Ruaidhri Higgins

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Ruaidhri Higgins

Post by brandyball »

Has turned down an offer to become Notts County Mannager.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Ruaidhri Higgins

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 am Has turned down an offer to become Notts County Mannager.
Think he turned down an invite to discuss the position. Not surprising that he's being linked to these jobs but I suspect he's got enough on his plate without wanting external distractions to make matters more difficult. He's got to steady the ship and steer us to another european spot.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:49 am
brandyball wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 am Has turned down an offer to become Notts County Mannager.
Think he turned down an invite to discuss the position. Not surprising that he's being linked to these jobs but I suspect he's got enough on his plate without wanting external distractions to make matters more difficult. He's got to steady the ship and steer us to another european spot.
Radio Foyle today "Higgins confirmed he has turned down an approach from Notts County to become their new manager".

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Ruaidhri nominated for Manager of the year.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

He'd fully deserve that award, given where we were when he took over. To take us to 2nd and a cup win is much better than what Bradley achieved this season, given their respective squads.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:05 pm He'd fully deserve that award, given where we were when he took over. To take us to 2nd and a cup win is much better than what Bradley achieved this season, given their respective squads.
Getting into a European group stage shouldn't be overlooked

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

It's a pity Bradley is nominated too.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:46 am
Keyser Soze wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:05 pm He'd fully deserve that award, given where we were when he took over. To take us to 2nd and a cup win is much better than what Bradley achieved this season, given their respective squads.
Good point.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

Maybe not overlooked but the context should be taken into account. With the Conference League, it's a lot easier for smaller clubs to make a European Group Stage. It's no longer the achievement that it once was. Rovers started in the Champions League quali and "fell" into the Conference League groups by getting knocked out of the CL and EL qualis. Not much of an achievement.

Higgins should have gotten MOTY last year, so I hope he gets it this time.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

PauliAlonso wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:39 pm
Maybe not overlooked but the context should be taken into account. With the Conference League, it's a lot easier for smaller clubs to make a European Group Stage. It's no longer the achievement that it once was. Rovers started in the Champions League quali and "fell" into the Conference League groups by getting knocked out of the CL and EL qualis. Not much of an achievement.

I think this is red-and-white-tinted glasses TBH Pauli. If getting into group stages is that easy, we'll have Irish teams doing it every year. (which we won't).

Higgins has done a great job with us, but I suspect most objective observers would rate winning the league and making the group stages in Europe as demonstrably bigger than finishing 2nd and winning the Cup. I hope Higgins gets it -as we've certainly been the most improved team in the LOI - but we have to be realistic here. First place clearly trumps second place, and European group stages realistically trumps the FAI Cup.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

stevebradley wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:20 pm

I think this is red-and-white-tinted glasses TBH Pauli. If getting into group stages is that easy, we'll have Irish teams doing it every year. (which we won't).
I think we will - maybe not EVERY year, but certainly on a regular basis now. And it will be easier for the league winner, rather than the other Irish teams. I fully expect Rovers to do it again next year. Look at all it took - one tie in the CL quali and one tie in the EL quali - against sides you'd expect to beat. After those wins, they got knocked out of each respective competition by a better team and dropped down a level, eventually ending up in the Conference groups. Fair play to them still, does wonders for the bank balance. But this is why UEFA introduced the Conference League, to give smaller clubs a longer stint in European competition. So to suggest that they achieved something great here is a bit off, as they really just benefitted from a new UEFA competition structure.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:57 am

I think we will - maybe not EVERY year, but certainly on a regular basis now. And it will be easier for the league winner, rather than the other Irish teams. I fully expect Rovers to do it again next year. Look at all it took - one tie in the CL quali and one tie in the EL quali - against sides you'd expect to beat. After those wins, they got knocked out of each respective competition by a better team and dropped down a level, eventually ending up in the Conference groups. Fair play to them still, does wonders for the bank balance. But this is why UEFA introduced the Conference League, to give smaller clubs a longer stint in European competition. So to suggest that they achieved something great here is a bit off, as they really just benefitted from a new UEFA competition structure.
I take your point. But I still don't think you can compare winning the FAI Cup to reaching the group stages of the UEFA Conference League. And 1st place obviously out-trumps 2nd place in any league. I obviously want Higgins to win MOTY, but will understand the reasons why if he doesn't (and it's not because of pro-Dublin bias).

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

stevebradley wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:30 pm
PauliAlonso wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:57 am

I take your point. But I still don't think you can compare winning the FAI Cup to reaching the group stages of the UEFA Conference League. And 1st place obviously out-trumps 2nd place in any league. I obviously want Higgins to win MOTY, but will understand the reasons why if he doesn't (and it's not because of pro-Dublin bias).
Derry navigated 1 tough round (home to Shamrock Rovers) on their cup run.

SR navigated many tougher rounds on their run.

There is no comparison here. There's only one winner.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Bradley is manager of the year no question with getting them into the group stages. Derry finishing on the same points as Dundalk that was a total rebuild although we won the cup is no comparison.