Drogheda Utd v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: Drogheda Utd v Derry City Match Thread

Post by mokendismucker »

The negative heads are out in force now for sure…..
Wee bit of an over reaction mais non….

Thought we played quite well for most of the game. Created a number of chances. Had twice as many attempts on goal than the home team. Hit the bar when 2-1 up. Scored 2 good goals (one trick McMullan putting the ball on Duffy’s head) & a Patch special against a side that were set up to spoil scrap and defend. Coughed up 2 poor goals at the worst times and that is a concern because it has happened a few times this season already. Both down the left, our right. It certainly wasn’t boring to me.

The Drogs part time thing is a bit mis leading because they attract the best players who for their own reasons don’t want to commit to full time. Kelly’s form is also disappointing but I don’t think he goes out to play crap. Two points dropped but it will happen the other way as we go through the season and on we go. Current form makes a nonsense of those who argue that we play better on grass or the plastic is holding us back. The moaning has just moved to a different place.

Two huge games to look forward to against the bookies favourites who give or take a point are no better off at this stage than we are. Hoban Fats Dummigan Whelan Diallo Harkin all to feed in the coming days.

Bring it on. RAWA Citytilidie.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

mokendi Good lad you are and I like you but come on we have a great squad. and a few numpties We have been boring for v long. admit it Higgs seems to have favourites Kelly being one now You must must must question his judgement With selection and the terrible changes which has cost us 9 points already
I’ll back him but we were in top gear with 10 men when boys dropped back and took a long rest so he shored it up with 2 more defenders when Zdtogs were so pitifully poor at the back as were Galway Bohs Shels Sligo and even Rovers earlier If he CANT. get this right then he MUST BE QUESTIONED surely ?

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

If you’re a board member reading this, we’re wasting time. I don’t care how much banter he is on the piss or on a holiday, he’s not coaching this team.

I was his biggest fan as a player, but this is not working.

Rovers next week, another piss up aboard Tuesday no doubt.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:10 pm The negative heads are out in force now for sure…..
Wee bit of an over reaction mais non….

Thought we played quite well for most of the game. Created a number of chances. Had twice as many attempts on goal than the home team. Hit the bar when 2-1 up. Scored 2 good goals (one trick McMullan putting the ball on Duffy’s head) & a Patch special against a side that were set up to spoil scrap and defend. Coughed up 2 poor goals at the worst times and that is a concern because it has happened a few times this season already. Both down the left, our right. It certainly wasn’t boring to me.

The Drogs part time thing is a bit mis leading because they attract the best players who for their own reasons don’t want to commit to full time. Kelly’s form is also disappointing but I don’t think he goes out to play crap. Two points dropped but it will happen the other way as we go through the season and on we go. Current form makes a nonsense of those who argue that we play better on grass or the plastic is holding us back. The moaning has just moved to a different place.

Two huge games to look forward to against the bookies favourites who give or take a point are no better off at this stage than we are. Hoban Fats Dummigan Whelan Diallo Harkin all to feed in the coming days.

Bring it on. RAWA Citytilidie.
But the thing is, we aren't basing our comments on just last night. Or a handful of games. We have been poor for a long time. There is next to no excitement at our games, you can feel the passion draining out of the support.

I have spoke to quite a few people who are fed up watching this type of football week in and week out. Dropping easy points we should be winning. Not going for the throat of teams when we are on top. Not allowing players to play, rigidly keeping them to a system.

I even know 2 people who let their season ticket lapse as they said they couldn't do another full season watching crap football.

Yes you can look at the table and say we are still in it. Problem is, the real football fan knows we ain't winning this league under this manager. We aren't pushing on. Players are coming and becoming worse at Derry than they were elsewhere. They aren't being coached to be better players. Add to this we are paying guys who are contributing very little, but they are raking it in based on what they played like 5 years ago. But they are pally with the manager, so that's ok.

I genuinely think we are going backwards as a club and a team. Can you genuinely say you think we are progressing? Closer to winning the title this season than any of the previous 2?

