Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
KEVK
First Team
First Team

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by KEVK »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:20 pm Will probably be the same for us and Dundalk.
Hopefully it is.

I would be willing to sacrifice one home Euro tie this year to give our chairman, the council and the FAI a wake up call - plastic pitches should be scrapped completely at senior level.

If the council are unwilling to move back to grass.....then that may force our chairman into considering a move away from the Brandywell.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Face it, we will never move from the Brandywell.

Having a grass pitch relaid is our best hope.

daniel

Post by daniel »

So, KevK, who's funding a new stadium?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

daniel wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:05 am So, KevK, who's funding a new stadium?
Who's funding our team ?

Who's funding our new Academy ?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Paddydcfc2010 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:20 pm Will probably be the same for us and Dundalk.
On what basis ?

The problem Larne have is that their pitch had a 5-7yr lifespan, was laid 5yrs ago and has had a hell of a lot of usage since then.

Didn't our's have a quoted ifespan of something like 7-10yrs ? In which case we should be fine for another couple of years at least. I can't see the council having any interest n removing that surface before they absolutely have to, as they're skint.

Larne should really have checked their pitch earlier in the seaosn to knw if it wouldn't meet the grade if they won the league. Then they could have planned in a replacement for the closed season, rather than be forced to play elsewhere (presumably Windsor or Ballymena). But it sounds like it all came as a surpirse to them. So there's a lesson for us in this too.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

I played on the brandywell pitch last weekend - it is a very poor 3G pitch.

I have also been on the 3G surfaces at Cliftonville, Crusaders, Coleraine, Larne and Harland & Wolff Welders over the last few months.

Each of those 3G pitches is considerably better than the brandywell. And I really mean considerably better.

If Larne has been turned down for Europe, it is an absolute certainty that ours will do.

The pitch is very hard, dry as a bone, horrible bounce and clearly will give injuries.

We had injuries last weekend and did I not see 3 x UCD players injured on it too on Friday night ?

The pitch needs to be ripped up asap, before it starts to knock years of some players remaining career - Fats and Duffy in particular. Fats has a nagging injury that playing on 3G will only worsen over time.

Liam Coylw would have been finished at 26 on this pitch.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

stevebradley wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:44 am
On what basis ?

The problem Larne have is that their pitch had a 5-7yr lifespan, was laid 5yrs ago and has had a hell of a lot of usage since then.

Didn't our's have a quoted ifespan of something like 7-10yrs ? In which case we should be fine for another couple of years at least. I can't see the council having any interest n removing that surface before they absolutely have to, as they're skint.

Larne should really have checked their pitch earlier in the seaosn to knw if it wouldn't meet the grade if they won the league. Then they could have planned in a replacement for the closed season, rather than be forced to play elsewhere (presumably Windsor or Ballymena). But it sounds like it all came as a surpirse to them. So there's a lesson for us in this too.
8 years was quoted lifespan according to the document before council in January.

That document also said the following:
2.3 The FAI have advised that (based on their assessment) the current playing surface which is FIFA Quality Pro standard, is unlikely to be fit for elite level soccer beyond the 2023 season. The pitch is tested annually and has achieved the necessary FIFA certification (valid until 20.07.2023), however the most recent test report noted that the yarn was “showing signs of wear/fibrillation. Tuft loss problem across entire field especially around half way.” Additionally, the club have reported increased player injuries since moving from grass to a 3G surface in 2018. Both parties have stated their preference for a natural grass or hybrid grass surface to replace the current 3G synthetic grass carpet.
So it looks like we are valid until July 2023?

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

How much watering does it take to make a good 3G pitch.
Can I assume the pressure hose fed from a wheelie bin makes the difference!

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

paul60 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:25 pm How much watering does it take to make a good 3G pitch.
Can I assume the pressure hose fed from a wheelie bin makes the difference!
Yip, it's a joke.
Who was it that said we had a state of the art stadium?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Information day on proposed safe standing

https://www.derrynow.com/news/local-new ... m=facebook

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

So they will demolish Blocks A&B, that's positive at least.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

That new stand is a fantastic proposal. Full credit to the club, and especially also the architect (anyone know who it is? Gravity ?). I'm surprised they can fit so many peple in there, but let's hope it gets approved for that number when built.

I see it's beng described in the media as 'safe standing', but the image doesn't appear to be rail seating - which is what UEFA seems to be slowly moving in favour of re standing space. Anyone know more details re the proposal?

Huge credit to all involved for this.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

If delivered, the capacity is increased to 7.5k with a mix of seating and standing.

