Anti Social Behaviour

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Re: Anti Social Behaviour

Post by TenaciousDee »

I always assumed that it would come down to the team either hosting the game or providing the stewards to watch their fans. Judging by Rovers statement nearly 2 weeks ago I think clubs whose supporters are involved in these incidents are reprimanded.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:41 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:53 pm Another pitch invasion last night after the winning goal.

I know it was only mostly young ones again, but does anyone know if the club gets fined for these incursions?
Objects were thrown at Chris Forrester too during a stoppage, prior to him taking a corner kick. This is a minority yes, but if it continues the FAI may hit us with a supporters ban. In saying that I seen some pyro being thrown towards the Derry fans, what led to that and was any injured?
Noticed the objects thrown. Moronic. But what was worse was the stewards were no more than ten yards away, in front of the perpetrator, (I could see him from the adjoining section) and done nothing.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:45 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:41 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:53 pm Another pitch invasion last night after the winning goal.

I know it was only mostly young ones again, but does anyone know if the club gets fined for these incursions?
Objects were thrown at Chris Forrester too during a stoppage, prior to him taking a corner kick. This is a minority yes, but if it continues the FAI may hit us with a supporters ban. In saying that I seen some pyro being thrown towards the Derry fans, what led to that and was any injured?
See when away fans are using flares do we get fined or STPats?
I assume both can potetially face something. The home club definitely, because they're meant to be in control of their venue. But as we saw with the Rovers ban/non-ban that arose due to fireworks at a game in Waterford, the away club can also be punished as well for the behaviour of their fans.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

A few thoughts.

An old chestnut of mine but we should print tickets with seat numbers on them. On line tickets only so we know who buys them. In 2022 this shouldn’t be too taxing. All the season ticket holders have tickets with seat numbers on them so why not everyone else? Then every attendee should be instructed to take the seat number on their ticket. You don’t have the overload at section J and k. No football ground in England Scotland would allow what goes on in our ‘singing section’. Unfortunately more control is needed.

The access to the ground is very ‘loose’ to say the least. It wouldn’t take a master con to get by the stewarts at the gate and I doubt very much if the scanner is working.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:06 pm A few thoughts.

An old chestnut of mine but we should print tickets with seat numbers on them. On line tickets only so we know who buys them. In 2022 this shouldn’t be too taxing. All the season ticket holders have tickets with seat numbers on them so why not everyone else? Then every attendee should be instructed to take the seat number on their ticket. You don’t have the overload at section J and k. No football ground in England Scotland would allow what goes on in our ‘singing section’. Unfortunately more control is needed.

The access to the ground is very ‘loose’ to say the least. It wouldn’t take a master con to get by the stewarts at the gate and I doubt very much if the scanner is working.
The turnstiles scanner at Brandywell Ave. Works perfectly. What if the "Ultras" swap tickets among themselves and sit in each others seats?

The pitch invaders, are they accompanied by an adult or do they make their own way in? How would they be policed?

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

The turnstiles scanner at Brandywell Ave. Works perfectly. What if the "Ultras" swap tickets among themselves and sit in each others seats?

So why does it always look like there are more in the ground than there are seats. Why are there hundreds of people standing along the back of the Southend park stand? If people see there is no control there will be the chaos we have. Sit or stand in your seat or out the door. It’s what happens in every other football league in the world. Don’t see why that isn’t enforceable if every ticket has a seat number.

Don’t understand what the ultras swapping tickets issue is? There should only be a certain number of them in that area. I.e. the number of seats……

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 am The turnstiles scanner at Brandywell Ave. Works perfectly. What if the "Ultras" swap tickets among themselves and sit in each others seats?

So why does it always look like there are more in the ground than there are seats. Why are there hundreds of people standing along the back of the Southend park stand? If people see there is no control there will be the chaos we have. Sit or stand in your seat or out the door. It’s what happens in every other football league in the world. Don’t see why that isn’t enforceable if every ticket has a seat number.

Don’t understand what the ultras swapping tickets issue is? There should only be a certain number of them in that area. I.e. the number of seats……
My point being if in trying to identify the culprits and there aren't sitting in the corresponding seat number how can we identify the miscreants?

Regarding the people standing, some people prefer to stand which happens in the Mark Farren stand too.

Not sure if there's a connection but Billy Scampton stepped down from his role last week.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:03 am
mokendismucker wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:26 am The turnstiles scanner at Brandywell Ave. Works perfectly. What if the "Ultras" swap tickets among themselves and sit in each others seats?

My point being if in trying to identify the culprits and there aren't sitting in the corresponding seat number how can we identify the miscreants?

Regarding the people standing, some people prefer to stand which happens in the Mark Farren stand too.

Not sure if there's a connection but Billy Scampton stepped down from his role last week.
If seat swapping was a thing, as soon as one or two got banned for the actions of their muckers then I'm sure that would quickly end. The club could very easily check the identity of someone they're about to ban with the name of the person who is on the ticket anyway.

The bototm line for me is that Derry City should be in control of what happens in the Brandywell on every match day. At the moment the club isn't, and has seeded a chunk of control to young people who bring flares, stand wherever they want, invade the pitch etc etc. The club needs to stamp on this quickly and assert its control. It may mean them being a wee bit heavy-handed for a game or two until the message gets through. But we can't have anyone in control of what happens in our stadium on matchdays other than the club. So whatever sensible measures will ensure that message gets through will be required.

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

mokendismucker wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:06 pm A few thoughts.

