Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
footman
First Team
First Team

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by footman »

Brilliant result and another clean sheet :D :D :D

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

At last tHank God for that
A wee aside Dundalk were hammered by injury ….. all innocent looking. any ideas ? Are they overplayedvjust now looked v v lethsrgic
Last edited by eugenio on Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Brilliant result in what was quite a dull game in my opinion.

We started so bright, created 3 opportunities in the first 6 minutes. We were on top for the first 15 mins or so but from that point the game went into such a lull until half time. It picked up in the second half but I felt there was a real lack of urgency/energy throughout.

Losing McEleney was huge for them, he was their brightest player to that point. Hope the lad is OK but he looked as if he knew it was bad.

Dundalk were so off the boil. Barely created anything. Previously Duffy terrorised us but not today, he was well contained.

I felt Thomson was out best player today, some lovely turns and driving runs from midfield. Nearly got a goal too. A poor final ball on 2 occasions killed attacks however.

I didn't like how we played with a man up and about 10 minutes to go. We didn't seem to know what to do. Going for the corner with 4 minutes left was poor. Players seemed to want the game to just end.

Give Hery a contract now!

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Think Thomson has been good in recent games. Carries it forward much more than under Devine.

Akintunde wrecked by end.

Would have liked a goal other than through a set piece but a deserved win and created some chances from open play.

Pitch is a complete disgrace. On the stream it actually looked grey. There is a patch of grass at Showgrounds end where you can see what green looks like.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Fats went off with hamstring injury hope he's back soon. I never really knew what Thompson brought to us now I do.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

What a game! What a result!
We were the better team throughout except for a few brief periods. Akintunde was brilliant holding up the ball and laying it off. In fact you couldn't fault anyone. Not many frees conceded in our half - big improvement here.
Any one know when we last beat them?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Our last win over them was Maginn Park March 2017. Last win at the Brandywell before tonight was October 2012.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Folks - the pitch is going to be a big problem for us.

The standard of games on this surface over the last 4 years is falling away considerably.

It is shocking and is going to lead to injuries also.

Our performances on grass compared to this pitch are like night and day.

I was talking last week to a senior Irish League player who has played a lot of games on it, and he says it is a horrible surface and is a cheap surface which may also have been laid incorrectly. It is bone dry, doesn't retain any moisture at all and hence the bounce is so high. He says that all teams on the Irish League hate playing on it.

For us to kick on next season, this pitch will really hold us back, as naturally 3G pitches reduce in quality each year, so next year the pitch will be even worse.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:15 pm Our last win over them was Maginn Park March 2017. Last win at the Brandywell before tonight was October 2012.
I hope your not getting carried away with the result. :lol:

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Never. Hope is a bigger killer than bullets. Realism is the way forward.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

We all agree on the pitch. its should never have been laid. A cheap and nasty option by the Council. The sooner its replaced the better.

The performance today was first class. My only surprise was that Hery was sat on the bench and only brought on for the last 30 mins. McLaughin was out of his depth today. I thought we was first class last week but the game passed him by and we didn't have time on the ball because the quality of the opposition was better. Would have liked to have Hery on from the start or at half time.

Thompson was excellent. My MOTM. He was everywhere. Led by example.

Thought the entire back line were excellent. Keeper solid when called upon.

Jackie too - excellent.

Again every player gave it 100%.

McGonigle won the pen and then took it like an absolute pro. Dundalk complained and stalled but he was calm and buried it. Loved it.

Akintundi chased and battled for every ball. Still would like to see him drive at defenders when in the box rather than always look to cut it back.

Dundalk were disappointing. A shadow of the Dundalk of old. Fats was a big loss but Patching didn't deliver too much and Duffy was not too much of a threat stuck out on the left. They still have a hell of a squad. Bringing on Patching, Sloggert and Hoban off the bench. Despite that they just wern't the same fluid team like years past. A big ask for them to get top 4 now.

A 2nd goal would have been nice today but that's immaterial.