Standing also allows for cheaper ticket prices giving fans a choice (and freeing up seating) in the process.

Presumably a similar standing area could be delivered at the Showgrounds end where there is potentially even more space to work with.

Appears a 10-12k capacity is doable afterall which would return us to previous capacity levels.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:20 pm That new stand is a fantastic proposal. Full credit to the club, and especially also the architect (anyone know who it is? Gravity ?). I'm surprised they can fit so many peple in there, but let's hope it gets approved for that number when built.

I see it's beng described in the media as 'safe standing', but the image doesn't appear to be rail seating - which is what UEFA seems to be slowly moving in favour of re standing space. Anyone know more details re the proposal?

Huge credit to all involved for this.
Its 2910 standing and 30 spaces for wheelchairs - total capacity 2940

Though there will be two blocks of seating lost from the Southend stand...

Same architects as MF Stand - Ostick & Williams

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:23 pm If delivered, the capacity is increased to 7.5k with a mix of seating and standing.

Standing also allows for cheaper ticket prices giving fans a choice (and freeing up seating) in the process.

Presumably a similar standing area could be delivered at the Showgrounds end where there is potentially even more space to work with.

Appears a 10-12k capacity is doable afterall which would return us to previous capacity levels.
The Showgrounds end has the limitation of being very narrow at one end (the MF side), and also of having to keep the 'road' behond it clear for ambulances, OB trucks etc. But it would be interesting to see what the architects could propose for there.

With this proposed new stand and finsihing the MF, we should be close to 7,000 (2,900 new terrace / 2,100 MF Stand / 2,000 Southend). That would be sufficient capacity for most games for the foreseeable future. If the same new stand was then replicated at the Showgrounds End (and its more challenging than behind the Brandywell Road goals), that would get us to approx 9,500 or so (Blocks A and B of the Southend would presumably have to go), which would be a fairly perfect size really.

It does still leave the issue of European fixtires unresolved though. We need the ground to be Category 4 if we reach the same stages that either Linfield or Rovers did in the Conference League last year. That equires 8,000 seats plus a load of other stuff re carparking etc, which I think we'd struggle to provide even if we had the 8,000 seats. If the focus could now go on to how to meet the Euro regs then the stadium would be a workable home for all our needs for the foreseeable future.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:31 pm
marcoloco wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:23 pm If delivered, the capacity is increased to 7.5k with a mix of seating and standing.

The Showgrounds end has the limitation of being very narrow at one end (the MF side), and also of having to keep the 'road' behond it clear for ambulances, OB trucks etc. But it would be interesting to see what the architects could propose for there.

With this proposed new stand and finsihing the MF, we should be close to 7,000 (2,900 new terrace / 2,100 MF Stand / 2,000 Southend). That would be sufficient capacity for most games for the foreseeable future. If the same new stand was then replicated at the Showgrounds End (and its more challenging than behind the Brandywell Road goals), that would get us to approx 9,500 or so (Blocks A and B of the Southend would presumably have to go), which would be a fairly perfect size really.

It does still leave the issue of European fixtires unresolved though. We need the ground to be Category 4 if we reach the same stages that either Linfield or Rovers did in the Conference League last year. That equires 8,000 seats plus a load of other stuff re carparking etc, which I think we'd struggle to provide even if we had the 8,000 seats. If the focus could go on resolving this issue then the stadium would be a workable home for all our needs for the foreseeable future.
If delivered as per the drawings, and IF the MF stand is fully built out, the capacity will be 7,400. With the current MF 1/3 arrangement it would be 6,240. In the future, even if it was replicated at the other end your looking at 10k +

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

I think EUFA is allowing standing at European games this year correct me if I'm wrong.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

magspat wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm I think EUFA is allowing standing at European games this year correct me if I'm wrong.
I think so. With health & safety legislation now in place grounds are allot safer. Gone are the days (in Europe) when you'd just pack fans in and don't give any thought to safety. Stadium's require a license nowadays and there will be a maximum capacity stipulated. This can include seating and standing.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

magspat wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm I think EUFA is allowing standing at European games this year correct me if I'm wrong.
They've been doing a trial on it in England, Germany and France this year. No decision made following that as far as I'm aware.

Is that only for rail seating though - which is a very particular type of standing area (and what is traditionally known as 'safe standing'.) Basically where every row has a crush barrier in front. Some also have flip-up seats built into them to be used as seating for European fixtures. It's what Celtic Park has (the Glasgow version, not the Derry one :) ) = https://spfl.co.uk/news/rail-seating-se ... eltic-park

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

With the limited space and options, I think this looks decent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.