Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by micdaflic »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote:
micdaflic wrote:Seeing the club landlords are responsible for the temp loss of home, use Swilly Stadium It's secure with restricted access and plenty of parking Also seeing FAIlures won't agree to rescheduling games eg against Harps etc arrange to have home games played on Sundays at 11am[ no floodlights] This will also annoy the other teams but we could refer them to the Fai and DC council
I seriously don't think you thought this through before posting this. Seeing as Oxford cannot use the Swilly Stadium for their Irish Cup games due to lack of or non existence of turnstiles or stands, I would go as far to predict that it is unsuitable for us in its current condition. Also the FAI would not in a million years sanction a Premier Division game for 11am on a Sunday.
The point applies to whatever stadium is "approved"> Say Finn Park and Harps only let us use it at 11am or not at all then what does Fai do, make us play all our games at opponents pitches? Also if someone stumps out for a season ticket and can't travel will they be refunded? And you think I haven't thought this through!

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

micdaflic wrote:
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote:
micdaflic wrote:Seeing the club landlords are responsible for the temp loss of home, use Swilly Stadium It's secure with restricted access and plenty of parking Also seeing FAIlures won't agree to rescheduling games eg against Harps etc arrange to have home games played on Sundays at 11am[ no floodlights] This will also annoy the other teams but we could refer them to the Fai and DC council
I seriously don't think you thought this through before posting this. Seeing as Oxford cannot use the Swilly Stadium for their Irish Cup games due to lack of or non existence of turnstiles or stands, I would go as far to predict that it is unsuitable for us in its current condition. Also the FAI would not in a million years sanction a Premier Division game for 11am on a Sunday.
The point applies to whatever stadium is "approved"> Say Finn Park and Harps only let us use it at 11am or not at all then what does Fai do, make us play all our games at opponents pitches? Also if someone stumps out for a season ticket and can't travel will they be refunded? And you think I haven't thought this through!
I know you have not thought it through. As I said there is no way in a million years would the FAI ratify a game for 11am on a Sunday Morning and you really think Finn Harps would be only giving us a time slot of 11am? What would the FAI do? well they would tell Finn Harps to catch themselves on and give us a time more suitable e.g. 7:45 on a Friday night or a Saturday if Harps are at home the same week.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

I thought the plan now was for the work to commence after the end of the coming season so this argument about were we will be playing next season is irrelevant

NigellinaBallerina

Post by NigellinaBallerina »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote:
I know you have not thought it through. As I said there is no way in a million years would the FAI ratify a game for 11am on a Sunday Morning and you really think Finn Harps would be only giving us a time slot of 11am? What would the FAI do? well they would tell Finn Harps to catch themselves on and give us a time more suitable e.g. 7:45 on a Friday night or a Saturday if Harps are at home the same week.
So, in your eyes, Finn Harps would have to give Derry preference over Harps under-17s or under-19s who would be playing on a Sunday?

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

NigellinaBallerina wrote:
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote:
So, in your eyes, Finn Harps would have to give Derry preference over Harps under-17s or under-19s who would be playing on a Sunday?
No. If you read the post I was replying to, I was in fact dismissing the idea of an 11am KO on a Sunday morning, knowing that there is junior football on throughout the country at this time. Never mind the inconvenience it would cause the travelling team & supporters. Yes, Harps would be entitled to suggest what time they think Derry should use FP & if you also read on down my post you will see that I was asked the qs what the FAI would do if Harps tried this & answered by saying the FAI would tell them to catch themselves on & give us a more suitable time such as 7:45pm on a Friday or Saturday night. U17s & U19s are afternoon kick-offs on a Sat or Sun never night time kick-offs on Fri or Sat.

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

None of this takes into account the possibility that there is no obligation on Harps or any other club to allow DC the use of their ground or to change u17/18 games to suit DC/FAI or to fit .in Fri/Sat nites and what if a big fee is demanded?

