Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

Post by fergal »

Needs to go before Monday. Dundalk r bottom of the league. Sligo were 3rd bottom.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Another well earned point against another difficult team to beat… yawn.

It really is dull. Home & away. Doesn't matter if we’re playing top or bottom…

Please bring back UCD. That was guaranteed 12 points and 20 goals a season. :lol:

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

2 points against Dundalk and Sligo is such a poor return. Consistently underperforming, consistently struggling to create chances.... Not good enough.

He's got two more games at home v the two promoted sides. He HAS to win both. He'll be under big pressure.

Change for change sake may not be a bad idea...

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

There's nothing much that can be said that hasn't been said for most of the season.

Utter p1sh.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Cant believe how luckey he has been with other teams results this year. Have to be the most false 2nd place team in many a year. We don't even have shots on target in most games. Players couldn't be happy playing that system

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

We have to give it to the Manager for changing tactics, he got his excuses in before the game.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Derry had no interest in winning that match. Dundalk were the better team and should have won.

It's the been the same thing over and over again this season. Two wins in ten away from home.

For the budget and players we have it's just horrible to watch.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Count the empty seats on Monday.

No problem getting tickets for games any more.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Anybody see Big Phil?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Did anyone attend the AGM last Wednesday? Would be interesting to know if anyone raise concerns about the team's form

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Nothing will change. He's been given 3 years and Phil will honour that. We can only hope for a sudden change and for the other contenders to continue in consistently.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

The team has been under performing in too many games yet nothing changes. We play the same way every game I.e. slow and pedestrian. Supporters and commentators see this so why do our Management team not ? Not good enough.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

It didn't even feel like they wanted to win the match. Think the team is going backwards slowly. The same way they play matches.

Sometimes I think players and management more interested in their cvs from performances in Europe.

Franco

Post by Franco »

Nearly a full fit panel to chose from and the performances are not improving. It has to be a worrying time for the manager now.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

This was tripe at its worst . His fiddling is a disgrace Boyce a star dropped Donnican no where near Boyces skills on struggling too ,Mc Mullan gettin up,to support Hoban and Mullan lately and showing a lot of running and getting a few goals dispatched again to R wing where little ball comes . Shane allowed to keep keep keep ball why the hell for. I do not know Two great runs back and tackles in L Back position late on by who. Hoban ? Our striker
Subs on the line 6and a half mins before they were put on Of course no Mullan That would mean 2 strikers a mortal sin Fats then occupies almost a left back position
Then a vital piece of info from the stand in 51st min as Maher had made his third bad -kick out Message hurriedly got on via a sub if a pen awarded He iie. Dundalk player goes to the right it was unimaginably GROSS The manager then took his hands from his pockets and waved his arms to encourage spirit. Great but it was IN THE 92 min
We listened in to,a Podcast from Loi called Between the Stripes o way home they were scathing about Derry and the “ football” they play suggesting skill and a shot might be punishable by a sacking We have hit a new low after 2 seasons of drivel
But of course we are second
We are in Europe
It was a BIG POINT
Dundalk a good side row they are also a bottom side
A hard place to,go,to. So we will almost be told shut up and go away By the looks of it that is what might happen just soon

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

To be honest, if I am a Dundalk player/management/fan I would be raging that the side dropped points. Cameron Elliott had an opportunity in the second half with space and time to shoot and he skied it. That was their moment and in the second half they had better chances.

We, again, set up incorrectly from the beginning. Diallo has underperformed since his return, Patching who gave an interview last week demanding more intensity was a placid as a new born. What is going on with McJannett? He had a good game last week when he came on and started from the bench second game running? Why are we playing one up front against the bottom team? Hoban is so deep he may as well come out in scuba gear. He is coming to find the ball and knock it on, but no-one is there. McMullan and Duffy's crossing was poor tonight. Everything was low with no zip, Dundalk defence never really came under scrutiny.

Anyway, apologies for our lateness. 5pm a crash occured on the M1 that held up the traffic for an hour and a half. We made it to the ground at 7:40 and it took 6 minutes to get set up etc. Coincidentally we had Simon Collins in the car so it is no surprise that travelling hijinx ensued.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

"We possibly lacked that drive to get it over the line"

We hear about these pro's on mega loi money and they have no drive/desire to go and win a league. This echos to me a manager who has lost the dressing room, things have gone stale he / his taxtics can't motivate them to get the win.

