Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad 2024

Post by brandyball »

joe3576 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:15 am I would have no doubt that we would have better in our under 19 squad and within some of the local players that we have just let go - than Kelly and Diallo this season.

Neither of those two have done anywhere near enough to justify a big wage and being selected each week ahead of players like Jackie and McEnuff.

I would rather a local kid get a chance than see those two lift big wages and offer little in return.

Kelly one goal all season

Diallo a liability and has given 3 penalties away and needless sendings off also.

Ryan MccBride, Barry MacNamee, Ronan Curtis, Rory Holden, James McClean, Conor McDermott all were given a chance

We are giving zero chances to any good kids at all.
So much for our Academy being a Pathway.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser Soze wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:19 am Interesting read

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0 ... transfers/
I won’t apologise for being basic and a lover of my own I DO NOT want to see “foreign ‘ players in Inwant to see young Derry players in . Some posts say they “aren’t up to it “ Yet they seem to do well enough with other clubs . I mentioned and see mentioned names of locals who brought great pride to our city and club in the past. I asked is this a thing of the past ??? No reply ? I believe there are Pizzas. Coyles Mc Leans Mc Callions etc etc etc there This is where they belong surely Not some foreign player ending his days on a big salary surely

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:18 am
joe3576 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:15 am I would have no doubt that we would have better in our under 19 squad and within some of the local players that we have just let go - than Kelly and Diallo this season.

Neither of those two have done anywhere near enough to justify a big wage and being selected each week ahead of players like Jackie and McEnuff.

I would rather a local kid get a chance than see those two lift big wages and offer little in return.

Kelly one goal all season

Diallo a liability and has given 3 penalties away and needless sendings off also.

Ryan MccBride, Barry MacNamee, Ronan Curtis, Rory Holden, James McClean, Conor McDermott all were given a chance

We are giving zero chances to any good kids at all.
So much for our Academy being a Pathway.
It would be great to see some of the local talent playing who could make a difference to the team.
Looking to last century CELTIC an all local team won the European Cup.
The man has now signed and I hope he’ll be given a chance to prove himself and make a difference to the team.
He has only a dozen games or so to do it, if he’s fit enough.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Anyone who thinks that a team full of local players or academy graduates would be any more successful, because they're local, is deluded.

The nature of football is that very few players make it to the top, whatever that may look like. League of Ireland standard requires a huge amount of talent. Young fellas from the u19s might look good at that level but senior football is a totally different ball game.

If we had a team full of local academy players and were mid table, you can imagine the pressure there would be to bring in outside players. People always think the grass is greener. It would be fantastic to have some players come through the system but it will only ever be one or two at a time.

Liam Mullan might come back a better player following his loan. Patton, who had a trial with Portsmouth, might do similar. But the levels required to play for a title contending team are huge.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:08 pm Anyone who thinks that a team full of local players or academy graduates would be any more successful, because they're local, is deluded.

The nature of football is that very few players make it to the top, whatever that may look like. League of Ireland standard requires a huge amount of talent. Young fellas from the u19s might look good at that level but senior football is a totally different ball game.

If we had a team full of local academy players and were mid table, you can imagine the pressure there would be to bring in outside players. People always think the grass is greener. It would be fantastic to have some players come through the system but it will only ever be one or two at a time.

Liam Mullan might come back a better player following his loan. Patton, who had a trial with Portsmouth, might do similar. But the levels required to play for a title contending team are huge.
I don't think anyone mentioned " a team full of local talent" or " Academy Graduates " some would just like to see locals getting a fair crack. I also think the " Brexit" issue is just a cover to explain a lack of incoming thus far.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:29 pm I don't think anyone mentioned " a team full of local talent" or " Academy Graduates " some would just like to see locals getting a fair crack. I also think the " Brexit" issue is just a cover to explain a lack of incoming thus far.
Two previous posters have suggested something close to it.

Brexit is one issue but it was not the entire issue. It limits our pool to choose from. The larger issue might be the manager appears to have near full responsibility for scouting and recruiting. I haven't seen or heard anything about a scouting department.

It's not right to ask a manager to devote time to management and to scouting/recruiting. The structures of the club will be our downfall.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

A topic on another Fan Page is sharing uncomplimentary opinions on our 'Academy'

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:29 pm I don't think anyone mentioned " a team full of local talent" or " Academy Graduates " some would just like to see locals getting a fair crack. I also think the " Brexit" issue is just a cover to explain a lack of incoming thus far.
The club had identified 2 players during the summer window from an EU country. They were interested in signing both. They contacted the relevant department to seek a work permit and they were told that it could take up to 12 weeks for the players to be registered and that was if everything was in order. So Brexit is having an effect on us bringing in players.

