Derry City v Waterford Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Waterford Match Thread

Post by mokendismucker »

Professional performance last night. Getting more & more excited about where the ‘Hubinator’ can take us. Home form continues to build. Liked McMullan in the no10 role and we didn’t have to risk Fats.

Last player to score a LOI hatrick for City? Think it was Junior but stand to be corrected.

On we go. RAWA

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Some Hoban goals and city injuries.

Standard

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:52 am Last player to score a LOI hatrick for City? Think it was Junior but stand to be corrected
Last City player to score a Hat Trick was Declan Glass v Oliver Bond Celtic In the cup. In a league game it was Junior v Harps on the last day of the 2019 season.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

A solid result against a team that has been doing well lately. Some decent goals and generally the result was never in doubt.

Hoban proving why he's the best striker in the league and why we're fortunate to have him. Duffy, McMullan and Hoban look a cut above the rest in the final third.

Kelly's performances are average since joining. I think he's squandered too many decent opportunities now and hasn't hit the ground running like Hoban. Early days still but I think he needs to improve to help balance out our options up front.

Overall, the general standard of play is quite poor this season so far right across the league. When Waterford went down to 10 men it highlighted it even more. We often struggle to string passes together and revert to the diagonal or long ball up the wing looking for Duffy. A bit more composure and ball retention would be a bonus cause we'll not get far in Europe without an improvement.

Maybe when injured players return the standard will improve.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

two options clash often here. One the points are all that counts. Performance and entertaining is not important if points are gained
the idea that winning AND entertaining can be achieved seems to be a no no Last evening Poor Waterford 3 up 10 men Points assured. Entertain ? no way

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:59 pm two options clash often here. One the points are all that counts. Performance and entertaining is not important if points are gained
the idea that winning AND entertaining can be achieved seems to be a no no Last evening Poor Waterford 3 up 10 men Points assured. Entertain ? no way
Eugenio, often performances are over looked if the points keep racking up. Thats fine as long as another team doesn't rack up more points... then people start to realise that performances do matter as they should lay the ground work for consistently better results over a season and especially in Europe. I think we've got off to a strong start (points wise) which is great. So parts of the team are clicking and others are not. I don't think we are playing particularly well however - yes we are showing fight, determination none of that is in any doubt. But from what i've seen there a lot of room for improvement in our game. It's great that attendances are up across the league but losing its best players every season to teams across the water with little compensation does take its toll. Hopefully as investment and coaching improves, at all levels, and more teams go full time we'll see a better standard generally.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Marco excellent. Listen Tallagh game really excited me I think Stats wshow between two team 32 efforts v v good for fans Last night we should have blown this lot away at 3 o What happened ?boredom 😞Mullan played on the wing where he is useless instead of getting him goals and confidence. But the second goal A classic Mc Mullan sprints 40myards to take a v intelligent quick free to Duffy who as usual was great then the finish sublime Entertainment. yes and 3 points yes but please please some more of this we have the players to do this win and entertain why not

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

3-0 up against 10 men, why go all out and expend more energy when you can control the game and rest the legs. A marathon not a sprint!

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:02 pm 3-0 up against 10 men, why go all out and expend more energy when you can control the game and rest the legs. A marathon not a sprint!
Opportunity to boost goal difference.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:02 pm 3-0 up against 10 men, why go all out and expend more energy when you can control the game and rest the legs. A marathon not a sprint!
I'm not looking for more goals. At 3 up the job is done. Against 10 men and 3 goals to the good we should be able to take control, retain the ball and see out the game with no dramas. Maybe im watching too much CL football this week and im being unfair? Or maybe its because who we are missing in the middle and the fact we seem to be going more direct, back to front, this season.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

So you are saying. Stroll about Don’t give Mullan and some others eg our kids 🧒 🙁a chance to sharpen up maybe get a confidence boosting goal At the end of the season we can say we won the Title because we saved our legs v a v poor and demoralised Waterford I’m watching the wrong football perhsps😒

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Eugenio, I'm not saying you're watching the wrong football. Getting the kids minutes and adding on extra goals would be ideal of course. I'm just trying to give the side of the argument for why a team might take the foot off the gas in a situation like the one we faced.

Marco, there's something in that idea that we're conditioned by the football we see on the TV. We want to see that replicated by Derry but we have to remember that the quality gap is huge.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:28 pm Eugenio, I'm not saying you're watching the wrong football. Getting the kids minutes and adding on extra goals would be ideal of course. I'm just trying to give the side of the argument for why a team might take the foot off the gas in a situation like the one we faced.

Marco, there's something in that idea that we're conditioned by the football we see on the TV. We want to see that replicated by Derry but we have to remember that the quality gap is huge.
100%. It's a massive jump to go from what's on tv to our level. But we were very fluid last season with the ball and managed to have a bit more control. Like i say it could be down to the personnel that are missing or tactics or both.