Derry City v Kuopion Palloseura UECL QR2 Leg 1

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v Kuopion Palloseura UECL QR2 Leg 1

Post by TenaciousDee »

Match tickets are currently available to purchase for season ticket holders until Tuesday 5pm. At present over 1000 have been sold. For those in search of tickets please post any updates as they are made.

Mikhail Kennedy spoke on Drive 105 about our opponents as he watched them with Crusaders in a fixture with Haka, who they knocked out in the previous round. He said they like to pass the ball around in a similar way we do (sideways and backwards) whilst doing nothing with all the position. It is important we start this game strong and catch them on the hop. As I said in the Athlone Thread, I would love to see Fats start in midfield with McGonigle up front. We have three forwards at present and two of them are worth very little. Mullen isn't fit and Kavanagh just doesn't present a threat to the opposition. Backline picks itself.

O'Reilly is available for selection after his suspension, Jackie isn't fit yet and neither is Todd I understand.

Game is live on LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Kuopion Palloseura UECL QR2 Leg 1

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:47 pm Next Round Opponents?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 516&type=3
If youre going to crash out of Europe then FC Basel would be a great experience for everyone at the Club. Added incentive.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Although Finnish teams are no great shakes I'm going into these ties in more hope than expectation as we find it hard to score goals. Over the two legs I can't see us going through.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

General sale starts at 9am and is online only. Southend stand tickets available and there is no terrace tickets being sold.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

As difficult a tie as we'll face all year I suspect. From watching clips online, they appear to be a bigger and more athletic team with good technical players, not unlike Riga last year.

I don't expect us to go through but I hope we have something to play for going into the second leg

nial9

Post by nial9 »

In spite of all Higgins claptrap that we are playing a top team the Bookies make us clear favourites. And that is as it should be. A straight forward home win.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Looks like we're going for it with 1 up front

https://twitter.com/derrycityfc/status/ ... qS7QA&s=19

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Thought we showed them too much respect in the first half. Delighted with the win, think we could have had another one or two in the second. Well done lads :)

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Not to get ahead of ourselves but FC Basel lost to Tobol 3-1 at home. Tobol are currently 5th in the Kazakhstan league! Would be a loooong trip should we get through and they finish the job.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Played really well the second half. Showed the kind of tempo that has been missing in a lot of matches this season. Maher pulled off a crucial save at 1 nil down. 2 good goals and could/should've been more.

Hopefully can finish the job next week.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:10 pm Not to get ahead of ourselves but FC Basel lost to Tobol 3-1 at home. Tobol are currently 5th in the Kazakhstan league! Would be a loooong trip should we get through and they finish the job.
Basel are not the team they used to be. I watched Crusaders host them in Europe last season, and they matched them easily in a 1-1 draw. That said, Crues tend to get good results against big name teams in Europe for some reason (2-2 against Rosenburg tonight :o )

That was the best City performance I've seen in a long time tonight. Wy can we not play with that level of hunger and intensity in every game? We obviously have the team for it? If that was our usual from then we'd be winning the league easily enough this year. A great performance and atmosphere all round tongiht. there wasn;t a bad player for us -0 and they hasd no stand out individuals at all.

We have to fancy our chances now of getting something out in Finland, as we were definitely the better team tonight and could have scored 3 or 4 with a bit of luck. #Believe

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Great game and very entertaining. Players did look tired at times which may make it hard to sustain but would love to see that sort of approach more often in the league.

Ref let a lot go which made for a good game even if I think Derry had at least one penalty shout turned down.

Great performance.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

Brilliant, if unexpected, turnaround sparked by the introduction of McMullan and the withdrawal of their right back (surely injured) who was keeping Duffy at bay.

The brandywell at it's bear pit, vibrant best in that second half, especially.

Please tell me, however, the absolute wanker who launched the bottle was dealt with?! If not by those in the section but by the massive security presence in that area.

Roll on next Thursday

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

3 bottles unfortunately

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »