The futures bright - Its Red & White

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

The futures bright - Its Red & White

Post by Greengo »

Seen a thread, on Twitter I think, claiming that we are a sleeping giant about to be re-awakened... Also an invigorated interest in season tickets for 2022 season because of the Fats & Duffy signings and rumours of Patching & Kelly gathering momentum...

Its certainly a good time to be a Candystripe but I'd like to discuss with fellow fans wether you buy into the hype or not ? Its been a long time since we won the league but will we have the nous & tact to win it within the next couple of years given the current crop of playing staff we have ?

Bout time we got back to having a decent discussion on here :D

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: The futures bright - Its Red & White

Post by brandyball »

I think if Big Phil is willing to buy into it then I think we should all buy into it. Let's get the season tickets out for next season (Covid Permitting) and get the Brandy rocking again.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

History has taight me to never get carried away as a Derry City fan :lol:

We were hands-down the richest club on the island for almost a decade after we returned to football in 1985, and yet only ended up with one league title to show for it.

The excitement seems to be based on an assumption that because PoD has lots of money now, so too will the club. Those two things aren't necessarily connected though (and it's also important to note that most of the £2bn involved in the sale of E&I will not have been in cash). It's up to The Chairman how much he wants to put into Derry City, and we would have no right to begrudge him if he was to put a ceiling or a time limit on it (though thankfully there is no indication that he will).

So I think we've every right to believe we're headng back into an era where we are able to genuinely compete for trophies and players again. But whether that's enough to win us anything more than League Cups and the od FAI Cup will remian to be seen.

It's certainly exciting times anyway - so tell everyone to get along for the ride 8-)

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

stevebradley wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:08 pm(and it's also important to note that most of the £2bn involved in the sale of E&I will not have been in cash).
Nearly two thirds is being paid in cash up front based on this report:

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 31510.html

For me it would be great if the stadium and permanent training base could be sorted.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:13 pm
stevebradley wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:08 pm(and it's also important to note that most of the £2bn involved in the sale of E&I will not have been in cash).
Nearly two thirds is being paid in cash up front based on this report:

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 31510.html

For me it would be great if the stadium and permanent training base could be sorted.
Didn;t know that Rogers - Thanks for clarifying. If he's managed to get most of it in cash, ratehr thn stoick etc, then he's played a blinder.

Agree that a stadium and Acedemy of our own would be the two best things that PoD could do with any money he spends on the club moving forwards.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I'm not overly expectant about next season but that's not to say I'm pessimistic either. The reality is that the history of this league is choc-full of expensively assembled teams that went on to ultimately fail. Having McEleney and Duffy and whoever else, combined with a bank full of money, won't guarantee anything. Next season will be Higgins' first full season as a manager and to put the expectation on him so soon is incredibly unfair. Not only that, but the inevitable backlash from the loud minority if we don't win the league next year will only poison any progress that we do make. If we do win it - brilliant. But I'm more concerned with the long-term. I want us to be in a position when we do win it, that we can dominate for years to come and in order to achieve that, there's a lot more still to be done.

The new training centre will be massive for us; to be gifted something like that is truly fantastic. But after it's built we've to pay staff costs, maintenance, heating and lecky, rates. Someday POD will step down and I'm sure he'll leave us in a good financial shape when he does but we'll still need to pay for all this for as long as the club exists, so I hope that along with any on-the-pitch signings, we hear lots about investment in the business side of things too. The future is definitely bright, I just hope it's not a big, bright bubble that will burst after five years.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

PauliAlonso wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm Next season will be Higgins' first full season as a manager and to put the expectation on him so soon is incredibly unfair. Not only that, but the inevitable backlash from the loud minority if we don't win the league next year will only poison any progress that we do make. If we do win it - brilliant. But I'm more concerned with the long-term. I want us to be in a position when we do win it, that we can dominate for years to come and in order to achieve that, there's a lot more still to be done.
^^^ THIS

I dont think we'll win the league next year and anyone who does is living in cloud cukoo land... I genuinely think Higgins is the man to take us there though, a league title not cloud cukoo land ;)... He has a great eye for talent...

As for the "loud minority", we will always have those who want 1989 to happen year after year but reality is that we need to be constantly up there with teams trying to knock us off... Yee cant win them all in this league but staying within touching distance of top two or three every season should be our focal point as well as the odd cup run...

I spoke to Ruaidhri after his first couple of games and asked did he think we could finish top 4 this year... "are you joking" was his reply... the way he has turned round our season is applaudable... compare his 20 odd games in charge since he came in with the rest of the league and you'll see his stats are not that far away from Rovers et al...

Yes, next season will be his first full one but if the loud minority start with their shite... tell them to fuck up and catch themselves on... :D

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Once I lived in a dream of DERRY being the best then in 64/65 the dream came true . Then came 89 and the feeling abroad that we would be invincible BUT that faded. Now this very week Newcastle will sell their soul to a moneybags and it looks like we might try to buy the League too You see this is my opinion Neither Chelsea or Man City were capable till mega bucks were ploughed in If PODploughs big bucks in and we win the League Will it have the “dream. Quality” of the past? For me no ! Buying of leagues a la Dundalk Rovers has a false glory about them .Re the noisy minority God help Fats and Duffy if they do not deliver especially as they are local. Locals just aren’t allowed to have off days or else :mrgreen: in parts of our support I rememberEddie McCallion getting abuse and what a great player he was So expectations. Based on money carry that danger element if the goods are not produced at once then sustained

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Can we win it next season? Maybe. Will we win it? I don't think so.

