Derry Nostalgic with...

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry Nostalgic with...

Post by TenaciousDee »

If you listened to our coverage of the Rovers game on Monday night you will have heard a preview of a chat that I had with Gary Beckett. In a new feature, Derry Nostalgic, I spoke to Gary Beckett about the 1997 Irish International Soccer Tournament at Lansdowne Road, famous for our victory against Glasgow Celtic. We talk about his goal, his headline stealing performance, Paolo Di Canio, having to recover to play Newcastle the next day and much much more.

This can only be seen/heard on Drive 105's social media. For handiness here is the link to it on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/10006860969340 ... l/?app=fbl

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry Nostalgic with Gary Beckett

Post by marcoloco »

That was a great tournament for players and fans alike not least as it lifted our profile outside of Ireland.

I read that St Pats have secured American investment and they are off to America next month to play an exhibition game! I'm guessing that they are getting a bit of traction with their name especially in America.

And Bohs are doing their bit too with their marketing of all things musical. :lol:

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Brilliant feature. Good on you!

Brings back great memories of a unique experience and tournament which we'll never see the likes again.

- Ryan Coyle
- Celtic's brand new shirt with kit supplier as sponsor (a first)
- Coyle's bicycle kick
- Kenny Dalglish loving Higgsy
- Newcastle fans in the lower east stand singing 'toon toon black & white army' over and over and over again

P.s. Gary is correct. We gave Celtic a kick up the arse to stop the ten!

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Cheers Da-Gama. Gary started off a bit reserved but once you get him going he gets animated and he is a great story teller once he starts feeling comfortable.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Gary Beckett is an absolute legend. Our false number 9 before it was fashionable. Was such an intelligent player who played with tenacity, bravery and skill, always working to be in a position to receive the ball, link the play, create openings. Understood how to press intelligently when out of possession and the team ethic.

Have so many memories of him coming off his marker, receiving the ball, swivelling and putting Mark Farren or Paddy McCourt or Gareth McGlynn in in one movement.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Great work TD. That tournament in 1997 was superb for DCFC, and will live long in the memory :D

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Thanks very much Steve.

burnfootbridiec

Post by burnfootbridiec »

Great listen, very enjoyable tenacious, more of the same pls because whats on foyle is pure repitition and lazy to be polite :D :D :D

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I have had discussions with some ex-players about recording a few of these over the international break. Will keep yous informed once they are recorded.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

“Great listen, very enjoyable tenacious, more of the same pls because whats on foyle is pure repitition and lazy”

👍

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:20 am I have had discussions with some ex-players about recording a few of these over the international break. Will keep yous informed once they are recorded.
You've now set a precedent so don't care interview these players without adorning the shirt they wore!

Up next; Stuart Gauld talks about Athlone in 95, as you sit there in a Matchwinner special :lol:

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Aye Da-Gama I have backed myself into a corner with that one. Funny, you aren't far off with that last comment.

TenaciousDee

Derry Nostalgic with Paul McLaughlin

Post by TenaciousDee »

In April 1995, Derry City were chasing two trophies. Felix Healy's side had just qualified for the FAI Cup semi-finals before taking pole position in the league for the final three games of the season. Bohemians stood in their way of a second successive final at Lansdowne Road. The penultimate round of the cup competition featured two replays, creating a crowded match schedule, resulting in the Candystripes playing six games in 17 days.

Former Derry City left-back Paul McLaughlin talks to Dee Curran at length about the three games, his goal and his team-mates, including Paul Doolin, Peter Hutton and captain Dermot O'Neill. He also talks about the cup final against Shelbourne, the Easter Sunday trip to Cobh and the Athlone disappointment.

Please feel free to share the link below, subscribe to our channel and feedback. Most importantly, enjoy.

https://youtu.be/yhMWog9YGtc

TenaciousDee

Derry Nostalgic with Mick Neville

Post by TenaciousDee »

This evening I will be playing a 5 minute preview of the upcoming episode of Derry Nostalgic, featuring former defender and 6 time league champion, Mick Neville. The full episode will premiere tomorrow morning on our YouTube channel at 9am. If you subscribe and click on the 'Notify Me' button under the screen you will be alerted the second it is available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RpzDgT2_U
In the third edition of Derry Nostalgic, Dee Curran chats with former Derry City Defender, Mick Neville. Despite spending only two season with the Candystripes Mick is a highly respected and well thought of player in the club's LOI history.

Mick talks about his relationship with former manager Jim McLaughlin, winning the Treble, Playing benfica in the European Cup and the circumstances around his departure to Shelbourne FC.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry Nostalgic with Mick Neville

Post by rodgers »

Thanks for this Dee. Someone I used to work with played with Mick in 70s and 80s for Home Farm so I know they will be interested in this. The treble less so maybe!

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

No problem Rodgers. I hope he and everyone enjoy the conversation.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

This is now live. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to share, comment and subscribe to the channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06RpzDgT2_U

TenaciousDee

Re: Derry Nostalgic with...

Post by TenaciousDee »

Tonight (April 8th) at 7pm the newest edition of Derry Nostalgic will premiere on Drive 105's MNL YouTube channel. If you subscribe now and press the "Notify Me" under the video it will alert you the second the interview becomes available for streaming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc3w_t1o-is
In this edition of Derry Nostalgic former Derry City centre-back, Stewart Greacen, revisits his three seasons at the club with Dee Curran.

Stewart chats about scoring in the FAI Cup Final in 2012, Ryan McBride, Shane McEleney, Barry Molloy, Stephen Kenny, signing for Glentoran before returning to the club, his knee injury in 2013 and the ex-Derry City personnel he seeked advice from about signing for the Candystripes.
Next week I get Derry Nostalgic with.... well I can't tell you that yet, but an edited preview of said interview will feature during our coverage of the Drogheda (a clue about the subject matter) game on Friday night. Thanks for the support as always.

TenaciousDee

Re: Derry Nostalgic with...

Post by TenaciousDee »

At 7pm tonight the following link will go live on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkr6YAt3vc

This edition I get Derry Nostalgic with Lukas Schubert about his debut v Drogheda United in 2016. Full description below.
On May 20th 2016, an unknown Austrian footballer made his Derry City debut against Drogheda United in the FAI Cup second round. By the time Lukas Schubert took his leave from the City he would leave a cult hero.

Dee Curran interviews Lukas Schubert about the virus that affected his heart, resulting in a two year absence from professional football, how he ended up in Derry and the unknown details behind his debut. Lukas also discusses his relationship with former manager Kenny Shiels, Donal O'Brien's bulging eyes and regrets of never being able to play at the refurbished Brandywell Stadium.

Dee would like to thank Brian Dunleavy for assisting with his research and this service is brought to you by Paul Martin Menswear. Subscribe, share, like, comment and enjoy.