Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by eugenio »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:34 pm
eugenio wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:08 pm
stevebradley wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:22 pm

I'm probably missing something obvious - but if we're the team that is most used to the Brandywell pitch, then how come it's a disadvantage only to us and not the teams we play against at home ? Why are our players so limited by it, but no-one else ? How can other teams be better than us on a pitch and a stadium that we play in every other week ? I don't get this.
Steve. That’s it they are NOT better than us they just come to be dour and find we are dour as well so some of them pinch a point from or 3 from us u. s Look away from home some of the games were great and we were better ad looked better Tbh at home generally it w Poor Entertainmentt to say the least
Look the Cup Final the BOHS games always St Pats always Tallagh we showed class Same at Dundalk We got points Up at home here our lack oof results took us to second. At the Brandy it was turgid stuff a lot of games be honest
I too blame that pitch. Sorry I’ve talked to quite a few players
Hate is the word they use about it and away players delighted to have to play on it only twice a season
Is the real source of the problem therefore not how teams set up to play against us when they visit - and our inability to break them down, due to our ongoing lack of incisive play/players - rather than the pitch itself, which magically only seems to have a negative impact on those wearing a red and white shirt ? As stated - winners find a way to win, not excuses.
Steve now we agree we have played some games where we just passed and passed and passed with no obvious plan Yes I agree The negative impact on those wearing a Red and White shirt is exactly that The bloody pitch makes them negative I would hate to,play on that weekly …so poss the motivation to me would be lower but tactically Yes. teams love us passing the ball along the back as they drop off and watch us I do remember one game though we threw men forward late on ,,, played long balls in there early and totally hammered the opposition AND AND AND the crowd loved it

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:34 pm
eugenio wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:08 pm
stevebradley wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:22 pm

I'm probably missing something obvious - but if we're the team that is most used to the Brandywell pitch, then how come it's a disadvantage only to us and not the teams we play against at home ? Why are our players so limited by it, but no-one else ? How can other teams be better than us on a pitch and a stadium that we play in every other week ? I don't get this.
Steve. That’s it they are NOT better than us they just come to be dour and find we are dour as well so some of them pinch a point from or 3 from us u. s Look away from home some of the games were great and we were better ad looked better Tbh at home generally it w Poor Entertainmentt to say the least
Look the Cup Final the BOHS games always St Pats always Tallagh we showed class Same at Dundalk We got points Up at home here our lack oof results took us to second. At the Brandy it was turgid stuff a lot of games be honest
I too blame that pitch. Sorry I’ve talked to quite a few players
Hate is the word they use about it and away players delighted to have to play on it only twice a season
Is the real source of the problem therefore not how teams set up to play against us when they visit - and our inability to break them down, due to our ongoing lack of incisive play/players - rather than the pitch itself, which magically only seems to have a negative impact on those wearing a red and white shirt ? As stated - winners find a way to win, not excuses.
Steve now we agree we have played some games where we just passed and passed and passed with no obvious plan Yes I agree The negative impact on those wearing a Red and White shirt is exactly that The bloody pitch makes them negative I would hate to,play on that weekly …so poss the motivation to me would be lower but tactically Yes. teams love us passing the ball along the back as they drop off and watch us I do remember one game though we threw men forward late on ,,, played long balls in there early and totally hammered the opposition AND AND AND the crowd loved it

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

How come Dundalk have been playing on plastic pitch last 10 years at least won an awful lot matches and league ,or is their pitch better quality than ours.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

magspat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:18 pm How come Dundalk have been playing on plastic pitch last 10 years at least won an awful lot matches and league ,or is their pitch better quality than ours.
Yes

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

eugenio wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:46 pm
magspat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:18 pm How come Dundalk have been playing on plastic pitch last 10 years at least won an awful lot matches and league ,or is their pitch better quality than ours.
Yes
Is it though, and how do you know that Eugenio ? Dundalk fans appear to not think much of it.

If we're honest, artifical grass is one of those topics that people come into with very strong views - largely on the side of those opposed to it. That then tends to weigh heavy on their views and judgeent on the whole topic in my experience.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Since the match I have heard a couple of times a variation of the line "that's the worst Dundalk team I have seen". Firstly, people must forget the 2002 and 2011 teams. Secondly, if that was the case what does that say about us?

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Frustrating to watch and a few things stood out for me that we need to improve on:

- A few times we won the ball back from Dundalk in the midfield area and an early through ball was on for Jamie who was making a run in behind Dundalk's high line defence, but we opt to play square and back. This must be infuriating for Jamie who is busting his balls making runs.

- Some quality crosses into the box from Ben and Graydon, but little movement from Jamie or Kavanagh to find space in the box. You can tell when Ben is going to whip in a quality cross, so our forwards should also be anticipating this and getting into position for it.

The pitch is unpredictable with the bounce and bobbles which means our players don't trust it and have to take extra touches as opposed to playing slick incisive passes which we see at away matches.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:55 pm
eugenio wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:46 pm
Yes
Is it though, and how do you know that Eugenio ? Dundalk fans appear to not think much of it.

If we're honest, artifical grass is one of those topics that people come into with very strong views - largely on the side of those opposed to it. That then tends to weigh heavy on their views and judgeent on the whole topic in my experience.
I find people who don’t dislike the 3G have heavy leanings against those who do I’m not into stats. But games nd results at the old Brandy and don’t forget Maginn park we’re so much better I spoke to a few who worked on the laying of the pitch Tarmac under the surface no watering provision Read other posts re the bounce. Etc the slowness Look at the results since it was laid Then look at. Away results . Deccie playing there used Parkinson as a target for Junior Ie he played a certain way He got some results that way All I’m saying is. …. Home results are poor …. away are good on grass and at Oriel park too btw. previously at home on grass and away. we were good sometimes v v good In others So I rest my case I hate it I’m sorry but I do. if I younger I’d do a paper on it talking to players., Physio’s , etc asking about how it’s laid too because I think there’s so much around our 3G that is to say the least odd

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I don't think away teams play better than us at home. They just tend to sit in more and the pitch helps them in that regard. Play is slow and players have to let the ball bounce more because it could go anywhere.