Sligo Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Marty
First Team
First Team

Re: Sligo Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

Post by Marty »

We need a second keeper. My opinion on Gartside is that he is outstanding, and it's a massively changed opinion.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm We need a second keeper. My opinion on Gartside is that he is outstanding, and it's a massively changed opinion.
3rd Keeper.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Marty wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:32 pm We need a second keeper. My opinion on Gartside is that he is outstanding, and it's a massively changed opinion.
I think we need to temper the hype going around here lads. As a shot stopper he's good but I have very little confidence in his presence at set pieces. Too many times he comes out and flaps at the ball, missing it completely. He's been lucky not to have been caught out. For me he doesn't have great command of his box.

I also think he's quite hesitant to come off his line, whether it be to gather a through ball or receive a pass.

After the first few games I thought it was going to be a disaster but it hasn't been since then. The good thing is he's young and he's getting the experience now. Hopefully he continues to improve in areas other than shot stopping, however Higgins was in the market for a #1 and I think he might return in the off season.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

I think we needed to make a change last season and we did. Cherrie's final season was poor by his standard.

Gartside is young but you wont get experience sitting on the bench. Yes, he had a slow start but it was in a team with no confidence or game plan. So he's benefitting like everyone else from Higgin's influence. Now its evident that Higgins was looking for a replacement but we'll see how the season plays out and if Higgins still thinks a replacement is necessary.

I hope we don't change for change sake. No one is perfect but for a young keeper Gartside is improving with every game and deserves his credit for contributing to our current run of results.