Sometimes football fans are allowed to be negative. Do you think Utd fans should say nothing about their current state? Do you think they should just shut up and accept what is happening? Derry without the fans is nothing. We have a fickle support base, and if we go through a bad couple of seasons, attendances will drop off sharply. This is a crucial time for the club as I've said previously. We need to be kicking on as a club, not going backwards. We have to sell an extra 3000 tickets for every home game soon. They won't come and watch this muck, something has to change.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Some fans have higher standards and demand more. Other are content to support their Club regardless of the quality of football on display. That’s the fundamental difference.

I’m definitely in the first group and won’t stand by and say nothing if it’s absolute tripe that served up. :lol:

jimd

Re Drogheda Utd v Derry City Match Thread

Post by jimd »

Remember this we only played well because we were one down after, we went in front we sat back, this shows that we can play as well as any other club if we have too but once we get in front it's a different story and this has to be down to the manager.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Re Drogheda Utd v Derry City Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

jimd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 pm :D :D :D
Remember this we only played well because we were one down after, we went in front we sat back, this shows that we can play as well as any other club if we have too but once we get in front it's a different story and this has to be down to the manager.
Great summary talking sense here :D

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Re: Re Drogheda Utd v Derry City Match Thread

Post by Keyser Soze »

jimd wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:41 pm Remember this we only played well because we were one down after, we went in front we sat back, this shows that we can play as well as any other club if we have too but once we get in front it's a different story and this has to be down to the manager.
A quote from our manager post game was, "we retreated for some reason in the 2nd half".

Now, even if it wasn't HIS decision to retreat and concede possession, and the players decided upon these tactics themselves (which is very unlikely let's be honest), then why could he not simply tell them to go back to playing like they did in the 1st half? Surely that's what managers do? They tell their team to do this, do that....

I don't believe him for one second. He's a bore, a manage by numbers guy, who started the 2nd half with the intention of trying to win the game 2 1 . Simple as.

It's not the first time his lack of ambition and hold what we have attitude has cost us 3 pts.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:00 pm Some fans have higher standards and demand more. Other are content to support their Club regardless of the quality of football on display. That’s the fundamental difference.

I’m definitely in the first group and won’t stand by and say nothing if it’s absolute tripe that served up. :lol:
Supporters and criers you mean. Never heard of supporters with a “higher standard” before. Touch arrogant there. You have obviously forgotten the football played under Coyle Dykes Kealey Decky twice Robertson Collins Shiels to name a few. Where were you then?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:00 pm Some fans have higher standards and demand more. Other are content to support their Club regardless of the quality of football on display. That’s the fundamental difference.

Supporters and criers you mean. Never heard of supporters with a “higher standard” before. Touch arrogant there. You have obviously forgotten the football played under Coyle Dykes Kealey Decky twice Robertson Collins Shiels to name a few. Where were you then?
Higher standards absolutely are important. Don't settle for second best. Too often people settle for mediocrity and say nothing. That's assuming they can see it. Don't be that person.

The standard across the league this season isn't great and that Derry team are no exception. I've no problem saying we looked stronger, fitter and more in control in previous years. After 3 years you'd like to think that team's improve but I don't see it.

And I see nothing wrong with highlighting poor performances or tactics. It's football afterall all.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

Waiting and hoping we would be able to get better players which PoD did for Higgs Then we hoped to seeOUR club push on but we are stagnant even boring. Or am I not allowed to say this. Otherwise I’m branded NOT A SUPPORTER

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Yes, we have been shit in the past, and we are shit again now with our biggest budget ever in our history.

But no, we aren't allowed to question it.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:10 pm Yes, we have been shit in the past, and we are shit again now with our biggest budget ever in our history.

Yip that shit that we have qualified for European football 3 years in a row and last season went further than any other Irish club. Won an FAI Cup by a record score and in this winter signed the most prolific striker in the league. And remember in comparative terms Stephen Kenny’s budget was as big as Higgin is. Did Kenny win the league? But he is revered. A man who had Paddy McCourt on the bench in a game where a draw would have clinched the league. If you want to talk about negative tactics beat that one.