Great to get one over Vinny Perth too. :D

And what an ovation at the end. Happy Days.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 pm Never. Hope is a bigger killer than bullets. Realism is the way forward.
Sligo up next. At least our season is now looking interesting. Imagine if we go there and win!? The possibilities... :lol:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:05 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 pm Never. Hope is a bigger killer than bullets. Realism is the way forward.
Sligo up next. At least our season is now looking interesting. Imagine if we go there and win!? The possibilities... :lol:
Don't you be getting carried away.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

joe3576 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:00 pm Folks - the pitch is going to be a big problem for us.

The standard of games on this surface over the last 4 years is falling away considerably.

I was talking last week to a senior Irish League player who has played a lot of games on it, and he says it is a horrible surface and is a cheap surface which may also have been laid incorrectly. It is bone dry, doesn't retain any moisture at all and hence the bounce is so high. He says that all teams on the Irish League hate playing on it.

For us to kick on next season, this pitch will really hold us back, as naturally 3G pitches reduce in quality each year, so next year the pitch will be even worse.

Is seems that No ONe is taking the pitch thing seriously . It is a disaster. Even on LOI Eddie stood by the council decision on the grounds it makes money and is always “playable “ except in deep snow ??/ I think it’s time supporters shouted louder and says bring back a surface on which football can be played This surface is a disaster and will never help usv

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:25 pm
joe3576 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:00 pm Folks - the pitch is going to be a big problem for us.

Is seems that No ONe is taking the pitch thing seriously . It is a disaster. Even on LOI Eddie stood by the council decision on the grounds it makes money and is always “playable “ except in deep snow ??/ I think it’s time supporters shouted louder and says bring back a surface on which football can be played This surface is a disaster and will never help usv
The council will hardly listen to supporters, they never did before. It's time for the club to come out and say its not good enough, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:16 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:05 pm
Don't you be getting carried away.
I know. I really must stop. Getting all excited again. :D

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Anyone know the lifetime of a 3g pitch? Hopefully the council would put a grass pitch instead of another terrible artificial surface. We were sold a pup when we were told about a world class facility

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Andy Bernard wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:49 pm Anyone know the lifetime of a 3g pitch? Hopefully the council would put a grass pitch instead of another terrible artificial surface. We were sold a pup when we were told about a world class facility
7 or 10 YRS but that's only guidance?

Knowing our lot it'll be there in 20 yrs.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

That's the same pitch Dundalk play on,Coleraine is getting one installed at the moment,that's what I am led to believe.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Back to the match, if we were to do a star rating of every City player today, Nathan Gartside would be the lowest scorer. Not because he underperformed but because he had so little to do. He made two saves from McMillan and Duffy had a header in the second half. That was probably as tough as it got. Everyone else did a stellar job in holding Dundalk off. No-one in that 11, or subs, hid away. They stood up and were accountable. Thomson has been mentioned throughout the day. He has been a fantastic playmaker the last few games. He is threatening to score a bundle but he just hasn't had the luck. McGonigle, as I said last week is a pain in the hole to defenders and Boyle hated having to run after him. Fingers crossed he hits double figures by seasons end.

As for Dundalk, if I were a supporter I would be worried. Once McEleney went off injured (Lafferty was fortunate not to get a card) the creative spark was extinguished. Kelly's departure took the speed away and they became quite narrow and Derry pulled them out of position time again. After the match I realised their biggest problem today and that was no Chris Shields or a suitable replacement for him. Tell me, when was the last time you watched us over run Dundalk in midfield? We probably have to go back to 2013 in Oriel, or maybe the Maginn Park victory. Stanton was OK but he isn't near the same category of Shields or O'Donnell before him.

Today was special. Today was undoubtedly the best we have played all year and there is a great buzz but I still stand by that we are not equipped to beat Rovers, Pats and Bohs to one of the top 3 spots. Dundalk or any of the other teams not mentioned (us included) could win the FAI Cup. 4th doesn't guarantee Europe and quite frankly I stick to my pre-season prediction, that I will remind the overzealous who are making jokes at me such as Marco and Brandyball, anything above 5th is a miracle.