Derry City v Shamrock Rovers Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Shamrock Rovers Match Thread

Post by marcoloco »

Thing about last night.... none of it was unexpected.

We've looked disjointed for too long. Yes we could have scored in the first half but they had one miracuously cleared off the line too.

Why are we persisting with Kelly when he hasn't put a foot right since joining? He needs a rest or a loan.

Why are we moving McMullan off the wing (thus nullifying our threat from out wide) just to accommodate Kelly?

How is it that we are reliant on Mullan for goals - the lad has been here almost a year and gives it 100%. But he's not influencing big games. He's looked most comfortable in games v UCD and recently Dundalk. We released several players over recent seasons that would walk into that team today.

Why are we persisting with 5 defenders and chopping and changing it every week with individual mistakes leading to sloppy goals in almost every game?

Why have we stopped playing it around and drawing teams in. We're reverting to launcing it forward quickly and aimlessly but don't really have hold up players in that sense to make that work.

Why don't we see any patterns of play that look like they could hurt teams.

Why do we have so many injured players.

How are Bohemians above us despite sacking their manager

Just some of the questions i often ask myself...

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I mulled it around whilst I was running this morning and this is how I saw it (if anyone cares).

If you have been listening to us on Drive 105 myself and Eddie have discussed for three weeks that Derry City's defence is becoming our weak spot. Every game we have conceded a goal in you can point at a person or a basic personal error being made by an individual(s) that has result in the goal. Soft pass backs, poor first touches, moving towards the ball instead of marking your man or stopping the chase because you think the ref will blow for offside or a foul. I wouldn't say there were many incidents were have been pulled apart in the making of a goal, more we have created the opportunities for the opposition.

Back 3 with wingbacks, we played this at Tallaght and played well but even so we conceded a goal that night that could have been avoided. When we play this system certain players are too narrow when the opposition runs at them. We seen that against Drogheda for Pierrot's goal. In the first goal conceded Dylan Watts is standing in a box of space with the nearest player to him being maybe 5 yards away. Connolly should be hitting him or moving towards the channel, he doesn't and the space is there to put Greene through. Second goal McEleney, like in the Galway game, doesn't commit the tackle and allows the pass to be made. Aaron Greene is like Mark Farren, once you see him open his body up to strike it on the left, there is only one outcome. He should have scored in the first half too.

That said we should have changed the system when we went 1 down. We had three men watching one man and he turned out to be the MOTM, what does that tell ye?

Speaking of changing, it is frightening how slowly we reacted to change and how we tried to change it. Granted the two lads who came on got us the consolation but the match shows that the Manager has no faith in the players he named on the bench. When Duffy got injured he had the option to move Ben forward and put Coll on at Left Back instead of introducing Kelly. That way McMullan goes wide and Mullen is in behind Hoban. Mullen I thought was brilliant until he was moved wider where he was clearly uncomfortable and marked out by Ritchie Towell. Ritchie Towell who has been an attacker his whole career may I add. Why name Harkin, Coll, Patton and all those young lads if you don't think they can add to your tactics and attempts to win the game? Why not throw caution to the wind and just try something new and less regimental to fight for a point. If you concede and lose heavy at least you say 'I tried and failed' rather than show faith on an approach that doesn't work?

Certain lads do deserve a mention for their contribution last night. O'Reilly ran his legs off, Mullen showed great skill and drove forward trying to create chances and came close in the first half. McMullan the same but his shooting was poor in the first half and Duffy had chances too. Players and staff need to motivate themselves for Monday otherwise the challenge is over.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Totally right Dee, points well made.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:35 am I mulled it around whilst I was running this morning and this is how I saw it (if anyone cares).

If you have been listening to us on Drive 105 myself and Eddie have discussed for three weeks that Derry City's defence is becoming our weak spot. Every game we have conceded a goal in you can point at a person or a basic personal error being made by an individual(s) that has result in the goal. Soft pass backs, poor first touches, moving towards the ball instead of marking your man or stopping the chase because you think the ref will blow for offside or a foul. I wouldn't say there were many incidents were have been pulled apart in the making of a goal, more we have created the opportunities for the opposition.

