Derry City vs Sligo Rovers Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City vs Sligo Rovers Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

da-gama wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:51 am Brilliant match, great goals, super crowd and we're still in it.

See you at oriel!!
Are they selling tickets for away fans?

On something unrealted - any idea why we wore block last night? To accommodate Sligo's white away top?

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Yes.

This (the strip) annoyed me also. I assume Sligo didn't land with their third strip. Still, we should've made them wear our away strip instead of us

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

We had to do the same the last time too. Sligo are the only team we never wore our home shirt against this year.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Glad someone raised this. I hate this black strip with a passion and wearing it in Brandy is so so obnoxious I think POSs these dreary overpaid refs are responsible for this They must be put in their place now We are red and white stripes at home so stuff the rest . Btw board of directors Black is not the easiest strip to see under the lights so we fans have to be accommodated I remarked atDalymount lately Derry were often difficult to follow under poor lights BOHS sported a white kit at home so do they know the benefits of being seen.

Ban the BLACK LOL πŸ˜‚

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

I'd say 90% of the people in attendance are wearing dark colours so it can be quite off putting for some.

Sligo play in red (or red/white) they surely know in advance what the issue will be.

Either they dont have a 3rd top, or they should be given special dispensation for this fixture to wear a training top.

Home teams should not be made to change.

Next season will we also be changing to our away tops to allow Shamrock Rovers to wear their new all white 2nd kit?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Last question. Promise. Any idea what the attendance v capacity was last night?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:43 pm Last question. Promise. Any idea what the attendance v capacity was last night?
Not sure but new capacity Is 3,403.

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

Didn't hear the half time draw being announced.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm
marcoloco wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:43 pm Last question. Promise. Any idea what the attendance v capacity was last night?
Thanks for this. If we keep improving, which is likely, then we'll be pushing capacity soon especially in the big games.

We could really do with our slice of sub regional stadia funding to get the MF stand competed.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: ↑Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm
Thanks for this. If we keep improving, which is likely, then we'll be pushing capacity soon especially in the big games.

We could really do with our slice of sub regional stadia funding to get the MF stand competed.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Next season will we also be changing to our away tops to allow Shamrock Rovers to wear their new all white 2nd kit?
I would think both teams will just play in their home kits like we did this year any time we played against Shamrock Rovers

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

'' Home teams should not dave to change ''. I agree Marcoloco

However Longford in their first home game this season had to wear their away kit when we played them. This was because our red/white would clash and our black kit would clash with their home jersey of red/black !! Same applies when we play Bohs. !!!
Simple answer is that we shouldn't have a BLACK kit as 2nd strip.

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

'' Home teams should not dave to change ''. I agree Marcoloco

However Longford in their first home game this season had to wear their away kit when we played them. This was because our red/white would clash and our black kit would clash with their home jersey of red/black !! Same applies when we play Bohs. !!!
Simple answer is that we shouldn't have a BLACK kit as 2nd strip.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 pm
I would think both teams will just play in their home kits like we did this year any time we played against Shamrock Rovers
Fair point.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

marcoloco wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:35 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:00 pm
Fair point.
On the point of kit clashes I think something needs to be done to try & avoid the regularity of home teams having to change because of a clash. I've seen 1 or 2 comments blaming our black kit for this when on Friday night & the previous home match the problem was Sligo's away kit & our away kit became the alternative. Against the likes of Longford & Bohs the black kit has been the problem for obvious reasons.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Surely the Onus is on the away teams to have sufficient kit or kits with them that doesn't clash with the home teams colours. Every team should know by now which colours the home teams wear.

In an aside the premiership in England blocked home teams from wearing their away strips and this was for charitable purposes.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

I don't care what colours they play in should it be red white and blue as long as the ball is flying in to the net.[youtube][/youtube]

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

On another note, in the build up and during the game I thought about Liam Buckley's claim during the last close season when he signed Walter Figueira. He told whomever conducted the interview that we hadn't seen him play with a good team in the league up to that point and we would see him at his best surrounded by a better squad. Having watched him Friday and a few other occasions, I genuinely feel he looked better with us than with the "good team". Am I imagining this, or did he just look like a big fish in a small pond with us?

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

TenaciousDee wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:51 pm On another note, in the build up and during the game I thought about Liam Buckley's claim during the last close season when he signed Walter Figueira. He told whomever conducted the interview that we hadn't seen him play with a good team in the league up to that point and we would see him at his best surrounded by a better squad. Having watched him Friday and a few other occasions, I genuinely feel he looked better with us than with the "good team". Am I imagining this, or did he just look like a big fish in a small pond with us?
I can think of 6 of ours who are nowhere as good as Walter

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

brandyball wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:42 pm Surely the Onus is on the away teams to have sufficient kit or kits with them that doesn't clash with the home teams colours. Every team should know by now which colours the home teams wear.
The only way to do that is to have a 3rd kit & then again it won't be always certain that there still won't be kit clashes.

Aside from the Longford game at start of the season, anytime we've had a kit clash the problem has been the away teams away kit still clashed with the home teams home kit & therefore both teams were required to change