Trent Kone-Doherty next young prospect to depart?

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Trent Kone-Doherty next young prospect to depart?

Post by marcoloco »

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer ... 78124.html

Good luck to him if he gets a move but I firmly believe at his age he'd be better off loaned straight back for a year at least. So many young players move too early imo. Tough with the ££££ on offer but we'll see if anything comes of it.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: Trent Kone-Doherty next young prospect to depart?

Post by Nige92 »

"Derry in line for a six figure sum in compensation". At least the club will be rewarded for helping him develop. Fair play to the lad.

Regarding a loan back, I don't think he would be with the first team on a regular enough basis for that to make sense.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hopefully it's only speculation and we get to see him in the first team. Think he'd ve best stay here to develop rather that get swalloped up by a premiership club's academy.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Done deal going to Liverpool will happen in june

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Good luck to him very exciting prospect

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Wish him all the best.
Think he was on the bench for the Pats game.
Would have been nice to see him make his debut at some point this season. Maybe he might still?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Interesting that the younger player in the south can't move until 18 and our lads can move at 16. Hopefully that doesn't put us at a disadvantage? i'd like to see these brilliant young players stay on, get games and then if they impress should command a bigger fee when they move on. Better for them and for us?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:30 am Interesting that the younger player in the south can't move until 18 and our lads can move at 16. Hopefully that doesn't put us at a disadvantage? i'd like to see these brilliant young players stay on, get games and then if they impress should command a bigger fee when they move on. Better for them and for us?
100% although it's the clubs who they're moving too that holds all the cards unfortunately.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:30 am Interesting that the younger player in the south can't move until 18 and our lads can move at 16. Hopefully, that doesn't put us at a disadvantage? i'd like to see these brilliant young players stay on, get games and then if they impress should command a bigger fee when they move on. Better for them and for us?
I've been saying this for a while, not only that, nursey clubs in the 26 have to be linked with a loi club, so they get the best talent assigned by default.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

What would happen if Derry wanted to sign an underage player, say from Donegal, who was already with a club in south?

City4ever
Supporter
Supporter

Post by City4ever »

rodgers wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:21 am What would happen if Derry wanted to sign an underage player, say from Donegal, who was already with a club in south?
I would guess that because Derry fall under the jurisdiction of the FAI that they would be allowed to sign underage players.

City4ever
Supporter
Supporter

Post by City4ever »

Nige92 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:09 pm "Derry in line for a six figure sum in compensation". At least the club will be rewarded for helping him develop. Fair play to the lad.
I believe the Development years are 12-16. At what age did he sign for Derry ? I've been told he developed through Foyle Harps as an underage player, so I'm wondering if a grass-roots club such as them will also benefit financially ?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

City4ever wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:34 am
rodgers wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:21 am What would happen if Derry wanted to sign an underage player, say from Donegal, who was already with a club in south?
I would guess that because Derry fall under the jurisdiction of the FAI that they would be allowed to sign underage players.
Thanks for that. So if an underage player in south wanted to get to Britain before 18, could they go via Derry? Or maybe they would still be prevented as a non UK citizen from signing underage for a British club?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I'm not sure that's right C4E ?

The issue with the north-south difference is due to Brexit, which is obviously not a footballing issue. So there are now different employment, age etc standards north and south of the border. If Derry being in the FAI made a difference, then we'd also have to hold on to our youth players until they were 18 prior to a move to Britain. As this move shows, we don't have that restruction. So the whole situation can't be about either footballing issues or our involvement with the southern league. How that would affect our ability to sign a 16yr old from, say, a Donegal club I don't know. Though they could obviously just give an NI address for themself.

BTW - Isn't Dery City a member of both the FAI and IFA anyway ? (e.g. via our women's team if nothing else)

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

rodgers wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:10 am
Thanks for that. So if an underage player in south wanted to get to Britain before 18, could they go via Derry? Or maybe they would still be prevented as a non UK citizen from signing underage for a British club?
Sure we are a British club. :lol:

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

stevebradley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:42 pm
I'm not sure that's right C4E ?

The issue with the north-south difference is due to Brexit, which is obviously not a footballing issue. So there are now different employment, age etc standards north and south of the border. If Derry being in the FAI made a difference, then we'd also have to hold on to our youth players until they were 18 prior to a move to Britain. As this move shows, we don't have that restruction. So the whole situation can't be about either footballing issues or our involvement with the southern league. How that would affect our ability to sign a 16yr old from, say, a Donegal club I don't know. Though they could obviously just give an NI address for themself.

BTW - Isn't Dery City a member of both the FAI and IFA anyway ? (e.g. via our women's team if nothing else)
I think all clubs in NI are exempt to the Brexit rules in regards to signing players under the age of 18 who are born in ROI. Clubs in GB aren't but can still sign ROI internationals as long as they are born in NI

sunshine83

Post by sunshine83 »

It's only because of Brexit.
Even though Trent is a Republic International, its because he was born in Nothern Ireland makes him eligible to move at 16..
Anyone born in 26 Counties can't move to their 18.
Also I'm pretty sure that a transfer fee involved will benefit Foyle Harps definitely
On another matter ?
Someone put it that Nursery clubs in the 26 Counties have to be tied in with Airtricity League Clubs is rubbish.
A few Nursery clubs in Dublin have entered an agreement with Senior Clubs there with some doing it under severe pressure.
There is no Nursery Club in Donegal, Sligo attached to Senior Clubs.
In fairness, Sligo treat all Schoolboys well with free coaching and still being able to play with their County Squads.
In Donegal, its the opposite.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

That's very helpful dcfc_jp_1989 and sunshine83, thanks very much.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »