Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Keyser Soze »

I think if a grass pitch is restored to the Brandywell, the council have to try to find a way to keep it in good nick.

Ideally it should only be us playing on it, but it'll be us and Institute for the foreseeable, plus whatever D&D/SML games get scheduled for it. This is where a 4g pitch excels, it can host unlimited games every week, but a grass pitch will soon turn to crap if its overused.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:58 pm I think if a grass pitch is restored to the Brandywell, the council have to try to find a way to keep it in good nick.

Ideally it should only be us playing on it, but it'll be us and Institute for the foreseeable, plus whatever D&D/SML games get scheduled for it. This is where a 4g pitch excels, it can host unlimited games every week, but a grass pitch will soon turn to crap if its overused.
Look it’s a tripe. 3G. We all admit that now 3G could go in to SHOWGROUNDS Income retained Tallagh lovely pitch hear no moans there

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:58 pm I think if a grass pitch is restored to the Brandywell, the council have to try to find a way to keep it in good nick.

It's not just us and Stute who use the Brandywell though. It's Maiden City's home pitch as well. Plus various D&D games too. And training for teams, plus kids camps during school holidays etc etc. The multitude of users is exactly why an artificial surface was installed.

Realsitically there is no way that the Brandywell - a council-ownned facility that we pay relatively little to use - is going to be left for the exclusive use of Derry City.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Not Brandywell development related, but Rovers' rent for their licence with County Council is being increased.

https://www.extratime.com/articles/3334 ... l-council/

240k seems to be a headline figure that includes the lease of office and retail space though.

Having said that, I think Rovers made more in one night v Bohs recently than they got for winning the league so they can probably wear it easily enough.

I assume Derry's costs are lower but that the new North Stand will lead to an increase in our licence.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:10 am Not Brandywell development related, but Rovers' rent for their licence with County Council is being increased.

240k seems to be a headline figure that includes the lease of office and retail space though.

Having said that, I think Rovers made more in one night v Bohs recently than they got for winning the league so they can probably wear it easily enough.

I assume Derry's costs are lower but that the new North Stand will lead to an increase in our licence.
Wouldn't think so as we are the ones paying for it.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I agree with that sentiment Marco but as Steve pointed out at an earlier stage, the council will have some associated costs with maintenance and operation of stand once handed over to them. But I agree with your sentiment as Rovers didn't pay for their new stand.

At the same time, I don't think SDCC paid for the whole of the new stand either, most of the funding came from governmental sources.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

There may be some additional running costs associated with the stand such as utilities but unsure how these are captured in the lease. But generally the overall cost burden is with us.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:10 am Not Brandywell development related, but Rovers' rent for their licence with County Council is being increased.

It's not widely known quite how little we pay for the use of the Brandywell. I did an FOI request last year and got the breakdown.

The rent varies per game depending on attendance (as it's 10p extra per person over a certan base attendance), but we only pay roughly in the region of £1,000 per game currently. So assuming we have up to roughly 30 home games a season - depending on cup, Europe etc - that means we're probably paying less than £30k a year. Whilst Rovers pay just over £200k.

I know kicking the council is the national sport in Derry, but that's a pretty damn good deal really.

I haven''t been able to find out what is specifically included and excluded for that rent though. For example - does the matchday burger van income go to DCFC as the leasee, or to the council as the owners? It's an important distinnction as to whether or not it's worth the club putting more effort into increasing the matchday spend of our supporters.
Last edited by stevebradley on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:57 pm There may be some additional running costs associated with the stand such as utilities but unsure how these are captured in the lease. But generally the overall cost burden is with us.
The capital/build cost of the new stand is with DCFC. The ongoing running and maintenance costs of it is with the Council. And presumably there will be an increase in the rent the club pays to reflect that (and rightly so).

If they just stick with the existing 10p per additional supporter rental agreement, then the new stand will cost an extra approx £200 to the club per game - depending on how full it is, and how many incremental fans it adds (e.g it could be full, but have taken 50% of those from other stands in the ground).

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Yes, even with the current calculation, it'll go up anyway.

Ps I think we are licensees under a licence rather than lessees under a lease.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:31 pm
Ps I think we are licensees under a licence rather than lessees under a lease.
You're probably right on that. But regardless of the specifics of the 'rental' agreement, I'm keen to understand what is included. Could the club bring in a load of food and drink providers before matches for example, or would the council just pocket the money from that?

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Had a wee look at Longford town stadium Worth a look