Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Greengo »

Theres a piece of land down the Buncrana Road, facing Barbers Nisa shop... It was ear marked years ago as a potential site for a new stadia...
There has been a for sale sign up on it for years... Its a massive piece of land right on the doorstep of Donegal, right at the foot of a dual carraigeway that leads to the waterside & beyond and also on the outskirts of the City...

The Brandywell... right on the doorstep of Donegal, right at the end of a trunk road and also on the outskirts of the city...

Sound familiar...

Never mind the Fort George site, there are other possibilities for places to site a new stadium if only people would open their eyes...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

gary wrote:
stevebradley wrote: To remind everyone again - the Council has ALLOCATED £12.7m funding to do up Templemore Sports Complex. Does anyone want to give me a good reason why you couldn't use that to create a mixed-use civic stadium that would be a genuine community asset ? So much for there being no money available.
Because its in a disgraceful state and badly needs the investment and DCFC already have
a huge investment coming our way through the Council for our stadium.

Derry City FC is not the only sporting organisation \ group entitled to decent sporting facilities.
Any reason why you couldn't have a new version of Templemore Sports Complex - catering for lots of other sports as well as football - as part of a multi-use civic stadium development there ? A development that could then open up huge future opportunities for the city, and not just be limited to life as a local leisure centre ?

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

stevebradley wrote:
gary wrote:
stevebradley wrote: To remind everyone again - the Council has ALLOCATED £12.7m funding to do up Templemore Sports Complex. Does anyone want to give me a good reason why you couldn't use that to create a mixed-use civic stadium that would be a genuine community asset ? So much for there being no money available.
Because its in a disgraceful state and badly needs the investment and DCFC already have

Derry City FC is not the only sporting organisation \ group entitled to decent sporting facilities.
Any reason why you couldn't have a new version of Templemore Sports Complex - catering for lots of other sports as well as football - as part of a multi-use civic stadium development there ? A development that could then open up huge future opportunities for the city, and not just be limited to life as a local leisure centre ?
How many times has his been said on here? Also a multipurpose development would probably draw down a higher level of funding

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

micdaflic wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
gary wrote: Because its in a disgraceful state and badly needs the investment and DCFC already have

How many times has his been said on here? Also a multipurpose development would probably draw down a higher level of funding
Plus you could play the whole cross-community 'more neutral part of the city' card to get additional funding for a stadium there, including potentially EU Peace funds (the latest round of which is about to be released).

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

V v interesting posts here. Fascinated as being out of Derry I miss so much.
On a more mundane note. Could anyone tell me. If we open our League campaign in the Brandywell in March. Will we be playing in a building site. .we know the pitch for the first 4 homes is always horrible but will we be crammed into the Southend stand looking at piles of rubbish on the Lone Moor side or will there even be a semblance of a football stadium with temporary "stands" on the Glentoran site.
Rem the wonderful job Mick Wallace did at Wexford for the League Cup Final against us. And in Belfast the U 19 Rugby World Cup saw lovely temporary covered seating for the month of the tournament I'd hate to see us described as a proper "dump"

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

stevebradley wrote:
micdaflic wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
Plus you could play the whole cross-community 'more neutral part of the city' card to get additional funding for a stadium there, including potentially EU Peace funds (the latest round of which is about to be released).[/quote]

I can't see Templemore being any more neutral as i would bet the surrounding population is overwhelming Catholic.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

pmac wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
Plus you could play the whole cross-community 'more neutral part of the city' card to get additional funding for a stadium there, including potentially EU Peace funds (the latest round of which is about to be released).
I can't see Templemore being any more neutral as i would bet the surrounding population is overwhelming Catholic.
Sure there isn't a part of the cityside outside of the Fountain that isn't an overwhelmingly Catholic area ! :D

The point is that it wouldn't be labelled (incorrectly) as the Bogside, as the Brandywell often is ; be seen as an area protestants wouldn't feel safe, or somewhere the police couldn't go. We all know too well the problems the Brandywell faces, both perceived and actual.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

I think you're wasting your breath chatting about using Templemore. It's not going to happen.

