Just a cuppa

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
eugenio
Manager
Manager

Just a cuppa

Post by eugenio »

I suspect like with the pitch I’ll run into a brick wall here But does anyone see on the Mark Farren side the poss of a wee stand just doing a wee cuppa instead of having to queue at a chippie for a long time .Martin’s wee green tea hut was magical even a wee sit down inside but it’s gone To the left of the Stand there’s a v suitable area and now our attendances are booming it might more than pay for itself After 3 hours on the road and watching through the glass in the stand at the folks having their wee cuppa sometime I’m gasping Lol lol 😂

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Just a cuppa

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:21 pm I suspect like with the pitch I’ll run into a brick wall here But does anyone see on the Mark Farren side the poss of a wee stand just doing a wee cuppa instead of having to queue at a chippie for a long time .Martin’s wee green tea hut was magical even a wee sit down inside but it’s gone To the left of the Stand there’s a v suitable area and now our attendances are booming it might more than pay for itself After 3 hours on the road and watching through the glass in the stand at the folks having their wee cuppa sometime I’m gasping Lol lol 😂
Flask of tea anyone? :lol:

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

The food and drink offering at the Brandywell has been poor for soem time now, and hasn't really grown with the crowds.

I guess the big question is - who arranges it and who gets the money ? If it's the council rather than the club, then that may explain why it's sub-par, as it would need someone to approach the council about going in there. Then there's also the question of what sort of contract the current food provider has, and what does it exclude other people selling ?

The whole matchday operation needs some proper thought longer-term in my opinion, There's a good bit of open space on the Mark Farren side that could be used to help make the games a bit of a destination, rather than somewhere you just head to shortly before kick-off. Have beer tents, street food stalls etc, a bit of live music,and try to get people down to the games earlier for the craic. Treat it almost like a wee festival as a one-off to see if it works. But again - that'll all come down to who runs it all amd who gets the money. If the club doesn't see any of the cash from the cateriong, then they'd be right not to bother. So if so - they should engage with the council on getting that changed.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

All correct.

It's been a mess for years. Having to stand in a queue for up to 25min to get a burger or a bag of chips is crazy.

Not sure why there is only a single hot food van on each side of the ground, when it's quite obvious there's the market there for several more. As SB alluded to, perhaps the contract is only out to one seller? Or there is some other restriction in place?

Would love to see a variety of food sellers at the ground, meaning you could go and get food without queuing for ages.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:42 am The food and drink offering at the Brandywell has been poor for soem time now, and hasn't really grown with the crowds.

I guess the big question is - who arranges it and who gets the money ? If it's the council rather than the club, then that may explain why it's sub-par, as it would need someone to approach the council about going in there. Then there's also the question of what sort of contract the current food provider has, and what does it exclude other people selling ?

The whole matchday operation needs some proper thought longer-term in my opinion, There's a good bit of open space on the Mark Farren side that could be used to help make the games a bit of a destination, rather than somewhere you just head to shortly before kick-off. Have beer tents, street food stalls etc, a bit of live music,and try to get people down to the games earlier for the craic. Treat it almost like a wee festival as a one-off to see if it works. But again - that'll all come down to who runs it all amd who gets the money. If the club doesn't see any of the cash from the cateriong, then they'd be right not to bother. So if so - they should engage with the council on getting that changed.
A wee peep,into Seaview CRUES ground Steve would do your heart good it has just what you say

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

eugenio wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:16 pm
stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:42 am The food and drink offering at the Brandywell has been poor for soem time now, and hasn't really grown with the crowds.

A wee peep,into Seaview CRUES ground Steve would do your heart good it has just what you say
Know Seaview well Eugenio, and did a 10 page article on it and the Crues for Football Weekends magazien a couple of years ago.

For such a small compact ground you're not stuck for a drink or a bite to eat (including in their refurbished club house, which is very good). just goes to show what a small club with ambition can do when it owns its own ground.

Solitude is more like the Brandywell for having limited hot food options.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Where do you even get a cup of tea in the ground now? Is there still the tiny shop at the entrance at the Brandywell Road?

