StPatricks Athletic(A) match thread.

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Re: StPatricks Athletic(A) match thread.

Post by mokendismucker »

kitwe wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm We really deserved to win this. We were the better team and unfortunately conceded from 4th corner in a row.
We move on. It's early days.
We are still a bloody good team.
Exactly this. Disappointing to have dropped 2 so late but a solid point away to a top rival. We controlled the game for long spells. Games against Rovers and Pats will be games you don’t want to lose in. Against the rest the points have to be hovered up.

One other thought is that we will have to build in an extra margin for the Dublin officials. Not going to get a lot from them.

Great to be up and going again and onwards and upwards.

RAWA

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

I wonder if we had won would the anti-Patching brigade be as vociferous ?

He's a class player who on his day can turn a game on its head... I'd rather he was doing it with us than against us...

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

mokendismucker wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:50 am
kitwe wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm We really deserved to win this. We were the better team and unfortunately conceded from 4th corner in a row.
Exactly this. Disappointing to have dropped 2 so late but a solid point away to a top rival. We controlled the game for long spells. Games against Rovers and Pats will be games you don’t want to lose in. Against the rest the points have to be hovered up.

One other thought is that we will have to build in an extra margin for the Dublin officials. Not going to get a lot from them.

RAWA
O’Neill should have been sent off and you’re complaining about the ref!

We conceded a late goal it happens, we were kissing quite a lot of players. Kananagh not up to it again when he came on up front.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Still think we need a good bustling centre forward.

dcfc_legend9
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_legend9 »

Greengo wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:03 pm I wonder if we had won would the anti-Patching brigade be as vociferous ?

He's a class player who on his day can turn a game on its head... I'd rather he was doing it with us than against us...
O'reilly must have had his back broke last night carrying him

I have consistently stated that Will Patching is a passenger for 95% of our games even if we do win or not.

The opinion of most people I was chatting to in inchicore last night would tell you he was a passenger.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:51 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:50 am

RAWA
O’Neill should have been sent off and you’re complaining about the ref!

We conceded a late goal it happens, we were kissing quite a lot of players. Kananagh not up to it again when he came on up front.
Surely O'neill not being sent off proves the point about the ref?

Jamie didn't fare much better.

Who was kissing all those players?

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Did I miss something? Why should o'neill have been sent off. The rev was brutal gave us nothing, typical Harvey performance. It's didn't cost us points nonetheless.

Patching had a good game playing deep but when moved further forward he was a passenger, he has no pressing ability.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

He put in a high two footed challenge on the halfway line in the first half. Don't even remember if he got booked for it but at the time I thought he was lucky.

Would agree with most that has been said. There are a few issues tactically but it is the first game and it can all be ironed out. Concerned with the fitness of players like Fats, McJannett, Duffy and whether Maher's treatments are for stoppages or not. These are important players we can't afford to miss or use in the last quarter hour.

I will say, Chris Forrester is a moaning hure. Killian Brennan-esque.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

barry wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:18 pm Did I miss something? Why should o'neill have been sent off. The rev was brutal gave us nothing, typical Harvey performance. It's didn't cost us points nonetheless.

Patching had a good game playing deep but when moved further forward he was a passenger, he has no pressing ability.
There were 3 clear yellow cards for professional fouls, not having a go, sometimes things go your way.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Panic over Sligo drew 1-1 with Shamrock Rovers.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Having watched it back, that was a terrible game. Both sides cancelled each other out. We were better side in the second half without creating any chances, they were the better side in the first but created nothing. On another day we win that game.

I suspect I'll make this point again in future but I don't understand why Fats isn't played further forward. Surely he offers more higher up the field. Without him (and Duffy) in the final third we severely lacked creativity. Hopefully he will be moved further up if/when Diallo comes back.

Full backs offered nothing going forward, a problem for large parts of last season as well. Based on that performance, not much has changed from the back end of last season.

Expecting a better showing v Cork

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

At the game we were superior. We should have had. 3 clear goals and with the keeper so suceptible we needed to test him. But those watching in again look at the free kicks in the closing stages At the game it looked as if Patching had ‘gone” at 65 mins Faths looked v unfit Kavanagh runs but is crazy in tackles The re jigging broke all semblance of cohesion It was all so unnecessary Does our managers alarm go off at 65 mins or670 ‘demanding ‘,subs because this happens all the time Weird that eg Doherty signed and played pre season as a left sided player is ignored as Duffy fails pre match test . ‘Mr Tinker man ‘. Rainieri sprang to mind here

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:16 pm At the game we were superior. We should have had. 3 clear goals and with the keeper so suceptible we needed to test him. But those watching in again look at the free kicks in the closing stages At the game it looked as if Patching had ‘gone” at 65 mins Faths looked v unfit Kavanagh runs but is crazy in tackles The re jigging broke all semblance of cohesion It was all so unnecessary Does our managers alarm go off at 65 mins or670 ‘demanding ‘,subs because this happens all the time Weird that eg Doherty signed and played pre season as a left sided player is ignored as Duffy fails pre match test . ‘Mr Tinker man ‘. Rainieri sprang to mind here
In Higgins we trust.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Brandy. My post is an observation not a message of mistrust It refers to subs put on often needlessly disrupting the flow often baffling rem Thompson placed at R Back with two smashing R Backs on the bench Grayson the danger man on Fri last on the right esp winning all kick outs was moved to left wing ineffectually when a left sided played was avail look if it works … GREAT BUT IF it’s simply a foible at 65 to 70 mins it deserves a wee comment `I think so