Personally I see this season as Higgins first full season, he only missed 6 games. However, it'll be his first season in which people have real expectations. It'll be a different kettle of fish. You can already sense the expectations getting out of hand. I don't think winning the league next year is realistic. It takes a few seasons to build a winner. Anyone who is expecting us to win it needs a reality check imo.

As you say Greengo, I think Higgins has the attributes to get us up challenging a few years on the bounce. The way he has turned our season around has been incredible. Initially there was a fair few things going our way (you make your own luck) but now he has the team performing and a more attacking style is beginning to take shape. Higgins alone is my biggest reason for hope, give him good players I feel he can make them into a good team. Also, players want to play for him! (and the money).

The squad as it stands now is not good enough to win the league in my opinion. Even next year with Fats, Duffy and possibly Patching/Kelly we wouldn't be strong enough imo but it's definitely a top 3 team. We have to remember that there are still 3 or 4 other decent teams in the league who will hope to improve. Shams, Pats and Bohs will be thinking the same thing I would imagine. Its important that we qualify for Europe a few years in a row so that external money comes in too.

We might not win but I think we can expect to have a good time!

Venkman

Post by Venkman »

The notion that we didn't buy the league in 1989 is laughable. We did but who cares? It was from money generated by Derry fans.

Similarly if a Derry fan wants to bankroll the team in the next few years then brilliant. We are much disadvantaged in many ways in Derry as a place with lack of investment...let's enjoy whatever success comes our way without any guilt.

Football is about escaping and dreaming away from the day to day boredom. Back in 1989 football fans didn't argue about balance sheets, human rights abuses, sugar daddies or mercenaries.

As for when we can compete who knows. But the LOI is one of the most volatile leagues in the world. After several years of domination Cork are in the first division and Dundalk might join them there in a year or two. Nothing is set in stone.

When the adventure is over POD will leave the club on an even footing. We aren't gambling with our future here so enjoy whatever comes our way.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

I would be happy enough to get European football for couple years then go for the league long term plan,Rome wasn't built in a day.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I'd be happy with a Top 3 finish and a solid Cup run next year.

I don't think my nerves are ready to handle us being genuine title contenders for another couple of years yet :lol:

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Venkman wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 am The notion that we didn't buy the league in 1989 is laughable. We did but who cares? It was from money generated by Derry fans.
We didn't just buy the league in 1989. We bought the guts of the 4-in-a-row Shamrock Rovers team that dominated in the mid-1980s - plus their manager - and used them to help win the league for us :D Just when they went homeless as a club too. #brutal

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I don't see us as being capable of winning the league next season, based on signings so far. Yes we will be a stronger team for sure, and maybe we have a few great signings that may happen in the close season, but I think we are still a fair bit behind Rovers. And remember, spending money doesn't always equal success.

I would agree that next year is all about getting closer to the top team(s), and I would say that Top 3 is probably a bare minimum requirement, and use that as a springboard to a title challenge in the next 2 years after that.

But a lot will depend on what sort of talent we attract. We will always be competing against teams which some players will find more attractive due to either wages of location.

I think the establishment of the academy to provide future players is vitally important. Thankfully this seems to be one of PODs priorities.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Great posts so far nobody is having a go. From my stance I can see us challenge for the league. Why? 1 we have a great back 5 2. We have good cover here too 3. We couldnt produce from mid field for a long time and even lately we reverted to diagonal balls left but the arrival,of 2 class creative players so far Fats and Duffy Backed by the super Harkin and wee Mc Laughlin and POSs one more from this years squad means we are so so much better already .3 We would need to address the strikiners tho They will get better support def so it might be the answer but one natural predator would be so so great btw Chris Shields now he could do a Felix if he could be prised from the Blues . I know he’s not a striker so I’m a bit off context here
Re buying the League how I hated seeing our own boys developed here poached away with cash then dominate theIr respective Leagues with skill was v v hard t to take esp from Ddalk whose paltry 100 away fans here really bugged me SoIM happy our boys are coming home where they belong but throwing a lot of money at it is not my scene . So maybe stop when we get a top striker and give it a lash

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

stevebradley wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:38 pm [quote=Venkman post_id=272367 time=<a href="tel:1634079666">1634079666</a> user_id=56]
The notion that we didn't buy the league in 1989 is laughable. We did but who cares? It was from money generated by Derry fans.
We didn't just buy the league in 1989. We bought the guts of the 4-in-a-row Shamrock Rovers team that dominated in the mid-1980s - plus their manager - and used them to help win the league for us :D Just when they went homeless as a club too. #brutal
[/quote]
brandyball wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:57 pm I think if Big Phil is willing to buy into it then I think we should all buy into it. Let's get the season tickets out for next season (Covid Permitting) and get the Brandy rocking again.
When Derry won the league second time round, and Felix hadn’t the same money available, then nearly done it again only for a draw with Athlone.
All clubs have a history of ups and downs with some fans having tantrums if not winning the league on a regular basis.
I’m a bit long in the tooth and content to lift the league once in a while with a more regular qualification to Europe the main goal to raise cash and share the financial burden of running a team.
P.S. Cups don’t gender the excitement they use to, and the same for friendlies.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Next year is too soon. Rovers are the dominant force in the league now and fair play to them. They've invested into their youth setup and make a bit of money off it too. Saying that they still make a loss as. club so their first team wage bill must be huge.

If we can build some momentum, nick a european place this season, challenge next season, win a cup even... then maybe our younger boys will gain the experience necessary to win a league the following season.

Rome wasn't built in a day. But rest assured we're in safe hand with Higgins in charge and the money will be spent well.