Derry Nostalgic with...

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
rodgers
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry Nostalgic with...

Post by rodgers »

Fully agree Dee. Loved the Linfield games at the Brandywell but would also like the chance to play Coleraine, Larne etc.

I think an expanded format rather than a narrow format is the way to go eg get the like of Sligo to go the North and vice versa. Get the Belfast teams or Portadown/Newry/Warrenpoint playing Dundalk/Drogheda and vice versa.

I think you could have the final in either Windsor or Tallaght depending on the make up of the teams and regularly make it the next best attended game of the year on the island (possibly along with IFA cup) behind the FAI Cup final.

Now that we don't have the League Cup down here, I think we have some space in calendar for it certainly in so far as the LOi is concerned and I'd like to think there'd be space in IL calendar too to run the competition off despite winter and summer seasons. I think some of the earlier rounds could function as a pre season for the LOI almost and aim to have the final around April/May. Even if we drew say Institute in a round for example, it could be used to expose some of our younger players to adult football.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Didn't the tournament kind of die off as the LOI teams were handing out heavy beatings to the IL teams?

I think this might not be the case now though, as the IL teams have improved a bit since then, and the LOI standard has dropped off. I might be wrong.

But would be great to see some form of it back again. An away trip to Belfast would create a bit of a buzz about the club again I think. Will we get the odd idiot causing trouble, of course we will, but I think tlwe need to normalise these types of games, as the future for football on the island isn't in 2 separate leagues.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:34 pm But would be great to see some form of it back again. An away trip to Belfast would create a bit of a buzz about the club again I think.
I was thinking about this last night Keyser, there are grounds under the IL that I have never been to. Never watched a competitive match at Cliftonville, I have never been to the Ballymena Showgrounds or Mourneview and I haven't been to a game in places like Larne either. It is a chance to experience something different. Granted the grounds may be in areas that would be deemed not friendly but I would love to see what the supporters are like and interact with them.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:18 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:34 pm But would be great to see some form of it back again. An away trip to Belfast would create a bit of a buzz about the club again I think.
I was thinking about this last night Keyser, there are grounds under the IL that I have never been to. Never watched a competitive match at Cliftonville, I have never been to the Ballymena Showgrounds or Mourneview and I haven't been to a game in places like Larne either. It is a chance to experience something different. Granted the grounds may be in areas that would be deemed not friendly but I would love to see what the supporters are like and interact with them.
This is the reasoning behind why I would like one leg ties and an expanded number of teams. It would allow fans to get to see a greater range of teams plus two legs would tend to favour the LOI teams.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Group stages benefitted the LOI teams too. One leg ties would be the best because it would possibly raise the stakes to encourage teams to attack instead of setting up not to lose.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

So we are all agreed then, get this up and running again! :D