at the post🤔

At least that's the first defeat out of the way... And at least we're still Top !

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Seemed to me he gave a free for a foul. One of their players, possibly Dervin, ran into a ground then fell to his knees. Lines man flagged the foul, ref gave the goal.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Embarrassing 2nd half performance. We were that bad I thought Devine had snuck back in.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Its a 90 min game, and not for the 1st time this season, we only played for half of it.

Perhaps the wake-up call we need? Got to stop sitting back after we take the lead. You could visibly see that happening tonight after we scored. Some have said Shels were in control in the 2nd half, but it started just after we scored, and we took the foot off the gas.

We did it in Finn Park too. Fans can see it, why doesn't the manager?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Love to know what Ciaran Coll has done not to get a place in that team.

Gerrymc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Gerrymc »

Definitely a game of 2 halves. Ah well. Monday for a win and confidence up again. RHRAWA

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Our defence has no confidence in Gartside... It was evident last year and glaringly obvious last night... He never leaves the 6 yard box...
The way he came for that high ball only to flap at it was embarassing...
And what happened to the rampaging McJannett ? I think he made two forward runs in the first half... He definatley missed Akintunde when he went off...
They had 3 defenders booked in the first half also, such was our dominance but we never took advantage of that... Shels were hungrier in the 2nd half and deserved their win...
As for the disallowed goal I too thought it was for a foul and not offside...

Hopefully its the kick in the arse we needed... Cant get too complacent...

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Greengo, I think that's harsh analysis. Gartsife isn't Maher with the ball at his feet but I don't think he did much wrong yesterday, apart from the high ball you described. Maher isn't always the most comfortable looking in that situation either. I didn't get the sense the team were concerned about the keeper situation.

In regards to McJannett I thought he was very good in the first half, always willing to make that run up the line. He didn't get to the byline often but he was constantly in their half/third. Their RB was having a nightmare.

I know McJannett has been in fine form but if we're going to play with a LB shouldn't we use Lafferty or Coll who are more natural in that position? Not that he had a bad game.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:31 am Greengo, I think that's harsh analysis. Gartsife isn't Maher with the ball at his feet but I don't think he did much wrong yesterday, apart from the high ball you described. Maher isn't always the most comfortable looking in that situation either. I didn't get the sense the team were concerned about the keeper situation.

In regards to McJannett I thought he was very good in the first half, always willing to make that run up the line. He didn't get to the byline often but he was constantly in their half/third. Their RB was having a nightmare.

I know McJannett has been in fine form but if we're going to play with a LB shouldn't we use Lafferty or Coll who are more natural in that position? Not that he had a bad game.
Agree with you and also wonder if McJannett would have been better served with Coll at left back as Shelbourne kept hunting down their left side in the first half. Coll behind McJannett would have closed that avenue and gave more of a cutting edge to attack. Wonder if Akintunde is viewed as a 90min man although he has strength to shield the ball and hold off defenders .

On aside, when is the team announced at the match for I didn’t notice it if it was called out. I also have bother making out the numbers on the players back as the thin numbers blend in with the red.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Last year on LOITV Gary Beckett said he thought Higgins teams' played football like him.

I think we lack a bit of width. We seem to come back inside a lot. He was probably never going to guarantee him games but I think Fitzgerald would have brought a bit of variety.

First half was very comfortable but didn't create much. Second half Shels a lot more aggressive and I think that unsettled Derry. They were second to a lot of balls in midfield.

A few more chances for Derry in second half but by that stage game was opening up. It seemed to explode into life around 60 mins whether there was a penalty shout for Shels, a possible hand ball for Derry and then a heavy tackle all in quick succession.

There was an excellent tackle on Patching in second half and a good save from McGonigle by Clarke. I don't understand why the Derry goal was ruled out but apparently Akintunde's was handled.

Derry didn't deserve to win.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

paul60 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:13 pm Agree with you and also wonder if McJannett would have been better served with Coll at left back as Shelbourne kept hunting down their left side in the first half. Coll behind McJannett would have closed that avenue and gave more of a cutting edge to attack. Wonder if Akintunde is viewed as a 90min man although he has strength to shield the ball and hold off defenders .

On aside, when is the team announced at the match for I didn’t notice it if it was called out. I also have bother making out the numbers on the players back as the thin numbers blend in with the red.
Are you suggest Coll as LCB and McJannett as LWB? Because I don't think that be of much benefit at all. They tired to get down our left in the 1st half but had no joy whatsoever. I wouldn't be concerned in that regards.

For me, Akintunde is always a likely candidate to be subbed off when you consider Smith was on the bench.

I was in at half and didn't hear the teams called out. Faulty PA system?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

rodgers wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:18 pm Last year on LOITV Gary Beckett said he thought Higgins teams' played football like him.

I think we lack a bit of width. We seem to come back inside a lot. He was probably never going to guarantee him games but I think Fitzgerald would have brought a bit of variety.
So far our width is being provided by our full/wing backs. With Fats/Kavanagh/Aki they're all suited to playing that inside forward/#10 role. The team as it stands doesn't really accommodate for out and out wingers. Although if Duffy was fit that'd be different. Jamie up top isn't exactly a target man so crosses from wide into the box possibly wouldn't be the best strategy. Just my view.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Could Gartside have saved any of their goals?

https://fb.watch/cqqg6vQ3bn/

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:00 pm Could Gartside have saved any of their goals?

https://fb.watch/cqqg6vQ3bn/
Credit where it's due - both their goals were well-taken.

I was worried at the start when I saw Gartside linng out, but I thought he did alright to be honest. I wouldn't fault him for the fact we switched off completely in the second half. You could feel both their goals coming, and neither was the result of keeper error.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

My criticism of Gartside is that he seldom leaves his 6 yard box... Had he advanced out of it last night he could have made the goal a smaller target for the striker in the first goal... Granted they were two cracking strikes and who knows if Maher would have saved them thats hypothetical...

The simple matter is that we switched off in the second half and got punished for it... Monday away to Drogheda cant come quick enough...

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Harps stuffed Shels away. Say no more.
It was an easy 3 pts dropped last night.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Shels beat 4-1 today by bohs. Joke of a performance on Friday.