And also football is much different now than it was 10 and 20 years ago. All teams now are tactically aware and astute at nullifying the opposition strengths. A blind man can see how many players are facing up to Micky Duffy every time he receives the ball. A blind man can see how quickly teams re-set once they lose possession. It is a fundamental that teams set up to be hard to beat and deny space. We are in a tough league with zero ‘gimmies’.

Shelbourne aren’t top of the league because they play flowing attacking football. Derry are the top goal scorers in the league at this point. They have the top goal scorer in the league despite being injured. Sure they are struggling for a bit of consistency and dropping too many soft goals but we are only 10 games in. The dooms day stuff is a bit of an over reaction imo and the ‘we aren’t allowed to criticise” an admission.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm
Keyser Soze wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:10 pm Yes, we have been shit in the past, and we are shit again now with our biggest budget ever in our history.

Yip that shit that we have qualified for European football 3 years in a row and last season went further than any other Irish club. Won an FAI Cup by a record score and in this winter signed the most prolific striker in the league. And remember in comparative terms Stephen Kenny’s budget was as big as Higgin is. Did Kenny win the league? But he is revered. A man who had Paddy McCourt on the bench in a game where a draw would have clinched the league. If you want to talk about negative tactics beat that one.

And also football is much different now than it was 10 and 20 years ago. All teams now are tactically aware and astute at nullifying the opposition strengths. A blind man can see how many players are facing up to Micky Duffy every time he receives the ball. A blind man can see how quickly teams re-set once they lose possession. It is a fundamental that teams set up to be hard to beat and deny space. We are in a tough league with zero ‘gimmies’.

Shelbourne aren’t top of the league because they play flowing attacking football. Derry are the top goal scorers in the league at this point. They have the top goal scorer in the league despite being injured. Sure they are struggling for a bit of consistency and dropping too many soft goals but we are only 10 games in. The dooms day stuff is a bit of an over reaction imo and the ‘we aren’t allowed to criticise” an admission.
This is much better discussion and exactly the type of debate I (and i'm sure others) want when they express their concerns at witnessing consistently poor performances.

The way I see it is this. Last season wasn't all that good so its not just 10 games. Out in the first round of the FAI Cup, failure to capitalise in the league including a home game v S Rovers when we needed a win but opted to throw on Connelly from the bench and played him in an advanced role rather than using a striker who was sat alongside him. To me, one good home result in Europe masked what was an otherwise poor season. Now you may point to stats, injuries or tables but as i've said many time I like to look at performances not just results. As for Shels - yes we battered them in the Cup Final. Now they are sat top of the league and we are chasing pack. So tell me in all honesty which team has progressed most since that glorious sunny day at the Aviva? If the goal is to secure Europe every year then its job done. The the goal is to build a team capable of winning a title or sustain a challenge in Europe then I think there's still quite a bit to go.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

mokendismucker wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

You're obviously a glass half full type of guy, unlike myself maybe!

But as others have said, irrespective of our league position, we are poor to watch.

Yes we did have a euro 'run' last season, but the teams we beat were poor enough. Yes we did play well and deserved the results.

But our league campaigns have fundamentally disappointed when it came to the crunch. We fell off badly. Even when Rovers had poor seasons we couldn't capitalise.

I also don't think any players have come to us and become better. Name me a player, outside Maher perhaps, who our management team has coached into becoming better?

Shels were given as an example. Duff has a much smaller budget than us, but working wonders. They aren't great to watch at times, but it's rare we are very exciting either. He obviously has a target in the league, and at present the style of play is not important, it's the position. But they are better than last season to watch.

We'll leave it there. Stats do show that we are near the top, but I do genuinely fear for where We'll end up at the end, if we don't improve. Yes, we have a few injured players to come back, so hopefully a bit of competition for spots will spur some of the squad on.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Fair enough comments. It probably helps to be ‘half full’ to follow Derry down the years.

One last point. Players who have improved under Higgins. Will Patching is the stand out for me. I know Decky brought him initially but didn’t stand out until Higgins time. Couldn’t get into the Dundalk team before that. Jackie had his best season before he got injured. Dummigan was converted from a full back into one of if not the best sitting midfielder in the league. And I would argue that Adam O’Reilly is a better all round player now than when he arrived. There are others including Toal and Graydon.