Waterford v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Waterford v Derry City Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

Anyone for Waterford?

Paul Hegarty yesterday lunchtime claimed that the panel available for tomorrow night will be the same as Monday's with no expected additions to return.

So far this season we have failed to win away from home whilst Waterford has only won once at home (Pat's in March and they were excellent that night). In terms of lineup I am going to predict that City may change their shape and one of Mullen or Hoban will be dropped. I am guessing this because away from home we may be a bit more cautious and change it during the game. Personally, i would stick with the same starting 11.

Feel free to post all team news, predictions and reaction. If you aren't heading to the game it is live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: Waterford v Derry City Match Thread

Post by Nige92 »

I would be surprised if we went with the same line-up to be honest. Higgins didn't seem thrilled with what it produced from a performance point of view.

I think how we line out will be based on Duffy's fitness. If he's not starting then I suspect we'll go for 3 at the back based on what is available.

Not expecting an easy game here, despite having beat them comfortably at home. I could see us coming away with just a point

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

It would be suicidal to play 4 4 2 away from home considering how much St Pats dominated procession wise at home. I'd like to see

Maher

Boyce Connolly McJannett Coll

OReilly Patching Doherty

Duffy Doherty McMullan

Hoban

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

barry wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:33 am It would be suicidal to play 4 4 2 away from home considering how much St Pats dominated procession wise at home. I'd like to see

Maher

Boyce Connolly McJannett Coll

OReilly Patching Doherty

Duffy Doherty McMullan

Hoban
It's worth a risk but don't think we'd get away with 12 starting

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Cracker lol 😂. We might even sneak Kelly in there even it all up,

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

If you fancy an extended build-up leading to kick off tonight, I will be live in the Drive 105 studio from 7pm.

Broadcasting on 105.3FM, on DAB and online, I will be talking to Ray Scott from WLRFM, who also interviewed Keith Long on my behalf. Packie Cooke interviews Paul Hegarty and I have an interview with Danny Mullen to share. Commentary from the RSC will be brought to you by Michael Kealey and Dermot Liddy, who will chime in before kick off with their thoughts.

I would like to thank everyone who has supported the broadcasts this season as we continue to find our feet in this new format.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 am Cracker lol 😂. We might even sneak Kelly in there even it all up,
No. Stop. Don't even joke...

Don't underestimate Waterford. That would give them an advantage... :lol:

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Even if he isn't prepared to keep the same team and formation as Pats, I'd still like to see a back 4.

We played 3 v Rovers and lost and switched to 3 away v Drogs and dropped two points. Our first half v Drogs when we were very good was with a back 4 and Coll at left back.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

rodgers wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am Even if he isn't prepared to keep the same team and formation as Pats, I'd still like to see a back 4.

We played 3 v Rovers and lost and switched to 3 away v Drogs and dropped two points. Our first half v Drogs when we were very good was with a back 4 and Coll at left back.
I think play as you say Use players strengths Connolly Mc Jannet then Shane and Todd are out and out c backs who hate ask to be brought wide because they leave holes Boyce ans Coll v v happy to defend wide and can help pushing on . Up front we seem to be there now I like the idea of O Reilly and Pathing with Mc Mullan and Doherty free to move inside and move off the ball. Obviously that leaves Duffy. If fit Who is out ? And where does Duffy play I really am at a loss Possibly Doherty is left out. I like Mc Mullan left free not playing 2 plsyers wide. But I’m a bit not sure tbh but the re shuffle to this back 3 leaves me cold esp,if Coll is axed and Doherty is played back there

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

any link for match tickets ?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Good win. 3 points. On we go to Galway……RAWA.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Good performance, controlled the game. 2 assists for Kelly.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Great result and a decent performance overall.

Pleased to see he stuck with same approach.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Played well in spells and deserved the win. Kelly had a good game as well, hopefully this is start of of a good run. Well done lads.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Good to finally get an away win this season. Might instill a bit of confidence.

Result was never in doubt, controlled the game and Waterford offered little.

As said, good to see Daniel play better. Hopefully it'll do his confidence the power of good, cos he's a better player than we've seen from him so far.

Rovers unexpectedly dropping points also welcome.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Good 3 points on the road. Much needed.

Pleased to see Coll retain his spot in defence and Hoban had a good game up front.

Lovely counter attack for the first goal and Hoban took his goal well for the 2nd but what is the keeper doing... :lol:

Great penalty by Patching. Is he our no.1 choice now for pens?

Nice to get a clean sheet as well and keep the show on the road but there will be tougher tests to come.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 amNice to get a clean sheet as well and keep the show on the road but there will be tougher tests to come.
This is what pleased me most about last night. The defence has made too many errors this season and the constant chopping and changing of personnel and shape hasn't helped matters. Last night they handled the attacking three with ease, despite the pace of the wider players.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am
marcoloco wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 amNice to get a clean sheet as well and keep the show on the road but there will be tougher tests to come.
This is what pleased me most about last night. The defence has made too many errors this season and the constant chopping and changing of personnel and shape hasn't helped matters. Last night they handled the attacking three with ease, despite the pace of the wider players.
Really important to use a settled system and personnel. It's only by playing regularly together will they learn their roles and an understanding of each other's game. Yes, it's important to rotate but I prefer to replace like with like instead of the chopping and changing of formations. Aside from all of that that cross bar saved us last night. Looked easier to score but the lad opted for power. Would have looked good for the cameras had it hit the net. :lol: