Derry City v Longford

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
rodgers
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Longford

Post by rodgers »

Good to see all three forward players score for second game in a row.

Thought Longford well organised but limited.

On the stream, it look like both sets of players were unable to control the ball on that pitch. It was shocking at times and probably contributed to the quality of the game.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:54 pm
eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 pm
eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:45 pm Manager will need to tell Hery “ALl Longfords first half best chances came from your sloppiness” I saw this trait as he played for Linfield a lack of real drive “I play my pretty pretty football like it or lump it “ v He is v v talented BUT IS HE a team player we shall see second half Hope he picks it up we need a bit of class but not at the risk of gifting the other team great chances
[
Wee Mc Laughlin showed Hery how it’s done Great sub by boss Fitz can’t play full stop Two 3sec cameos in 2 games is hardly justification for keeping him
Sorry I thought Hery and Fitzgerald played very well.
Brandy. 4 times Hery lost the ball 40 yds from our goal and in each case a Longford attack might have scored. Higgs went ballistic so Heary chopped a man right outside our box and that was a great chance for Longford . Watch replay as Toal berates him for standing off his player and not tackling. Rem I saw him at the Blues He plays easy balls but not a lot of tackles Fitz I think has one touch and that’s it I’ve watched him a lot and he fails to impress me despite getting the best of support from Boyce But that’s my just my take on it I though Mc Laughlin and Jack changed the dynamics greatly At BOHS too mcLaughlinswork rate was immense that’s what we need at present battling every game I do think Higgs was worried playing him two hard games in a row so that’s why I’m critical of Hery not stepping up to the high srandards the wee lad is setting

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:52 am
brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:54 pm
eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:37 pm

Sorry I thought Hery and Fitzgerald played very well.
Brandy. 4 times Hery lost the ball 40 yds from our goal and in each case a Longford attack might have scored. Higgs went ballistic so Heary chopped a man right outside our box and that was a great chance for Longford . Watch replay as Toal berates him for standing off his player and not tackling. Rem I saw him at the Blues He plays easy balls but not a lot of tackles Fitz I think has one touch and that’s it I’ve watched him a lot and he fails to impress me despite getting the best of support from Boyce But that’s my just my take on it I though Mc Laughlin and Jack changed the dynamics greatly At BOHS too mcLaughlinswork rate was immense that’s what we need at present battling every game I do think Higgs was worried playing him two hard games in a row so that’s why I’m critical of Hery not stepping up to the high srandards the wee lad is setting
All I know Fitzgerald gave his marker a torrid time, beating him at will. As for Hery he's a full international so he's probably doing something right. Agree about McLaughlin tho.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Brandy don’t want to fall out with you ever …but re Fitz ….that’s exactly my point He beats the man ,that’s his one trick ;then he cannot deliver the shot or the cross or a pass Re Hery ……At Waterford he was immense …..as was Walter but I feel he is going through the motions at times I thought he would make us go to be honest but Internstional or not he’s played v few games sand that poses a doubt in my head. This League is at times v v good and you can’t lose the ball 40myards out again and again and hope not to be punished. Better strikers would have killed us off on Friday due to these errors
But I’m a bit critical I know as was at Bohs on Monday and teamwork was immense That’s the standard Higgs is aiming for Players must get up to that I think The money’s good ….the backings good ….but they must produce …..That’s why Big Crack was revered here He produced timeand time again as young Mc Laughlin is trying to do young as he is
But we will not fall out `I hope Perhaps on plush Tallagh Hery. Might just lead us with skill II sincerely hope he does. We are so close now I think and next season is exciting already with the bulk of this great squad PLUS ???

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm Brandy don’t want to fall out with you ever …but re Fitz ….that’s exactly my point He beats the man ,that’s his one trick ;then he cannot deliver the shot or the cross or a pass Re Hery ……At Waterford he was immense …..as was Walter but I feel he is going through the motions at times I thought he would make us go to be honest but Internstional or not he’s played v few games sand that poses a doubt in my head. This League is at times v v good and you can’t lose the ball 40myards out again and again and hope not to be punished. Better strikers would have killed us off on Friday due to these errors
But I’m a bit critical I know as was at Bohs on Monday and teamwork was immense That’s the standard Higgs is aiming for Players must get up to that I think The money’s good ….the backings good ….but they must produce …..That’s why Big Crack was revered here He produced timeand time again as young Mc Laughlin is trying to do young as he is
But we will not fall out `I hope Perhaps on plush Tallagh Hery. Might just lead us with skill II sincerely hope he does. We are so close now I think and next season is exciting already with the bulk of this great squad PLUS ???
Good Points well made. Maybe you'll grow to love them like Junior and Akintunde :lol:

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Hery wasnt great. But some of the passes he recieved with men around him, when there was better balls on didnt help. The pitch to didnt help.
The full back won 99% of the 1 on 1s with Fitzgerald. Had no right foot playing right wing.
Mclaughlin played well when he came on. Probly found space better than hery, or maybe longfords tactics were to keep a man on hery

