Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

Post by fergal »

Has to settle in a new league and team. But i agree mcgongle is miles ahead of him in terms of been able to play the ball and making runs. Mullan has struggled badly so far

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:45 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:23 pm McGonigle is streets ahead of Mullan who looks way out of his depth, even at this level.
He has played 71 minutes in the League of Ireland. We should probably allow him more time before making that judgement
I look forward to him proving me wrong and making me eat humble pie. I'd be first to hold my hands up if this happens.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

The triple substitutions changed the game to think some on here thought Ruadhri had no plan B ;)

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 pm The triple substitutions changed the game to think some on here thought Ruadhri had no plan B ;)
Duffy and McMullan on either side is frightening. Top drawer players.

Patching is looking confident again too.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:09 pm
brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:05 pm The triple substitutions changed the game to think some on here thought Ruadhri had no plan B ;)
Duffy and McMullan on either side is frightening. Top drawer players.

Patching is looking confident again too.
Their number 4 will be having nightmares about McMullan for the next 6 months.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

The changes RH made in the second half just shows you the difference in quality of player. Kavanagh, mceneff, diallo are good players but fats, patching and mcmullen are streets ahead. The movement, passing, confidence on the ball was great to watch once those changes where made.

Never thought I'd say Patching is a player but there was clearly something not right with him to begin with. He well and truly has turned a corner. Great to see.

Duffy and mcmullen are frightening on either side. A serious threat going forward. O'Reilly has to start Thursday night ahead of diallo. Dummigan I doubt will be fit so he will drop out aswell.

Great to see Jamie score and gain a bit of confidence. That Mullen boy will hopefully start to adapt as so far it's been hard to see why he's been picked up.

Great second half tonight. Hopefully this is the start of a great week

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Would disagree about O'Reilly ahead of Diallo...

O'Reilly is a great talent but he doesnt have the calming factor Diallo brings to the midfield... Diallo may seem slow to some people but he finds pockets of space to make passes and bring other players into games... O'Reilly is tigerish in his approach... Yes he can break play down but he also gives you that heart in the mouth moment where you know theres going to be a card of some colour coming out...

Three points, three goals and a clean sheet... What more could you ask from your team and manager...

And dont forget, Brian Maher kept us in the game with some fine saves too at critical moments so that clean sheet is as important as the goals...

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Good performance and team looked confident and fresh ahead of Thursday.

Can't remember Mullen touching the ball much at all so you'd wonder if it's going to work out for him.

Second goal was obviously key and ended the game as a contest. Up to that point there was always the worry they could grab an equaliser. I don't think many teams will beat them by three. Couldn't believe their keeper was only 17.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:56 am Would disagree about O'Reilly ahead of Diallo...

O'Reilly is a great talent but he doesnt have the calming factor Diallo brings to the midfield... Diallo may seem slow to some people but he finds pockets of space to make passes and bring other players into games... O'Reilly is tigerish in his approach... Yes he can break play down but he also gives you that heart in the mouth moment where you know theres going to be a card of some colour coming out...

Three points, three goals and a clean sheet... What more could you ask from your team and manager...

And dont forget, Brian Maher kept us in the game with some fine saves too at critical moments so that clean sheet is as important as the goals...
I find Diallo very frustrating. He clearly has a touch of class about him, keeping the ball, moving it side to side, always on the ground and chipping in with the odd goal. But he loses the ball so many times in dangerous areas. Giving the ball away cheaply. Lack of concentration must be the reason because he's got the ability. So for me he's a luxury player that will need to be managed against better opposition.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I hear what you're saying about Diallo, but thought he had two great games in Europe versus KuPs and Tobol.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:55 pmI find Diallo very frustrating. He clearly has a touch of class about him, keeping the ball, moving it side to side, always on the ground and chipping in with the odd goal. But he loses the ball so many times in dangerous areas. Giving the ball away cheaply. Lack of concentration must be the reason because he's got the ability. So for me he's a luxury player that will need to be managed against better opposition.
I'll get killed for this comparison but he is the modern day Doc.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

:evil:
Greengo wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:56 am Would disagree about O'Reilly ahead of Diallo...

Diallo has his supporters and detractors who are quick to criticise. Duffy has his faults as does Patrick who don’t get the same attention. Maher has his slips but nobody doubts his class. Like everybody we can find short comings in players but in fairness his ball control and distribution is excellent while interceptions and dispossession are away above others. It must be the little niggly fouls now and again that irks people.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

paul60 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:02 am :evil:

Diallo has his supporters and detractors who are quick to criticise. Duffy has his faults as does Patrick who don’t get the same attention. Maher has his slips but nobody doubts his class. Like everybody we can find short comings in players but in fairness his ball control and distribution is excellent while interceptions and dispossession are away above others. It must be the little niggly fouls now and again that irks people.
I have no issues with Diallo. He doesnt irk me in anyway I just have a preference to see Dummigan or O'Reilly start ahead of him. They offer the security in front of the back 4 that I don't think Diallo does. At times Diallo can dilly dally on the ball and causes us issues that we don't necessarily need to be in. No doubting his ball control and calmness on the ball however sometimes that can be to his own detriment.

I prefer a combative midfielder especially if we start with both Fats and patching.

If we start with Diallo or we start with whom ever we will all have our opinions on if its a good team, mediocre team or poor team. Either way we all want the same result and that is for CITY to advance in Europe.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Very refreshing to see opinions around Patching and Jamie start to change.