Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm Thought we were poor for first 43 minutes of the game. The next time some team offers money for Jamie we should take hand and all off them. Maher M.O.M.
Or we offer them money after that pen debacle to nite lol lol lol

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:22 pm
brandyball wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm Thought we were poor for first 43 minutes of the game. The next time some team offers money for Jamie we should take hand and all off them. Maher M.O.M.
Or we offer them money after that pen debacle to nite lol lol lol
Much needed 3 points.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

The statistics show that Derry were not at the races except in goals scored which gave us 3points.
The stats don’t paint a true picture of the game.

We have a good squad of individuals who have gelled on occasions but not enough to win the league this year, unless rovers implode.

Next year is the year, that’s if europe doesn’t impinge too much on the domestic scene.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

A crucial win which gives more belief in the team and from myself! Looks like a slightly easier run in for us with UCD twice and Rovers and Pats at home. I'd thought top 3 but now see real hope to catch Rovers. We're playing better recently and if squad stays fit and we get the 'breaks' we can do it.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Someone may as well say it, that pitch was horrendous last night. Every pass had to come off the deck to travel with any pace and if you didn't control/bring the ball down on your first touch then you couldn't predict where and how it would land. I give Drogheda's ground a sore touch every time I can but at least you can play some semblance of decent football on the pitch. All the money Dundalk has received over the years from League titles and European groups stages, they have robbed themselves by throwing it away at player's wages instead of investing in improving or moving from that ground.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Great win. Defended well and Maher did what you need him to do in big games. Not deliver 40 yard passes though he can do that but make match winning saves and turn 1 point into 3. He did that last night and was outstanding as a goalkeeper and shot stopper. Thought his handling and judgement were exceptional.

Deal with UCD on Wednesday and it will set us up for a real crack at shams. A crack many pundits, particularly Dublin, didn’t think we capable of getting. We are all emotionally invested and it may not go our way but for me we have a chance. There could be a rollercoaster ride yet.

RAWA

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Agree on pitch, thought Mullen and Durrant in particular were hampered by it badly.

Dundalk had numerous chances going forward but gave away poor goals.

Maher clear man of match but thought O'Reilly was good too and Tosd did well on his first game back.

Hopefully that will give them confidence and belief for final games. I think the league is there to be won.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

rodgers wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:32 am Agree on pitch, thought Mullen and Durrant in particular were hampered by it badly.

Dundalk had numerous chances going forward but gave away poor goals.

Maher clear man of match but thought O'Reilly was good too and Tosd did well on his first game back.

Hopefully that will give them confidence and belief for final games. I think the league is there to be won.
Lads what has Shane to do to get the credit he’s due ALL SEASON we needed a presence there in a back 4 altered alarmingly Maher and Shane were inmmense if this were Connelly plaudits would flow from fans

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Shane has been very good too. Nearly scored a great goal too. Joking aside, also like how he tries to play the right pass when he has the ball. I only mentioned todd because it was his first game back.

Special mention to Coll too maybe for playing last two games in a row at right back. Excellent defender and always calm.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

rodgers wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:36 pm Shane has been very good too. Nearly scored a great goal too. Joking aside, also like how he tries to play the right pass when he has the ball. I only mentioned todd because it was his first game back.

Special mention to Coll too maybe for playing last two games in a row at right back. Excellent defender and always calm.
Good post good man Coll plays out of position willingly Opponents target this and yes for 12cmins or so he looked a bit vulnerable but he adapts beautifully and boy can he defend Love Coll Boyce Shane a lot

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Good win for Derry thought Shane and Todd were very good Maher excellent Coll,Patching,McMullen O Reilly,Doherty had decent game,That's not a bad Dundalk team not many teams come away from Oriel Park with a 3 1 score.night

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I am going to have to disagree with you on the Dundalk assessment. That was a dreadful team on Friday. Lost count in the first half how many times one of the defensive players passed the ball to a Derry player in their own half. The defending for Patching's first was comical. Everyone was screaming from the terraces (supporting Dundalk) for someone to make the challenge but they stood back and watched. Darragh Leahy's first half yellow may have clipped his wings but the back four were brutal and Sloggett was missed for the protection.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

We will agree to disagree.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:15 pm I am going to have to disagree with you on the Dundalk assessment. That was a dreadful team on Friday. Lost count in the first half how many times one of the defensive players passed the ball to a Derry player in their own half. The defending for Patching's first was comical. Everyone was screaming from the terraces (supporting Dundalk) for someone to make the challenge but they stood back and watched. Darragh Leahy's first half yellow may have clipped his wings but the back four were brutal and Sloggett was missed for the protection.
And yet Maher was M.O.M.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Maher also got MOTM in a game he never made a save in earlier this season. So what is your point?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:23 pm Maher also got MOTM in a game he never made a save in earlier this season. So what is your point?
Only for him we'd conceded 5 or 6 . Thought we were poor in that first half although probably down to their potch.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

No doubt they had chances and Durrant looks an excellent player but the pitch will hold him back. Remains that the backline and the midfield with the ball in their half were attempting to pass around Derry and presented them with many chances that in the end led to corners or were hit wide.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

eugenio wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:41 pm
rodgers wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:36 pm Shane has been very good too. Nearly scored a great goal too. Joking aside, also like how he tries to play the right pass when he has the ball. I only mentioned todd because it was his first game back.

Good post good man Coll plays out of position willingly Opponents target this and yes for 12cmins or so he looked a bit vulnerable but he adapts beautifully and boy can he defend Love Coll Boyce Shane a lot
& ……..Patching🤩, Diallo👍, McMullen🧨, Meyer💎……………+++++++++

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Dundalk were miles the better team- Stephen O"Donnell

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... ty-4279942