Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Even midway through last week I was still reading comments from Drogheda fans as to how Massey deserved a red card, never mind Derry getting a penalty? Clearly they all know the rules of the game down in Louth. As the team feel hard done by, I can see Drogs attacking this game with a bit more contention.

Email on tickets for members will surely follow in the coming day or so, otherwise it is live on LOITV, Radio Foyle and Drive 105. Also, don't forget to purchase the match day programme. All money raised goes directly to the club

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

Another 6 pointer.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 am Even midway through last week I was still reading comments from Drogheda fans as to how Massey deserved a red card, never mind Derry getting a penalty? Clearly they all know the rules of the game down in Louth. As the team feel hard done by, I can see Drogs attacking this game with a bit more contention.
Maybe that had something to do with the main commentator on LOITV trying to claim "double jeopardy" in the award of the penalty. Double jeopardy only comes into play if a defender tries to win the ball in a tackle, in Massey's case he decided to play goalkeeper.

Then there was Gary Rogers posting a still image on Twitter which made it look like it hit his chest, which was rightly called out by Paddy McCourt.

I agree with you, I think Drogs will have that game still fresh in their minds & will be up for this as they will no doubt still feel hard done by, even though the 3 main refereeing decisions made on the day were 100% correct from Paul McLaughlin

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

600 allowed for this game apparently.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:36 pm 600 allowed for this game apparently.
Read that but also read that a further update is expected on Wednesday?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:27 pm
brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:36 pm 600 allowed for this game apparently.
Read that but also read that a further update is expected on Wednesday?
Aye someone else posted elsewhere could be up to 1000

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm I agree with you, I think Drogs will have that game still fresh in their minds & will be up for this as they will no doubt still feel hard done by, even though the 3 main refereeing decisions made on the day were 100% correct from Paul McLaughlin
I actually feel they have a valid shout with the 2nd yellow/dive/pen decision. It would have been soft but it's very much in the 'seen them given' category, I thought there was contact tbh.

For this game i'd like to see Hery start, assuming he's fit enough.

If Boyce is out then chances are Malone will start at RB/RWB. He's more attack minded than Boyce but has a tendency to be caught out of position. Worth keeping an eye on how Drogs attack.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Hearing that we've been given clearance to increase our attendance to 1.1k. Unsure if this will apply to Friday night tho. Fingers crossed it does.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Nige92 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:43 pm I agree with you, I think Drogs will have that game still fresh in their minds & will be up for this as they will no doubt still feel hard done by, even though the 3 main refereeing decisions made on the day were 100% correct from Paul McLaughlin
I actually feel they have a valid shout with the 2nd yellow/dive/pen decision. It would have been soft but it's very much in the 'seen them given' category, I thought there was contact tbh.

For this game i'd like to see Hery start, assuming he's fit enough.

If Boyce is out then chances are Malone will start at RB/RWB. He's more attack minded than Boyce but has a tendency to be caught out of position. Worth keeping an eye on how Drogs attack.
He threw himself down when he saw the leg come out. Just because the camera angle makes it look like there was contact doesn't mean there was & even if there was, not all contact is a foul either

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:03 pm He threw himself down when he saw the leg come out. Just because the camera angle makes it look like there was contact doesn't mean there was & even if there was, not all contact is a foul either
I don't disagree, I'm just saying I can see their POV. If it was a Derry player we might be claiming the other side

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:16 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:03 pm He threw himself down when he saw the leg come out. Just because the camera angle makes it look like there was contact doesn't mean there was & even if there was, not all contact is a foul either
I don't disagree, I'm just saying I can see their POV. If it was a Derry player we might be claiming the other side
Our footage from behind the goal convinced me. It's not clear-cut either but certainly looks like he pulled his leg back in time and Brown just went for it. I try to be as unbiased as possible but I think the ref got all the big calls right here, which makes Hoey's blog post about the refs even more harsh - no matter how nice or kind he was trying to be. Drogs only have themselves to blame for those red cards.

Still have to agree with everyone else though, they'll be on fire for this one.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

There was about 500 tickets on general sale ten mins ago.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

About 100 left now. All kids and concessions gone.

doirebhoy

Post by doirebhoy »

A genuine request here guys, I’ve just bought a ticket for Friday nights game, I assumed I could have picked the ticket up at the ground or Myra’s but it seems I have to print the ticket off. My problem is I don’t have a printer, I’m almost 70 and too old now to learn new skills, Homer Simpson once declared that at this age if one was to try to remember new things that the conveyor belt in our heads automatically removes other information in exchange, so it’s quite likely that I could forget where I live or where my car is parked!
The email mentioned a PDF……… I thought these such days were behind us now…..perhaps not.
Can anyone assist me, a total Luddite, please?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Could you open the email on your phone on the way in, and present the barcode/QR code to the turnstile reader?

Not sure if that would work?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

It's fine to show on your phone. That's what I do

STANDUP

Post by STANDUP »

I dont have email on my phone so i took a photo of ticket and it scanned ok.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

No new injury news according to Higgins. Only Walsh missing. Boyce must have recovered from the injury that took him off in Longford

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:31 pm No new injury news according to Higgins. Only Walsh missing. Boyce must have recovered from the injury that took him off in Longford
Reported on Derry News it was a dead leg.

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

DERRY CITY FC
1 Nathan Gartside
3 Ciaran Coll
4 Ciaron Harkin
8 Joe Thomson
10 Jamie McGonigle
11 James Akintunde