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

micdaflic wrote:None of this takes into account the possibility that there is no obligation on Harps or any other club to allow DC the use of their ground or to change u17/18 games to suit DC/FAI or to fit .in Fri/Sat nites and what if a big fee is demanded?
Obviously there is no obligation but that's what negotiations are for

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

We supporters and the club just have to be thankful if someone offers use of their facilities as we have none of our own. Beggars can't be choosers. Derry City council have fumbled around under the direction of the councillors, we elected, to provide a stadium worthy of its citizens. Maybe with the aid of the Strabane councillors the new council maybe able to bring this to fruition earlier than the previous incumbents envisaged.

The provision of a ground to play on until the new pitch is ready is not the councils job, as they didn't, provide suitable facilities for the users of the old St. Columbs Park buildings. The former users had to scrounge around for other places until the new Foyle Arena was built.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Havnt heard anything from the dog men this past few weeks, are they now satisifed with the timetable for the redevelopment.

digital

Post by digital »

shauna wrote:Havnt heard anything from the dog men this past few weeks, are they now satisifed with the timetable for the redevelopment.
Dog track could be closed for up to 6 months. They are not happy and rightfully so.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Out of interest, and slightly off topic, when I speak with others who wouldn't be Derry City Supporters about the Brandywell I am always asked about the Doggy men then its followed with is Lifford still going? I remember when Lifford opened it was being blamed for the reason the interest in the Dogs races in Derry declined and everyone spoke about great nights there etc however I have heard nothing about the Lifford races. Is it still going?

Lkharps

Post by Lkharps »

TenaciousDee wrote:Out of interest, and slightly off topic, when I speak with others who wouldn't be Derry City Supporters about the Brandywell I am always asked about the Doggy men then its followed with is Lifford still going? I remember when Lifford opened it was being blamed for the reason the interest in the Dogs races in Derry declined and everyone spoke about great nights there etc however I have heard nothing about the Lifford races. Is it still going?
http://www.liffordgreyhounds.com/index-5.php

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

digital wrote: Dog track could be closed for up to 6 months. They are not happy and rightfully so.
Aye and with Pat Ramsey retired they have no real clout about decision making... #justsaying ;)

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

While all the talk on here has been where DC will play have the doggy men considered using Lifford,assuming it is available or are we to listen for ever about how they kept the Brandy going? They should be taking the lead here or put a muzzle on it

digital

Post by digital »

Greengo wrote:
digital wrote: Dog track could be closed for up to 6 months. They are not happy and rightfully so.
Aye and with Pat Ramsey retired they have no real clout about decision making... #justsaying ;)
Agreed :lol:

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

forza wrote:We don't need a new stadium. We aren't the worst stadium in Ireland and I am more than happy with our stadium.

But if we are to change it has to be outside the brandywell area. It's not a welcoming area for all
Welcoming area is not the club's problem but the city's. Regular numbers of support from other clubs would be more likely if a safe content environment was available for them to visit. The council is still short sighted with token events around the town from time to time. They consider voters as fodder with no teeth or have memory loss as to the council's paltry efforts since the last voting day.

If you are going to complain be prepared to do something about it and let the councillors know that your vote will be dependant on their action not their empty promises. If the prospective MLAs/Councillors don't engage you on the door step, ring them to collect their flyers that are littering your hallway and that you don't have room in your bin for that sort of rubbish.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:
forza wrote:We don't need a new stadium. We aren't the worst stadium in Ireland and I am more than happy with our stadium.

But if we are to change it has to be outside the brandywell area. It's not a welcoming area for all
Welcoming area is not the club's problem but the city's. Regular numbers of support from other clubs would be more likely if a safe content environment was available for them to visit. The council is still short sighted with token events around the town from time to time. They consider voters as fodder with no teeth or have memory loss as to the council's paltry efforts since the last voting day.
And sadly they're right to do so.

When was the last time there was a shock election result in Derry ? The last I can think of in NI as a whole was Naomi Long in East Belfast, but those following it on the ground saw it coming.

If people in Derry continue to vote in every election like it's a border poll, they'll get treated like sh!te by the people they elect. Fact.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

The people in the rest of the UK are treated like shite by their politicians never mind here.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

That will hammer season ticket sales.