Baffling

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Manager speak. Fed up with it.

Go back and read the Derry News website, it has all the previews and post match reports on games from weeks ago.

You'll see "we know we need to step up versus X, after last weeks poor performance, the boys are up for it". They they produce another crap performance.

The next week? Next preview is more of the same, "we were disappointed not to get the 3pts last week, but we know we can play better and hope to put it right this week against Y". And again another poor performance.

And so it goes on. I have stopped listening to our manager in pre and post match interviews, cos it's only hot air and meaningless sound bites. Nothing is changing and he may as well stop giving interviews for all the change he is making happen.

I also feel that our local media are too buddy-buddy with the management team. They never ask the hard hitting and tough questions. We have been truly awful to watch for the guts of 2 years now, yet he seems to be getting a by-ball. Perhaps the football community is too close knit in our city and reporters don't wanna be falling out with guys who they are quite friendly with. But social media and this website I think give an indication of the real feeling in the city. People are fed up watching sh1t. The increasing number of empty seats at every home game is also an indication. We are struggling to fill the ground now, yet are hoping to add an extra 4700 seats approximately over the next few years. If the football being served up is going to be like this in the future, forget about it. There will be no need for those seats, cos the club will be playing to the hard-core supporters who number about 1500.

Check out the crowd on Monday night. It'll be poor. I'm even asking myself do I want to go and watch more tedious football, I'm getting that fed up with what they are serving up.

I'd rather have a go, try to play exciting football and finish 4th, than watch this tripe every 2nd week and come 2nd.

Our manager wil be the first to tell you its a results business. It is to a degree, but football is still in the entertainment realm as well. Its competing with a lot more things now, and it's clear to see that people won't pay good money to watch crap. We are 2nd in the league and still in with a shout for the title, yet there's an exodus of fans. It should be the opposite when you're in a title chase. But the people are bored.

We want last long in Europe this year, and half decent team should dispatch us easily enough.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:19 am Manager speak. Fed up with it.

Go back and read the Derry News website, it has all the previews and post match reports on games from weeks ago.

You'll see "we know we need to step up versus X, after last weeks poor performance, the boys are up for it". They they produce another crap performance.

The next week? Next preview is more of the same, "we were disappointed not to get the 3pts last week, but we know we can play better and hope to put it right this week against Y". And again another poor performance.

And so it goes on. I have stopped listening to our manager in pre and post match interviews, cos it's only hot air and meaningless sound bites. Nothing is changing and he may as well stop giving interviews for all the change he is making happen.

I also feel that our local media are too buddy-buddy with the management team. They never ask the hard hitting and tough questions. We have been truly awful to watch for the guts of 2 years now, yet he seems to be getting a by-ball. Perhaps the football community is too close knit in our city and reporters don't wanna be falling out with guys who they are quite friendly with. But social media and this website I think give an indication of the real feeling in the city. People are fed up watching sh1t. The increasing number of empty seats at every home game is also an indication. We are struggling to fill the ground now, yet are hoping to add an extra 4700 seats approximately over the next few years. If the football being served up is going to be like this in the future, forget about it. There will be no need for those seats, cos the club will be playing to the hard-core supporters who number about 1500.

Check out the crowd on Monday night. It'll be poor. I'm even asking myself do I want to go and watch more tedious football, I'm getting that fed up with what they are serving up.

I'd rather have a go, try to play exciting football and finish 4th, than watch this tripe every 2nd week and come 2nd.

Our manager wil be the first to tell you its a results business. It is to a degree, but football is still in the entertainment realm as well. Its competing with a lot more things now, and it's clear to see that people won't pay good money to watch crap. We are 2nd in the league and still in with a shout for the title, yet there's an exodus of fans. It should be the opposite when you're in a title chase. But the people are bored.

We want last long in Europe this year, and half decent team should dispatch us easily enough.
Nail on head.

chucho

Post by chucho »

Agree 100% with above post by Keyser.

Won't be going on Monday. I work in Donegal so getting the public holiday - not spending it watching soul-destroying football.

Season ticket holder for 20+ years and suffered through the lean times before but this is just depressing.. Feel guilty, you could say I should go and support the team, but after the Sligo game I said that's enough and I'm voting with my feet.