Back 3 with wingbacks, we played this at Tallaght and played well but even so we conceded a goal that night that could have been avoided. When we play this system certain players are too narrow when the opposition runs at them. We seen that against Drogheda for Pierrot's goal. In the first goal conceded Dylan Watts is standing in a box of space with the nearest player to him being maybe 5 yards away. Connolly should be hitting him or moving towards the channel, he doesn't and the space is there to put Greene through. Second goal McEleney, like in the Galway game, doesn't commit the tackle and allows the pass to be made. Aaron Greene is like Mark Farren, once you see him open his body up to strike it on the left, there is only one outcome. He should have scored in the first half too.

That said we should have changed the system when we went 1 down. We had three men watching one man and he turned out to be the MOTM, what does that tell ye?

Speaking of changing, it is frightening how slowly we reacted to change and how we tried to change it. Granted the two lads who came on got us the consolation but the match shows that the Manager has no faith in the players he named on the bench. When Duffy got injured he had the option to move Ben forward and put Coll on at Left Back instead of introducing Kelly. That way McMullan goes wide and Mullen is in behind Hoban. Mullen I thought was brilliant until he was moved wider where he was clearly uncomfortable and marked out by Ritchie Towell. Ritchie Towell who has been an attacker his whole career may I add. Why name Harkin, Coll, Patton and all those young lads if you don't think they can add to your tactics and attempts to win the game? Why not throw caution to the wind and just try something new and less regimental to fight for a point. If you concede and lose heavy at least you say 'I tried and failed' rather than show faith on an approach that doesn't work?

Certain lads do deserve a mention for their contribution last night. O'Reilly ran his legs off, Mullen showed great skill and drove forward trying to create chances and came close in the first half. McMullan the same but his shooting was poor in the first half and Duffy had chances too. Players and staff need to motivate themselves for Monday otherwise the challenge is over.
Otherwise the challenge is over?

You're not talking about a league challenge here i hope? The challenge this season is to secure top 4 (and hope that's enough for Europe). The league is more competitive with both Bohs and shels in the mix, Pats and Ourselves and a few others not too far off.

Anyone that thinks that team can win the league and finish above Shamrock Rovers or even sustain a challenge needs their heads examined. Despite their own mixed start to the season they are light years ahead of us.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I predicted we would finish 3rd this year if I am being open and honest. Rovers are going to walk that league, do not get me wrong, but at this early stage we can still challenge for the top 3 spots because everyone is cutting each other's throats. $h€l$ will never finish above Rovers and I question if they are good enough over the course of the season to finish second. Bohs are on a bounce with a manager overseeing a team that was thrown together in a late panic. Possibility he might get a few in during the July window but they are not finishing above us or the two teams already mentioned. When I made the prediction I expected more from Pat's. Last night Waterford were unfortunate not to win the game in Richmond but the new system Jon Daly is attempting just isn't clicking yet.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Higgins is a Bluffer.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:01 pm I predicted we would finish 3rd this year if I am being open and honest. Rovers are going to walk that league, do not get me wrong, but at this early stage we can still challenge for the top 3 spots because everyone is cutting each other's throats. $h€l$ will never finish above Rovers and I question if they are good enough over the course of the season to finish second. Bohs are on a bounce with a manager overseeing a team that was thrown together in a late panic. Possibility he might get a few in during the July window but they are not finishing above us or the two teams already mentioned. When I made the prediction I expected more from Pat's. Last night Waterford were unfortunate not to win the game in Richmond but the new system Jon Daly is attempting just isn't clicking yet.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought I was going mad for a moment. 100% third is achievable this season and it's the same postion that I predicted at the outset. And even and that was on the previso that we managed to keep Hoban fit otherwise I don't see where the goals are coming from. We need another striker that can hold the ball up. Akendune did this well and gave 100%. Not a technically gifted as Mullan but offered something different and chipped in with goals. I think we need to do some surgery in the summer. Cut ties with our injured players and others like Kelly that just havent worked out. Put them out on loan and get fresh bodies in that will offer something. At the moment it feels like we have about 8 or 9 passengers in that squad. Bohs will only get stronger in my opinion. They now have an excellent manager that will sort them out. Shels too will struggle to sustain it over a season but they are improving under Duff.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Have you watched Kavanagh at Pat's last few games? That is a big piece of what we are missing.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:23 pm Have you watched Kavanagh at Pat's last few games? That is a big piece of what we are missing.
Dont get me started on that one. I asked that very question when they both were allowed to leave...

