The Race for Europe

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: The Race for Europe

Post by eugenio »

Marco the thing I wanted most was to be in the Cup Final but as a fan going to Dundalk is exciting so it’s not the last thing I’d want lol. The last thing would be a repeat of the Drogheda debacle tho ooothat might haunt us I think honestly we can beat all of them now

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Jez Eugene you are very optimistic.
Based on recent performances only a brave man would put money on us winning our remaining games.

But we need to step up tonight and win at Harps. I think anything other than a win is the nail in the coffin. We also have to hope Pats do Sligo.

As much as I could see us beating Sligo at home with a packed Brandywell behind them, away to Dundalk is a real toughie, especially as they may well have something to play for.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:36 pm Jez Eugene you are very optimistic.
Based on recent performances only a brave man would put money on us winning our remaining games.

But we need to step up tonight and win at Harps. I think anything other than a win is the nail in the coffin. We also have to hope Pats do Sligo.

As much as I could see us beating Sligo at home with a packed Brandywell behind them, away to Dundalk is a real toughie, especially as they may well have something to play for.
Agree. This needs to be settled before the Dundalk game otherwise we're toast. :lol:

Seriously though, a win tonight would get us back on track and with only 2 games remaining it may even prove to be enough. Fail to win tonight and it's a case of choking when it matters most. As there's no room for error i'm going with a comfortable away win with our strikers back on the scoresheet.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

If Sligo win tonight then they have 3rd place wrapped up.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:00 pm If Sligo win tonight then they have 3rd place wrapped up.
It's a tough of a task for them as it is for us. If we win tonight and they lose it'll be some game at The Brandy next Friday. Here's hoping we don't Balls it up.

Sligo 1 up.
Last edited by brandyball on Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:20 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:00 pm If Sligo win tonight then they have 3rd place wrapped up.
It's a tough of a task for them as it is for us. If we win tonight and they lose it'll be some game at The Brandy next Friday. Here's hoping we don't Balls it up.
Boys I’m not as the old song says “a cockeyed optimist “ I was at Dalymount and saw the real us that night Then we handled Pats superbly at the Brandy So. I am saying ….it’s in there .. just let it out The motivation is there for players If they fluff it so what :oops: :oops: :oops: I cried in Athlone once when we fluffed the League title but I’d rather be there than mid table nothingness or Deccies desperation to field a team to STAY UP LOL 😂

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Sligo 1 up.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Sligo 1 up.
Sligo winning 2-0 now.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:31 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:00 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:20 pm :

Sligo 1 up.
Sligo winning 2-0 now.
Sligo won 3-0. :o

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

And the “set piece” clowns lose another goal But God it was tripe s

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

To think some thought our last 4 games were winnable 6 place could be beckoning

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:22 pm To think some thought our last 4 games were winnable 6 place could be beckoning
Brandy yes. Yes Eugenio here I I thought so. I thought and still think we have better players but I cant understand players who won’t play I cannot think that any management team aren’t showing and re showing clips of vital games thrown by fouls and inability to defend once again set pieces. Ie Decs legacy
The hoofing of the long ball baffles me ……I just don’t expect it ….I cannot for the life of me visualise in advance, going into a ground and see players who will hoof hopeless balls forward So I go thinking , we can do it I look at that back 5. and and say they are greats Garside is also v v solid. I think surely `Hery will make one tackle Laverty won’t hoof it again I expect we will win but I can’t control the tactics or the attitude of our midfield ,especially ,plus the total,inability of our strikers to score but I go in hope I think “they will to night” after all Europe will mean a few quid to them I did think yes we could win all4 But payers have a habit of sticking your nose in It. I refer to several of my earlier posts that apart from the back 5 and Harkin I find it hard to get behind these boys as my team but I hope
Perhaps it’s true there’s no fool like an auld fool …………but I hate my own players making that fool out of me. Drogs and Harps dire

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:49 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:22 pm To think some thought our last 4 games were winnable 6 place could be beckoning
Brandy yes. Yes Eugenio here I I thought so. I thought and still think we have better players but I cant understand players who won’t play I cannot think that any management team aren’t showing and re showing clips of vital games thrown by fouls and inability to defend once again set pieces. Ie Decs legacy
The hoofing of the long ball baffles me ……I just don’t expect it ….I cannot for the life of me visualise in advance, going into a ground and see players who will hoof hopeless balls forward So I go thinking , we can do it I look at that back 5. and and say they are greats Garside is also v v solid. I think surely `Hery will make one tackle Laverty won’t hoof it again I expect we will win but I can’t control the tactics or the attitude of our midfield ,especially ,plus the total,inability of our strikers to score but I go in hope I think “they will to night” after all Europe will mean a few quid to them I did think yes we could win all4 But payers have a habit of sticking your nose in It. I refer to several of my earlier posts that apart from the back 5 and Harkin I find it hard to get behind these boys as my team but I hope
Perhaps it’s true there’s no fool like an auld fool …………but I hate my own players making that fool out of me. Drogs and Harps dire
I said when Higgins took over I'd be happy if we stayed up. In an interview with Drive Higgins confirmed that was his remit to keep us in the division. Job done.

I still think we will need a few more players next season,along with Fats and Duffy to mount a serious challenge.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We need a lot of players added to mount any serious challenge. We are miles off Rovers.

Watching games this season, and especially the latest games, I can think of 4, maybe 5, of that starting team tonight who aren't going to make us any stronger next year if they are still in the team.

Duffy and Fats will help us of course, but just those 2 will only bring us to a 3rd place finish imho. We need another 3 or 4 quality players before we could even think of challenging.

And if Higgins is as great a coach as we are being told, how can be stand over that crap we watched the last few games? Surely he has to say something when the team is going out and playing Devine-like football.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 am We need a lot of players added to mount any serious challenge. We are miles off Rovers.

Watching games this season, and especially the latest games, I can think of 4, maybe 5, of that starting team tonight who aren't going to make us any stronger next year if they are still in the team.

Duffy and Fats will help us of course, but just those 2 will only bring us to a 3rd place finish imho. We need another 3 or 4 quality players before we could even think of challenging.

And if Higgins is as great a coach as we are being told, how can be stand over that crap we watched the last few games? Surely he has to say something when the team is going out and playing Devine-like football.
Keyser super post people seem afraid to say it but it’s now not tactically much different from the Deccie debacle

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

3 points from last 12 isn't great. Last few games have been poor.

Partly I think that is down to 10 team league where by the fourth round of games team have seen each other too much and sometimes down to modern overcoaching.

Mostly the reasons are probably closer to home. I think manager has maybe gotten as much as he can out of current season given what he inherited.

We also seem to switch formation an awful lot including mid game which might lead to the disjointedness.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We've just lost 4th spot with today's results.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Higgins Out. :lol: we're gonna finish in the top 6, considering the start we'd had that's a great achievement. Let's get the season over and look forward with renewed optimisim to a new season and a few new signings.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:40 pm Higgins Out. :lol: we're gonna finish in the top 6, considering the start we'd had that's a great achievement. Let's get the season over and look forward with renewed optimisim to a new season and a few new signings.
No cracking jokes on here please. This is a serious football site. :lol: Few twists and turns yet. I joked before that we're toast if we need to go to Dundalk on the final day looking for points. If Bohs win against Rovers next week the final game is pointless but I can't see Rovers letting that happen. Next Friday is our cup final. Anything but a win now.