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm
eugenio wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm Brandy don’t want to fall out with you ever …but re Fitz ….that’s exactly my point He beats the man ,that’s his one trick ;then he cannot deliver the shot or the cross or a pass Re Hery ……At Waterford he was immense …..as was Walter but I feel he is going through the motions at times I thought he would make us go to be honest but Internstional or not he’s played v few games sand that poses a doubt in my head. This League is at times v v good and you can’t lose the ball 40myards out again and again and hope not to be punished. Better strikers would have killed us off on Friday due to these errors
Good Points well made. Maybe you'll grow to love them like Junior and Akintunde :lol:
Akintunde will haunt me like a spectre Junior hasn’t dived in 3 games Mayybe they are reading my posts I am humbled lol lol lol 😂
Akintunde will haunt me like a spectre lol Junior hasn’t dived in 3 games Hey maybe they read my posts lol lol lol I am humbled

mickeyh

Post by mickeyh »

agree that Hery and Fitz were fairly poor although both had their moments. Felt Hery often took too many touches while there was runners ahead of him, and he did get caught in possession - in contrast when replaced i thought McLaughlins pass for Lafferty in the build up to the 3rd goal was top drawer
Fitz, likewise had a few moments but didn't deliver enough and ran blindly into the full back too often. TBF he played his part in the second goal but only after McGonigle showed how to whip a ball in from the right wing - something Fitzgerald didnt do nearly enough..
Thought we missed Joe thompson, but overall an enjoyable game and the improvements continue..
goals here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PrXqHV1Bzg

Last point, thought Longford were good to watch (obviously lacking strenght) but even when behind kept trying to play out and move the ball quickly

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

mickeyh wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 pm agree that Hery and Fitz were fairly poor although both had their moments. Felt Hery often took too many touches while there was runners ahead of him, and he did get caught in possession - in contrast when replaced i thought McLaughlins pass for Lafferty in the build up to the 3rd goal was top drawer
Fitz, likewise had a few moments but didn't deliver enough and ran blindly into the full back too often. TBF he played his part in the second goal but only after McGonigle showed how to whip a ball in from the right wing - something Fitzgerald didnt do nearly enough..
Thought we missed Joe thompson, but overall an enjoyable game and the improvements continue..
goals here:

Last point, thought Longford were good to watch (obviously lacking strenght) but even when behind kept trying to play out and move the ball quickly
So,glad that you saw the same things Don’t want people too,think I don’t like some players But players cannot just get on unless they contribute I do congratulate Fitz on bursting on the scene at BOHS for Mc Gonigles cross tomJunior and the lay off v Longford But what I’m saying is 2 tiny moments aren’t enough I FEEL IN A COMPETITIVE LEAGUE

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:16 pm
mickeyh wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:38 pm agree that Hery and Fitz were fairly poor although both had their moments. Felt Hery often took too many touches while there was runners ahead of him, and he did get caught in possession - in contrast when replaced i thought McLaughlins pass for Lafferty in the build up to the 3rd goal was top drawer
goals here:

So,glad that you saw the same things Don’t want people too,think I don’t like some players But players cannot just get on unless they contribute I do congratulate Fitz on bursting on the scene at BOHS for Mc Gonigles cross tomJunior and the lay off v Longford But what I’m saying is 2 tiny moments aren’t enough I FEEL IN A COMPETITIVE LEAGUE
You probably miss Jamie McDonagh. :lol:

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Dundalk beating Bohs 2-1.

We are now 4 points clear in 4th with Bohs having only 1 game in hand.

Imagine if we had gotten rid of Devine sooner. Took some flak early on for saying we needed a change after too many dreadful performances (some of which we collected points from) but my god have we turned a corner since. Incredible to think that this season has been salvaged. We actually have something to play for in the run in which is incredible. Also, during Higgins early games we got results by scoring from pens or set plays. Now we are scoring from open play and have 3 very different forwards.

We could still finish 3rd,4th, 5th or 6th depending on the run in and the form of other teams. Don't rule Dundalk out from a late charge and Bohs may get their act together soon. Sligo are hanging in there still.

Full credit to the coaches and players for making this an unforgettable season of lows and highs. Europe remains a possibility which is great as we're sure to enjoy big crowds from now until the end of the season.

Talking of which Rovers have sold out 4k for our game on Friday. Good to see the fans returning in numbers even if we have been locked out of that game.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Amazing turn around alright. I said when Higgins took over if he keeps us up I'd be happy and anything else now would be a bonus. Now with 8 Cup finals until the end of the season it could be a hell of a roller coaster ride.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Marco, you're a brave man posting that before full time :lol: Thankfully it ended that way. It was a great game, similar to ours with Bohs last Monday!

If we had those 6 games back i'd be very confident that we'd finish in the top 3 from this position. However, we know what we need to do. We have to play Bohs/Sligo at home, we have to take advantage!

You're absolutely right about the early games under Higgins, we had luck on our side with set piece goals etc and scraped the results to put us in contention. You could see what he was trying to do but it was too early/missing players. Recently it has started coming together and we're clicking into gear.

We might not get Europe but ever since Higgins came in there's been progress and optimisim aplenty

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Bohs game in hand is against Rovers. Still alot to play for and I feel a top 4 finish is in our own hands. The top 5 still have to play each other.
I think Sligo are the more precarious position with their overall form not good.
It won't be easy but at least it's in our own hands.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm Marco, you're a brave man posting that before full time :lol: Thankfully it ended that way. It was a great game, similar to ours with Bohs last Monday!

If we had those 6 games back i'd be very confident that we'd finish in the top 3 from this position. However, we know what we need to do. We have to play Bohs/Sligo at home, we have to take advantage!

You're absolutely right about the early games under Higgins, we had luck on our side with set piece goals etc and scraped the results to put us in contention. You could see what he was trying to do but it was too early/missing players. Recently it has started coming together and we're clicking into gear.

We might not get Europe but ever since Higgins came in there's been progress and optimisim aplenty
When I was writing it they where 2 nil up and had to change it... :lol: