Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 pm Really hoped I would never have to look at this thread again but here we are, in 2021 and Mark H Durkan is making a call for progression on the subregional stadia funds that would finish the Brandywell.

https://www.derryjournal.com/country-an ... bs-3140333
Finish?

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:55 pm Really hoped I would never have to look at this thread again but here we are, in 2021 and Mark H Durkan is making a call for progression on the subregional stadia funds that would finish the Brandywell.

https://www.derryjournal.com/country-an ... bs-3140333
I personally don't hold much hope because it took us long enough to get to the stage we are at with the Brandywell right now that I am very sceptical that Stormont would grant the council more money in a short space of time to complete the job.

Not only that, with Institute looking for money to build themselves a new stadium I would be very very surprised to see them providing funding for two stadiums in the same area located outside Belfast.

However, I do hope my gut feeling is wrong

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

There are 3 top level Irish League clubs in Mid and East Antrim District Council, all looking for stadium funding.

The clubs and the council recognised that that put them in a weak position and in danger of competing directly against each other, so combined to create a 'MEA United' organisation to push their case collectively.

Derry City, Institute and Derry-Strabane Council should have done something similar, as trying to get 2 stadiums funding in our area will also be a challenging ask

https://www.ballymenatimes.com/news/pol ... on-3117260

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Crusaders have just got planning permission for the work they want the Sub-regional Stadium Fund to cover, which you'd think would put them in a strong position.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belf ... l-19861124

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:42 pm Crusaders have just got planning permission for the work they want the Sub-regional Stadium Fund to cover, which you'd think would put them in a strong position.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belf ... l-19861124
Why's that? We got planning permission years back and have commenced works.

It still beggars belief that they (politicians) settled for funding for only 1/3 of a stand. It's typical of this part of the word being sold short and down the river. It also explains in part my previous post - 'finished?'. We should not kid ourselves that completing the new stand will finish the stadium. As a regional stadium there's still some way to go before I would declare the Brandywell finished.

porter

Post by porter »

I know it will be nice to see the stadium completed but is it needed. We don't really have the demand to fill the stadium the way it sits currently. If we had a title challenging team then the demand would out weight the supply making stadium expansion a must but we are a long way away from being title challengers.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Further development is more than just seats. We have portacabins for toilets. The club offices and shop is two storage boxes piled up. We have a media area that has four plugs to do a gantry, two seated areas at either side and a whole row in front that can't access those 4 points. Plus we have net storage areas that take the look off the stadium in photos and tv. You add to the wings and you could correct at least 2 of those 4 issues that I can think of.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 pm Further development is more than just seats. We have portacabins for toilets. The club offices and shop is two storage boxes piled up. We have a media area that has four plugs to do a gantry, two seated areas at either side and a whole row in front that can't access those 4 points. Plus we have net storage areas that take the look off the stadium in photos and tv. You add to the wings and you could correct at least 2 of those 4 issues that I can think of.
Whats that big glass fronted box on Southend stand used for?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 pm Further development is more than just seats. We have portacabins for toilets. The club offices and shop is two storage boxes piled up. We have a media area that has four plugs to do a gantry, two seated areas at either side and a whole row in front that can't access those 4 points. Plus we have net storage areas that take the look off the stadium in photos and tv. You add to the wings and you could correct at least 2 of those 4 issues that I can think of.
This is exactly what I was getting at. Good summary of the work still to do for a regional stadium.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:43 pm
Whats that big glass fronted box on Southend stand used for?
Nothing. There are issues with the roof that was reported to the council in 2018 but they were reluctant to fix it.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

porter wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:06 pm I know it will be nice to see the stadium completed but is it needed. We don't really have the demand to fill the stadium the way it sits currently. If we had a title challenging team then the demand would out weight the supply making stadium expansion a must but we are a long way away from being title challengers.
For most games we don't need it. But with Social distancing measures bigger stadiums will accommodate more. That aside Derry are only tenants at the Brandywell and so a regional stadium should be promoted on the basis of hosting other events of regional importance.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Wonder will this have any implications for us?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021/04 ... r-stadium/

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 am Wonder will this have any implications for us?

Not sure how it could to be fair ?

It's Stormont money that we're chasing.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:31 am Wonder will this have any implications for us?

Can we not tap the F.A.I?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:26 pm

How ? They're skint ! And any stadium money they dole out anyway comes to them from the ROI Governent. Which wwe don't qualify for, as we're not part of the Republic.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:39 pm

How ? They're skint ! And any stadium money they dole out anyway comes to them from the ROI Governent. Which wwe don't qualify for, as we're not part of the Republic.
Thanks for clearing that up.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

To be fair, Vince McMahon has billions in the bank and shouldn't be going cap in hand to the FAI or Irish Government.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brandyball wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:03 pm

No worries BB. And apologies if the above response unintentionally seemed a bit arsey (it did to me when I read it back this morning) :oops:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:39 pm
brandyball wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:03 pm

No worries BB. And apologies if the above response unintentionally seemed a bit arsey (it did to me when I read it back this morning) :oops:
NPS.By the way I like the way you sidestepped Dee's WWE reference. :lol:

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

So Coleraine have published a business plan for their new stadium which is an interesting read. This project is reliant on grant funding from Stormont but here's a few of their objectives...

Long Term
• Develop a national stadium for the North West at the The Showgrounds.
• Develop an all-seater family safe stadium to accommodate 6,000 to 8,000 spectators.
• Attract greater numbers to sporting events within The Showgrounds.
• Provide employment opportunities with the Coleraine Central/Cross Glebe area on both
a full time and part time basis.

Given that we too are in the North West and we too are reliant on grant funding to complete the MF stand I do wonder who will get the funds first. I recall being told our funding was secured but then that was a half truth. Hopefully, the Conncil and local politicians have not taken their eye of the prize for Derry.