Brian Maher

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Brian Maher

Post by TenaciousDee »

Derry City will next week announce the signing of Ireland U-21 goalkeeper Brian Maher from Bray Wanderers.

The deal to sign the net-minder was agreed in principle a number of weeks ago, with Maher then concentrating on his attempts to try and steer Bray to promotion through the playoffs.

However, that quest ended with defeat to UCD last night and the 21-year-old will now continue his career with the Brandywell side after signing a long-term deal.

Damien Duff's Shelbourne did make a late enquiry about the former St Patrick's Athletic underage keeper but he was committed to pursuing a fresh start with Ruaidhri Higgins' side.

After a concluding victory in Dundalk secured a fourth-place finish in the Premier Division table, Derry will qualify for Europe if St Patrick's Athletic defeat Bohemians in next Sunday's FAI Cup final.

Maher is first choice with Jim Crawford's Ireland U-21 side and impressed in their 1-0 win over Sweden earlier this week.

Derry will strengthen their squad considerably for 2022 with the signing of Dundalk's Will Patching also to be confirmed in the coming days. He is making the same move as Michael Duffy and Patrick McEleney

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Brian Maher

Post by brandyball »

Keep them coming.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Now that's a good signing!! One of the best young goalkeepers in the country. I've seen him play a number of times with the Ireland u21s. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet and good distribution. Very much a modern day goalkeeper.

Have to feel for Gartside who improved as the season went on. You would imagine he'd be looking to play first team football now he's got a taste of it.

Great news on Patching too!

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:28 am Now that's a good signing!! One of the best young goalkeepers in the country. I've seen him play a number of times with the Ireland u21s. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet and good distribution. Very much a modern day goalkeeper.

Have to feel for Gartside who improved as the season went on. You would imagine he'd be looking to play first team football now he's got a taste of it.

Great news on Patching too!
Never seen him play but must have something about him to be Ireland u21 keeper.

Gartside IMO is a great shot stopper but isn't great with his feet and it's obvious the way Higgins wants to play that the keeper needs to be good with his feet. Can't see him being about next season as he'll want to be a no.1.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

We've been trying to sign a new keeper since Ruadhri came in so it's no real surprise we need competition for all positions.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I'm glad Gartside got a full season, he deserved it after good performances behind Cherrie over the last couple of years. And while he wasn't bad this season at all, I think we need someone else. He still doesn't look too sure of himself at times and that doesn't help the centre backs. Maher will be a good signing - I'd sign him just for that cheeky dink against the Swedes on Tuesday. :D

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

If you have doubt about your keeper, there’s absolutely no doubt.

Unfortunately, good shot stopper at times that he is, Gartside is doubt.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Marty wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 pm If you have doubt about your keeper, there’s absolutely no doubt.

Would agree on this. Gartside reminds me of Pat Jennings Jnr. Both great shot-stoppers, but seem to get some of the basics wrong re positioning etc. And Gartside is a little gaff prone too.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:06 pm If you have doubt about your keeper, there’s absolutely no doubt.

Of that there's no doubt. :lol:

Temple38

Post by Temple38 »

I suggest all the gartside haters have a look at all 36 matches on catch and see how many points he has saved Derry and look at where they would have finished, yes the start of the season wasn’t great but when you hadn’t kicked a ball for 19 months what did you people expect,then Derry screwed up his international call up because there admin is poor,to deal with all that and still have a real consistent season takes a real strong character,there is an old saying you never know what you had until you lose it.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Temple38 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:17 am I suggest all the gartside haters have a look at all 36 matches on catch and see how many points he has saved Derry and look at where they would have finished, yes the start of the season wasn’t great but when you hadn’t kicked a ball for 19 months what did you people expect,then Derry screwed up his international call up because there admin is poor,to deal with all that and still have a real consistent season takes a real strong character,there is an old saying you never know what you had until you lose it.
I don't think anyone is a Gartside hater- I think he's a great shot stopper that has been very good over the course of the season but his footwork isn't the best which led to a few dodgy moments this season. With Higgins wanting to build from the back a keeper that is comfortable on the ball I bet is a requirement. I'll happily take Gartside and Maher and let them fight it out for no.1 jersey but just can't see either of them being happy to be on the bench.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Temple38 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:17 am I suggest all the gartside haters have a look at all 36 matches on catch and see how many points he has saved Derry and look at where they would have finished, yes the start of the season wasn’t great but when you hadn’t kicked a ball for 19 months what did you people expect,then Derry screwed up his international call up because there admin is poor,to deal with all that and still have a real consistent season takes a real strong character,there is an old saying you never know what you had until you lose it.
There's no hating going on here. Just because you feel one player is better than the other, doesn't mean you 'hate' that player. That's a very binary view.

Higgins clearly sees an opportunity to improve his goalkeeping situation. Gartside might even win out, however from what I've seen of Maher he's a better distributor and better under a high ball in the box.

Whatever happens Gartside, he'll be a starting goalkeeper somewhere.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Sounds like a good signing. A pity for Nathan, but thats football for you. He saved us in several games this season, and got a couple of MOTM awards, so he has definitely improved. I could understand him leaving to seek out a regular No1 spot.

Good to see Patching return too. Next season's squad taking good shape already.
Last edited by Keyser Soze on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hi Nathan.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

With all the talk on these 2 Kee operas what about young Jack who never got a looki in Is his time with us over pity if so