UTV and BBC NI Sport on a Friday night

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

UTV and BBC NI Sport on a Friday night

Post by davy_g »

Does anybody else ever notice that UTV sport on a Friday evening never ever mention us or our games . They go over almost every sport, even the most least watched ones with one man and their dog watching it, but never mention us. Tonight was 1st against 3rd, a massive game for us. They always finish with "and thats all your sport tonight". Not for me, I was looking forward to 1st against 3rd tonight in the LOI. Did they mention it? Not a chance. I did send them an email about this about six months ago but didn't ever get even an acknowledgement from them. Bit of a rant I know but it does make me angry though.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: UTV and BBC NI Sport on a Friday night

Post by Nige92 »

You're right, they never mention Institute, City of Derry RFC or Finn Harps either :evil: :evil:

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Nige92 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:54 pm You're right, they never mention Institute, City of Derry RFC or Finn Harps either :evil: :evil:
Why would they mention Finn Harps?

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

West of the Bann... are you surprised ?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

UTV do not have any rights to the LOI, unlike the BBC who pay the FAI to broadcast the City games. Therefore, no-one (rarely) mentions them.

Been a long while since I watched Final Score on BBC on a Saturday but I don't think they mention Rugby outside of Ulster and Ireland games. CoD are that far down the league structure I don't think their league would be mentioned, or anyone in Belfast in that league for that matter.

Even if either station did mention Derry, most of Northern Ireland would be asking why? We play in a league that isn't based in the six counties so in general the news outlet would be targeting a small minority.

In fairness though, I think we should be more concerned about the lack of coverage of local sport in our own city of our own teams, rather than what BBC and ITV are doing.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hardly Surprising when you had Gregory on Radio Foyle complaining about their live coverage of City games home,away and European games whilst neglecting to cover Coleraine or Institute ( when Institute was a premiership team)

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:38 pm
Nige92 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:54 pm You're right, they never mention Institute, City of Derry RFC or Finn Harps either :evil: :evil:
Why would they mention Finn Harps?
Ulster Television