Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by TenaciousDee »

First of two home games this week and we can only pray we can make both games count. This one will certainly be difficult. Last time at Brandywell it was a non-event and at Oriel we let ourselves down with two minutes of madness.

Dummigan returned on Friday but would be surprised if he started (he is now defs starting after that comment) but it would be welcome if he is fit to. For me Brandon Kavanagh should start ahead of O'Neill. I remember little from the former whereas the latter created and attempted chances in his cameo.

In terms of tickets, I am in need of one, so if you are aware of outlets that still has any in stock please post. Otherwise, LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105 will broadcast the game.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:53 pm First of two home games this week and we can only pray we can make both games count. This one will certainly be difficult. Last time at Brandywell it was a non-event and at Oriel we let ourselves down with two minutes of madness.

Dummigan returned on Friday but would be surprised if he started (he is now defs starting after that comment) but it would be welcome if he is fit to. For me Brandon Kavanagh should start ahead of O'Neill. I remember little from the former whereas the latter created and attempted chances in his cameo.

In terms of tickets, I am in need of one, so if you are aware of outlets that still has any in stock please post. Otherwise, LOITV, BBC Radio Foyle and Drive 105 will broadcast the game.
Harkin's Apparently

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Would be great to pick up 6pts this week, but this will be a tough game, always is versus Dundalk. Even more important as can't see Rovers dropping any points at home to Pats or Drogs in their corresponding games.

As for tickets , I thought your face was your ticket Dee!

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

We need to put our home form right for us to stay in contention at the top end.

I really hope we just put Dundalk to the sword tonight.

I would be starting with Brandon Kavanagh and giving him the chance from the off.

3 points is a must, nothing else is good enough.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Hope we adopt a similar approach to the recent St Pats home game with a more direct approach, and start with Cian Kavanagh up front.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Solid performance and an impressive result. Only the 5th win versus Dundalk in 42 games!

Dundalk barely had a sniff until they were 2-0 down. Derry untroubled. Once we get in front, we're hard to break down. Still work to do when we're going forward, would like to see us creating a larger number of chances. We scored two goals from fairly low percentage opportunities which gave us that cushion.

Duffy is such a difference maker.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

First time in a long long time where I feel happy with how we played and how everyone performed.

That first 50/50 was the highlight of my night as sad as I am. Mceneff absolutely smashed Leahy and the fact he had to go off later made it that we bit better. Top class tackle.

Great to see both Kavanagh and McEneff justify their starts tonight. We have all been crying out for these two to get a chance the last few weeks. Hopefully more of the same to come.

Great run from O'Reilly for Duffy to tap home aswell.

More than a 1 goal win, clean sheet and majority of players playing well. I'm happy for a change.

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Always love beating Dundalk. Played really well in spells tonight and scored some nice goals. Good job lads

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thought Diallo played well and a bit of height in C Kavanagh and running ahead of ball from McEneff seemed to work well.

Delighted to see B Kavanagh score but thought he should have been given the full 90. Hope he doesn't get dropped back to bench immediately.

Pitch seemed to claim at least one more victim.

Good win.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

A great performancxe tonight, albeit against a Dundalk team who are no great shakes.

The intensity and aggression with which we started the game was very welcome to see. We took our foot off the gas in the second part of the first half after the stoppages, water break etc, and kind of limped our way to half-time. But the team was regrouped and we came out with intensity and agression again in the second half. It's not often in recent years that we've put 3 past Dundalk, and it could easily have been more. And it was great to see us take off our 2 goalscorers at 2-0, and still control the game and get a third afterwards.

Rovers struggled to put Pats to the sword at home, and both games tonight have given our goal difference a welcome boost, Let's hope we put a few past UCD on Friday to give it another boost again.

All in all, the best I've seen Derry play since the President's Cuop game. Is this Paddy having an impact, or Higgins finally adopting his tactics ?

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Great to finally nail this lot. High tempo energetic aggressive performance with quality goals. Think when McEniff starts you get a higher and more effective press and it was his press that created the opener and sets the game up for Derry. And he took it sweetly. Small & XL Kavanagh had good games. Diallo & O’Reilly ran the middle. 5 wins in 6. 5 clean sheets in 6. More of the same please City.

RAWA Citytilidie

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Small and XL Kavanagh :lol:

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

TenaciousDee wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:18 am Small and XL Kavanagh :lol:
Not mine. Skint hill’s…….

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:19 am
TenaciousDee wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:18 am Small and XL Kavanagh :lol:
Not mine. Skint hill’s…….
Why don't we just brand them as 'little & large' ;)