In terms of the local lads who are leaving. We have to be honest about a few of them. Jordan McEneff for example, I know he scored a few goals last season but I've never seen him put in a performance where I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He has had a lot of injuries as well and this was why Shels let him go. Jackie has signed a new contract and gone on loan to get minutes he desperately needs to get him going again. Mullan & Patton also signed extended deals and went on loan. I've never seen McCallion play so I'm not sure how good he was, but as mentioned there is a buy-back option there. We've seen it over the years with local lads who are around the squad and cannot break into the first 11, how many of them have left and had very successful careers elsewhere? There comes a time when you have to decide if a player going to make it or not.

On players coming here from the UK, we've had many over the years, good and bad. It's the chance you take, hopefully the lads we bring in before the end of August provide the boost the squad needs, especially at the back, and they push us over the line for the league and cup.

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:10 pm A topic on another Fan Page is sharing uncomplimentary opinions on our 'Academy'
Is this the facebook 'fan' page?? I wouldn't listen to a word spoken on there. Some 'characters' on that page, including one lad who's reply to everything is 'Dcfc all the way'

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:16 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:10 pm A topic on another Fan Page is sharing uncomplimentary opinions on our 'Academy'
Is this the facebook 'fan' page?? I wouldn't listen to a word spoken on there. Some 'characters' on that page, including one lad who's reply to everything is 'Dcfc all the way'
😀 The very same.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Any word on length of contracts?

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:47 pm
Nothing in the official DC link but all have travelled to Waterford.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

What happened the come to Jesus meeting and the new transfer policy it was meant to have heralded?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We are on rte sports news now re: transfers

BrandywellRedMariner
Reserves
Reserves

Post by BrandywellRedMariner »

:!:
BrandywellRedMariner wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:04 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:47 pm

Nothing in the official DC link but all have travelled to Waterford.
Robertson subs bench.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:29 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:08 pm Anyone who thinks that a team full of local players
I don't think anyone mentioned " a team full of local talent" or " Academy Graduates " some would just like to see locals getting a fair crack. I also think the " Brexit" issue is just a cover to explain a lack of incoming thus far.
Dear GOD LETS STICK TO WHAT IS BEING SPOKEN OF No one mentioned a ream “full of”,WE are asking can some local talent not get a game SOME local talent BREXIT HAS NO EFFECT AT ALL ON US EITHER

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

eugenio wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:30 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:29 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:08 pm Anyone who thinks that a team full of local players
Dear GOD LETS STICK TO WHAT IS BEING SPOKEN OF No one mentioned a ream “full of”,WE are asking can some local talent not get a game SOME local talent BREXIT HAS NO EFFECT AT ALL ON US EITHER
Eugene there's a number of locals in the squad... Coll, Doherty, Boyce, Shane, Fats, Duffy, Todd. How many do you want?

Brexit has an impact on all clubs based in the UK, how can you deny that? A post above detailed that we were unable to sign 2 players due to work permit regulations. This is the reality.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:13 pm
The club had identified 2 players during the summer window from an EU country. They were interested in signing both. They contacted the relevant department to seek a work permit and they were told that it could take up to 12 weeks for the players to be registered and that was if everything was in order. So Brexit is having an effect on us bringing in players.

In terms of the local lads who are leaving. We have to be honest about a few of them. Jordan McEneff for example, I know he scored a few goals last season but I've never seen him put in a performance where I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He has had a lot of injuries as well and this was why Shels let him go. Jackie has signed a new contract and gone on loan to get minutes he desperately needs to get him going again. Mullan & Patton also signed extended deals and went on loan. I've never seen McCallion play so I'm not sure how good he was, but as mentioned there is a buy-back option there. We've seen it over the years with local lads who are around the squad and cannot break into the first 11, how many of them have left and had very successful careers elsewhere? There comes a time when you have to decide if a player going to make it or not.

On players coming here from the UK, we've had many over the years, good and bad. It's the chance you take, hopefully the lads we bring in before the end of August provide the boost the squad needs, especially at the back, and they push us over the line for the league and cup.
Agree totally. Well said.