Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:05 pm Just say it Dave Bassett, you want to play 4-4-2?

If not 4-4-2, what formation do you want that gets two men up front.
Erm 3-5-2 .

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

I can see it now, as I have done already this season... 'You're playing 5 at the back at home to Drogheda'.

Brilliant.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:03 pm I can see it now, as I have done already this season... 'You're playing 5 at the back at home to Drogheda'.

Brilliant.
3 at back, 5 in midfield, 2 up front. Why can't you get it?

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Marty tell us the great winning formation that is going to get us winning with one man up front and no one breaking from midfield to support- or do you suggest keeping the same formation that has got us boring football and not producing results.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

brandyball wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:17 pm
Marty wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:03 pm I can see it now, as I have done already this season... 'You're playing 5 at the back at home to Drogheda'.

Brilliant.
3 at back, 5 in midfield, 2 up front. Why can't you get it?
That would be the same people calling 4-3-3 4-5-1.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

davybhoy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:26 pm Marty tell us the great winning formation that is going to get us winning with one man up front and no one breaking from midfield to support- or do you suggest keeping the same formation that has got us boring football and not producing results.
What I would suggest is, firstly, it's going ok. A win tomorrow puts us top.

Secondly, we try to create some sort of an atmosphere at home against a team that isn't called Shamrock Rovers so it actually feels like an environment where players want to play.

Thirdly, we continue to evolve the squad as we aren't as good as Rovers yet. We need Duffy back and we need a winger on the other side. Graydon is a nice useful player, but I see him more as an excellent squad player than someone who is going to drive us to a league title. I do agree with other's points that he would be helped by Coll not playing behind him.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Formations usually come and go. 4 4 2 will be back at some point.

The thing that I find disappointing at the moment is this desire to turn McEleney into a player like him.

I had hoped the new players would have allowed him to play further up but injuries have scuppered that at the moment.

In my opinion, one thing that can overcome pitches tactics and the rest is Duffy. I think he is the best player in the league who can be a matchwinner. Yet, two years in a row now he's been injured for large spells.

But in the meantime I'd like to see us play a bit differently at home. Admittedly, breaking a team down is far harder than sitting in.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

It normally takes 3 or 4 seasons to create a team worthy of winning the league. We're making strides but still serious short comings in our play and tactics. Injuries have a big part to play and were missing some top players. Hopefully a win tonight can banish the poor home form. Wonder does Higgins regret allowing Thompson and Akitunde to leave last year? 2 big calls.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:21 pm It normally takes 3 or 4 seasons to create a team worthy of winning the league. We're making strides but still serious short comings in our play and tactics. Injuries have a big part to play and were missing some top players. Hopefully a win tonight can banish the poor home form. Wonder does Higgins regret allowing Thompson and Akitunde to leave last year? 2 big calls.
He might if Akintunde scores tonight.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Greengo wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:32 pm First defeat of the season guys... We wont win every game...
My frustration isn't with the Drogheda result alone but the long line of home results across this season and last. Results aren't matching expectations and nothing seems to have been changed in order to combat it.

I do think having Duffy, Dummigan and Whelan back will make a significant difference as they're all better than the players they'll replace. Granted Whelan is a projection.

With Dummigan in the team it might allow for more positional flexibility. He can start as a RB but could drift inside to midfield to create a greater overload, or he could slide inside to make a back 3 and have Doherty push up on the left.

The hope with Whelan is that he can offer greater build up play than what Jamie currently does. Personally, I don't think 2 out and out strikers is a necessity of you create a numerical advantage using your full backs and wide forwards.