Two players that were fit and effective and would both walk into our team or make an impact off the bench. Makes no sense.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Some excellent posts. My own posts are swathed in disappointment and boredom. But but. I’m going to be honest here I think we have one of the best teams in the division. I’m frustrated because we didn’tt lose to greater teams We just threw it including last night .
the back 6 were easily the Leagues best then we added Todd D and also Dunnigan can go in there. They were given by Higgins freedom to stagnate a game I think subsequently they stagnated themselves. O Reilly was got for money under the noses of all He gives all but he is not the general figure every team needs eg the Shields of old of Dundalk now Linfield . Patching is just that Patchy. Duffy. Isn’t the killer he was Hoban the God if fit ?
?but where’s the service Here we had Mullan mc Mullan Mc Inuff Fats in seconds Donnican DIALO when he played all who I felt were not general type midfielders ..
so that quality was desperately short and as the defence wilted , so the one goal was always going to beat us . I sense the same boring approach that we hear in Higgins on his comments I think the team is bored and play like a horse hobbled . I did not think Higgins Can add or change things tbh . Leadership on the pitch is lacking Mc Jannet not captain material poss Coll shouts too much so he’s not welcome Oh for A RYAN Pizza BARRY Malloy Nicky Lowec. AND OF COURSE FEliX
WE ARE WHERE WE ARE BY OUR OWN MAKING
I know the modern game is ALL money so o=EUROPE IS THE HOLY GRAIL def not us fans SO Europe will hide all the blemishes

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I nearly think we did well in the first half despite the formation.

I was disappointed to see Mullen shunted out to left when Hoban came on instead of seeing the two up front.

I think the type of player you mean Eugenio is a rare breed these days. Modern football doesn't like them because they take matters into their own hands rather than run down to the sideline for instructions four or five times a game.

I can imagine B Kavanagh must have frustrated last year to see an injured P McEleney preferred to him in games.

I think Higgins will stay on for Europe but the next few months will be a challenge.

IfYouTolerateThis

Post by IfYouTolerateThis »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:19 am Thing about last night.... none of it was unexpected.

We've looked disjointed for too long. Yes we could have scored in the first half but they had one miracuously cleared off the line too.

Why are we persisting with Kelly when he hasn't put a foot right since joining? He needs a rest or a loan.

Why are we moving McMullan off the wing (thus nullifying our threat from out wide) just to accommodate Kelly?

How is it that we are reliant on Mullan for goals - the lad has been here almost a year and gives it 100%. But he's not influencing big games. He's looked most comfortable in games v UCD and recently Dundalk. We released several players over recent seasons that would walk into that team today.

Why are we persisting with 5 defenders and chopping and changing it every week with individual mistakes leading to sloppy goals in almost every game?

Why have we stopped playing it around and drawing teams in. We're reverting to launcing it forward quickly and aimlessly but don't really have hold up players in that sense to make that work.

Why don't we see any patterns of play that look like they could hurt teams.

Why do we have so many injured players.

How are Bohemians above us despite sacking their manager

Just some of the questions i often ask myself..
Id say the answer to all your questions is the manager. He has been manager long enough, and I think the only thing he has proven is that he isn't up to it.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

We now have a match on Monday but no discussion of it

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:23 pm Have you watched Kavanagh at Pat's last few games? That is a big piece of what we are missing.
Another player rarely played by our manager, now leading assists in the league.

Another player held back and made worse when with us.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

forza wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:52 pm We now have a match on Monday but no discussion of it
This won't sell out.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Oh to have Mc Guinness Donegal GAA boss with us he’s a genius

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

We did. He was a coach with the U19s in 2021.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Tenacious. Really How did he do? He was at Celtic too Imthink Was he abroad too

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

We won the Enda McGuill Cup in 2021