I will admit, since the return to the Brandywell I have only been to the matches once as a supporter and that was during the COVID restrictions in 2021 when the chip vans weren't even allowed in. I thought that was absolutely disgusting that you had 3000 people at a match (Derry v Harps) with no food facilities and the nearest chippy to the ground (Barr's?) didn't accept card in an area with no bank machines. Things like this ruins match day experiences for those not only regular to it but sampling it for the first time.
stevebradley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:52 pm For such a small compact ground you're not stuck for a drink or a bite to eat (including in their refurbished club house, which is very good). just goes to show what a small club with ambition can do when it owns its own ground.
I have been at Seaview once for a Crusaders Reserve game about 12 years ago and called into the clubhouse at half time. It reminded me of "The Kneebreakers" Uncle Andy drank in. It had a portrait of the Queen and coverage of a sport called Goal Ball that was an Olympic game for the visually impaired at the London Games. Surreal and unforgettable experience.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:55 pm I have been at Seaview once for a Crusaders Reserve game about 12 years ago and called into the clubhouse at half time. It reminded me of "The Kneebreakers" Uncle Andy drank in. It had a portrait of the Queen and coverage of a sport called Goal Ball that was an Olympic game for the visually impaired at the London Games. Surreal and unforgettable experience.
It was completely refurbished about 5yrs ago. Rebuilt in places even. It's a very nice facility now (the McDonald Centre) that is unrecognisable compared to what was there before. They use it to host matchday events with speakers and a meal before games - like this one with Gerry Armstrong this weekend : https://crusadersfootballclub.com/tickets . At only £15 a ticket it's very reasonable IMO

We have nothing at the Brandywell, sure.

da-gama
First Team
First Team

Post by da-gama »

The massive caveat with the great facilities at seaview means, of course, it entails having to sit through 90 minutes of Baxter 'football.' :lol:

All valid points mind.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

da-gama wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:22 pm The massive caveat with the great facilities at seaview means, of course, it entails having to sit through 90 minutes of Baxter 'football.' :lol:

All valid points mind.
Access to a hot meal and a pint would definitely have made having to put up with Decky Devine and Kenny Shiels football a lot better :lol:

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

da-gama wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:22 pm The massive caveat with the great facilities at seaview means, of course, it entails having to sit through 90 minutes of Baxter 'football.' :lol:

All valid points mind.
I just wanted a cuppa but the flask idea is the answer lol :D :D :D May bring a super flask and sell of a few cups :D Writing to our beloved council for permission tho. D :D :D :D

dcbhoy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by dcbhoy »

If you enter via Southend Park entrance, there is a tea / coffee snack van there, then take it over to MF stand

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

dcbhoy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:08 pm If you enter via Southend Park entrance, there is a tea / coffee snack van there, then take it over to MF stand
Great dc didn’t know that that’s a great one thank you

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

There seems plenty of booze about the place and not much tea

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

forza wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm There seems plenty of booze about the place and not much tea
‘’ I’ll have a litre of Vodke and 5 flares “ no,problems
‘’ I’ll have a cuppa tea and a biscuit” No way here mate

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

eugenio wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 pmNo way here mate
I read that in the strongest Belfast accent ever.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

eugenio wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 pm
forza wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm There seems plenty of booze about the place and not much tea
Time to ban the block k blockheads that insist on cans of heaven's knows what,a bottle of the monk's brew and their fire display. Can they not go 90 minutes without a glug?

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

See Pod on about flares and a life time ban for those with them Plenty of flares at Richmond Pk Both sets of “fans” Bottles appearing at Linfield v Glens game I do hope that the extreme groups don’t escalate behaviour into an unacceptable levelI have a fear a little about how things are looking on this front

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

forza wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:19 pm
eugenio wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 pm
Time to ban the block k blockheads that insist on cans of heaven's knows what,a bottle of the monk's brew and their fire display. Can they not go 90 minutes without a glug?
There's people in various parts of th stadium openly having a drink at games though - not just Block K. Stewards don't seem to care.

I'm with you in that anyone who can't get through watching a football match without alcohol probably needs to see someone. But when nothing's done about it then there'll be people who take advantage of that. I guess if they're not causing any hassle then it's not an issue, but it does make a mockery of the club allegedly being in charge/control of what happens at games.