All Season Tickets don't have allocated seats, some have SA on them (sit anywhere that isn't reserved), you can hardly walk past the back of K with young ones gathered on stairwells etc. It wouldn't have been to difficult to throw the numpty who threw the can on the pitch on Friday night out, there were a number of stewards in the area who could have acted. The stewards do tell people to get a seat but they are just basically ignored.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

dcbhoy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 pm All Season Tickets don't have allocated seats, some have SA on them (sit anywhere that isn't reserved), you can hardly walk past the back of K with young ones gathered on stairwells etc. It wouldn't have been to difficult to throw the numpty who threw the can on the pitch on Friday night out, there were a number of stewards in the area who could have acted. The stewards do tell people to get a seat but they are just basically ignored.
This is the point though, If stewards make a request that is in-line with how the ground is supposed to be managed - and that request gets ignored and then the stewards do nothing about it, then the club is no longer in control of the ground. And you're left asking what is the point in having stewards at all?

Apparently we have trained ejection stewards at the ground (though I've never seen or heard of anyone being throw out). For the next few games, if peopke are asked to move from blocking walkways etc and they don't, they should be told clearly that they'll be bucked out otherwise. And then if they still refuse, they should be removed from the ground. Do that a couple of times and the problem will magically resolve itself very quickly.

Who should control what goes on inside the Brandywell on matchdays - Derry City, or a few dickheads who think sensible rules are for everyone else except them ?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

A lot of stewards in the Brandywrll also travel to the Aviva Stadium to Steward at Republic of Ireland games, I wonder how both Roles differ?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

It's easier said than done to eject people. It could lead to a situation that could easily get out of hand and end up in fights etc.

We don't want our own stewards having to deal with that with our own fans.

It's a difficult one to police, and I don't envy the club trying to hand out lifetime bans. If we have to accept fans getting searched on the way in, then so be it for the meantime. I'm guessing many of those who are suspected of causing bother are known and will be easily spotted on entry for searching.

I think other fans also need to step up and start telling flare lighters and bottle throwers that this isn't on any more. We don't need to reach a point when we have to play a game behind closed doors cos a few idiots ruin if for us all.

As for block K, rather than stewards standing in front looking in, why aren't they in among Block K? Take up a few positions scattered around the block?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:38 pm It's easier said than done to eject people. It could lead to a situation that could easily get out of hand and end up in fights etc.

It's a difficult one to police, and I don't envy the club trying to hand out lifetime bans. If we have to accept fans getting searched on the way in, then so be it for the meantime. I'm guessing many of those who are suspected of causing bother are known and will be easily spotted on entry for searching.

I think other fans also need to step up and start telling flare lighters and bottle throwers that this isn't on any more. We don't need to reach a point when we have to play a game behind closed doors cos a few idiots ruin if for us all.

As for block K, rather than stewards standing in front looking in, why aren't they in among Block K? Take up a few positions scattered around the block?
If they don't listen to Stewards about their behaviour I wouldn't imagine they'd listen to other fans TBF.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:38 pm It's easier said than done to eject people. It could lead to a situation that could easily get out of hand and end up in fights etc.

I disagree. It all again comes down to the question of who should control what happens in the Brandywell on matchdays - Derry City or a few randoms ?

We apparently have ejection stewards (?). They are trained to eject people if required, and it is therefore part of their job. If we need to get a few more in for a game or two to sort various issues out safely, then so be it. We're also talking primarily about young fellas here, whilst stewards are grown men/women (and we should hire in a few professional bigger ones for a few games if needs be). I would also have ejection stewards with body-worn video cameras too to capture evidence, so anyone who was stupid enough to try to assault them for doing their job could also get a police record for their troubles. But the reaosn why these issues exist in the first place is frankly because everyone has just turned a blind eye to bad behaviour in the stadium for too long now. and the situation is only getting worse as a result (the broken window theory). A couple of games of enforcing the rules as they should have been enforced all along and I'm confident the issues would magically get resolved. It's just the potential pain involved in transitioning from one situation to the other, but that has to be tackled. I cant see any other way of credibly resolving it, as appealing to the 'better nature' of some people doesn't work.

You're essentially saying the mob should control what happens on matchdays, and our stewards should be afraid of doing anything to upset them. No. Derry City must control what happens within the stadium on matchdays - no-one else. You wouldn't put up with bouncers in a bar or nightclub being afraid to sort out bad behaviour for fear of what might happen.

BTW - If we're all still having these discussions by the end of the season then the club will have failed badly on this issue.

Cake

Post by Cake »

New season ticket holder here. I've put in a request to get my assigned seats moved. I haven't been able to get to my seat once this season.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Cake wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:11 pm New season ticket holder here. I've put in a request to get my assigned seats moved. I haven't been able to get to my seat once this season.
If there's somebody in your seat ask them to move, if they don't tell nearest steward.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Cake wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:11 pm New season ticket holder here. I've put in a request to get my assigned seats moved. I haven't been able to get to my seat once this season.
Is your seat allocated ? i.e. Does it have a sticker on it to say that its held for the season ticket holder ?

I think you can challenge someone who may be sitting in your seat if its designated and has the sticker on it... I know a few years ago there used to be a stupid law about being in your seats at least 20 mins or so before kick off else you lost it :roll:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Greengo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:54 pm
Is your seat allocated ? i.e. Does it have a sticker on it to say that its held for the season ticket holder ?

I think you can challenge someone who may be sitting in your seat if its designated and has the sticker on it... I know a few years ago there used to be a stupid law about being in your seats at least 20 mins or so before kick off else you lost it :roll:
They mentioned they have an assigned seat. :lol:

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Maybe if you clarified how you 'haven't been able' to get to your seat, we could help...