Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
rodgers
Manager
Manager

Re: Dundalk v Derry City Match Thread

Post by rodgers »

Felt again as if they wanted to sit on a one nil. Dundalk were poor but improved once Hoban and Tulloch came on. Boyce had a tough time and I think was lucky not to concede a penalty. Stupid free kick to concede for equaliser and second goal completely avoidable.

Did well to get equaliser.

Initially I thought that Diallo would be able to step up a level in his first full season but so far he has been quite sloppy.

Glad to see Duffy back and interested to see how Whelan does. I think Brandon Kavanagh was unlucky not to feature at all. When McEneff went off I would have brought him on.

jimd

Post by jimd »

Same old story 1 up and we go back to the old tactics slow the game down, instead of pushing on and killing of the game good to see Duffy back

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Prior to conceding I felt we controlled the game against a poor Dundalk starting 11. I know earlier in the day and on Monday night I made comment on dropping O'Neill and Patching from the starting 11 but it was long overdue and with O'Neill missing, in particular, you could see one noted difference.

Ben this afternoon was given an advanced role on the left, giving us a more vigorous approach. O'Neill, as I have pointed out several times, likes to slowly approach the wing back, stop short of taking them on and passes backwards. If he does get behind the defence he wonders into the box and either plays a horrible ball or passes backwards. With Ben, his approach was different. Each time he received the ball he looked for what pass was on and aimed to zip balls into the box the nanosecond the opportunity presented itself. It matched what Graydon attempts to do on the opposite side and gave the flanks the closest thing I have seen to balance all season. With Duffy coming back there seems to be hope, but Graydon looked hurt going off so hopefully we can have a similar performance from the wings.

About a quarter of the game gone I noticed McGonigle was struggling with an issue on his left leg. Not sure if he had a knock or pulled something but he looked uncomfortable for most of the afternoon. Kavanagh's goal gives hope of a threat in the air and possibly an opportunity to get the ball rolling with a different type of player spearheading the attack. Only one start this season and in his cameos to date the time has probably just added up to 90 minutes. An incredible finish from Cian and he did well to get in behind the defender to meet the cross.

Other than that, same old with the centre of midfield. No matter who we played there today the players in question were passed by. We need to bring them into the game and press the opposition. Our set up I imagined would have been ideal for McEneff but when he receives the ball he is too far back to make a move of attack. O'Reilly is running around chasing and trying to turn possession over but it means nothing if the other two are not pushing forward anticipating the pass.

Positive that we gained a point from a losing position and we showed resilience to get back into the game. Before we conceded the game was dull and background noise in my house. Fantastic finish and a point probably a fair result.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Results since Renolyds left results have been poor. Time to bin the excuses (injuries, plastic pitches, refs etc) and for the manager and players to accept responsibility. We need to improve. Over a whole season I still see us as being 2nd best to Rovers. But the league is great this season - lots of strong teams so no game is a nailed on win.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

I've been saying for months we need a striker. McGonigle and O'Neill constantly disappoint.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

kitwe wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:21 am I've been saying for months we need a striker. McGonigle and O'Neill constantly disappoint.
We do miss Akentundi's strength and ability to hold the ball up whilst others join the play. I still think we lack the energy and running of Tomson from midfield. We've added players - some that are making an impact - but you're right our goal threat from forwards is limited. With results dropping off i suspect we need to step up our search for a decent no.2. the issue may be compensation as most decent options will be with clubs.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

We miss Akentundi in the same way we miss Roddy Collins.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

What I would love to know is when the players are going to click?????

This has been thrown about the last while and I have yet to see anything that would suggest there is another gear or two to go up.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am
kitwe wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:21 am I've been saying for months we need a striker. McGonigle and O'Neill constantly disappoint.
We do miss Akentundi's strength and ability to hold the ball up whilst others join the play. I still think we lack the energy and running of Tomson from midfield. We've added players - some that are making an impact - but you're right our goal threat from forwards is limited. With results dropping off i suspect we need to step up our search for a decent no.2. the issue may be compensation as most decent options will be with clubs.
Higgins said he's in no rush to sign an assistant and may opt for an interim assistant until the right one becomes available.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Hopefully a glimpse of what is to come from the team attacking wise.

Doherty at left back and Duffy on left wing will tear teams apart. Would like to see Kavanagh and Jamie play up front together in some matches and maybe sacrifice someone in midfield to accommodate it.

We're still struggling to get the right combination in midfield.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I agree about Midfield. Fats is needed regardless of people's opinion on whether he should be that deep or not. I think it is becoming more evident he carries us. O'Reilly has been very good in the last few weeks but the big question will be is Dummigan going to come in at that role he is currently occupying or will he be placed at RB? The third player is interchangeable but if McEneff is pushed further forward I think that would be the right combination.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Dummigan would be a waste at full back, although he can do a job there.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

brandyball wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:12 pm
marcoloco wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:28 am
Higgins said he's in no rush to sign an assistant and may opt for an interim assistant until the right one becomes available.
Sounds to me like someone's waiting to the end of the IL season..

jimd

Post by jimd »

Waiting for the end of the irish league, I hope so