Besides, it's in a pretty dreadful location for matches. Well outside the city centre, very limited public transport options, no real infrastructure around in terms of pubs, shops, chippies, etc.
Whilst the Brandywell may not have the best surrounding area, at least it is well catered for in terms of pubs, etc., and is within easy walking distance of the town.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

You could also spin it by saying that the Brandywell redevelopment could help regenerate that area, which I think is actually the plan of that Foyle Valley Gateway. If the city is to get bigger, it's in that area that I would like to see it develop.

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

brendy_éire wrote:I think you're wasting your breath chatting about using Templemore. It's not going to happen.

Besides, it's in a pretty dreadful location for matches. Well outside the city centre, very limited public transport options, no real infrastructure around in terms of pubs, shops, chippies, etc.
Whilst the Brandywell may not have the best surrounding area, at least it is well catered for in terms of pubs, etc., and is within easy walking distance of the town.
You say that like stadia elsewhere are right in city centres and that it would be impossible to stick on buses as required. I am old enough to remember in the fifties there were buses from the Waterside to Brandywell on match days and they parked along the wall at Brandywell bar. Also there already are 6 takeaways at Whitehouse versus zero the same distance from Brandywell. There is parking at Templemore and scope for more and you can bet that a pub will soon appear if the demand is there

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

brendy_éire wrote:I think you're wasting your breath chatting about using Templemore. It's not going to happen.

*cough* mixed-use development *cough*

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

Besides, it's in a pretty dreadful location for matches. .
i think that templemore (and the site greengo mentions) are fantastic locations. the greater shantallow area is on it's doorstep and main roads straight from the foyle bridge and beyond as well as the main road from letterkenny.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Wake me up when this is over !
HNY

DerryBhoy

Post by DerryBhoy »

micdaflic wrote:

You say that like stadia elsewhere are right in city centres and that it would be impossible to stick on buses as required. I am old enough to remember in the fifties there were buses from the Waterside to Brandywell on match days and they parked along the wall at Brandywell bar. Also there already are 6 takeaways at Whitehouse versus zero the same distance from Brandywell. There is parking at Templemore and scope for more and you can bet that a pub will soon appear if the demand is there
Rafters and The Cosh are within walking distance.They'd more than cater for the amount of people who go to a bar before games.

mickyroddy

Post by mickyroddy »

I think maginn and finn park are silly ideas . If we need a home from home this season I think Philip needs to approach the gaa about celtic park . It makes perfect sense .

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

Seeing the club landlords are responsible for the temp loss of home, use Swilly Stadium It's secure with restricted access and plenty of parking Also seeing FAIlures won't agree to rescheduling games eg against Harps etc arrange to have home games played on Sundays at 11am[ no floodlights] This will also annoy the other teams but we could refer them to the Fai and DC council

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

micdaflic wrote:Seeing the club landlords are responsible for the temp loss of home, use Swilly Stadium It's secure with restricted access and plenty of parking Also seeing FAIlures won't agree to rescheduling games eg against Harps etc arrange to have home games played on Sundays at 11am[ no floodlights] This will also annoy the other teams but we could refer them to the Fai and DC council
I seriously don't think you thought this through before posting this. Seeing as Oxford cannot use the Swilly Stadium for their Irish Cup games due to lack of or non existence of turnstiles or stands, I would go as far to predict that it is unsuitable for us in its current condition. Also the FAI would not in a million years sanction a Premier Division game for 11am on a Sunday.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

glug glug glug why do young ones have to associate going to the match with drinking.

Aaron C

Post by Aaron C »

forza wrote:glug glug glug why do young ones have to associate going to the match with drinking.
Drinking whilst going to a match isnt exclusive to just young ones, and lets be honest you would need a shitload of alcohol many a times the last few years to watch the shite served up :lol:

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

forza wrote:glug glug glug why do young ones have to associate going to the match with drinking.
It helps numb the pain of watching ;)