Shelbourne Game,

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Shelbourne Game,

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:38 pm Top quality strikers at loi level are very rare, hard to find and harder to pay.

There are only a few natural goalscorers in the league at present, and we ain't got any of them.

I think that's really the position we need to put any future money towards. Pay whatever it takes to get one, because it'll pay for itself if we can push on and maybe do a Rovers and end up in a European group stage, and the money that brings.
100%. I can't see any goalscoreres in the league who we'd be looking nto sign. So we'll be shopping in other leagues for a goalscorer/poacher in the Summer instead. Which is often a bit of a gamble. And can be expensive.

No way round it though. We're not far off being a good team now. But we won't win anything unless we can srt our lack of goalscoring opportunities (and capitalising on the few we do create). Too late for this season, but that has to be priority No.1 over the Summer. Ideally signing two players who will get goals.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

rodgers wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:42 pm No sign of Connolly too. The only thing I can think of for things like that is Covid.
Thanks for that. Must be some from Dundalk counted?

Any word on McGonigle? Team sheet seemed to have one less sub than Shels.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:06 pm
If Higgins / Reynolds are the dre team how come the don't see what the rest of us can?
It was only for 20 minutes (60-80 mins) but there was a clear and obvious difference. Hopefully they'll have noticed and will take it on board. We've been saying it on here for a while

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Good 3 points and for once a wee bit of luck. Agree with a lot of the comments on here re- Fats playing in a more forward role which allows him to either play a defence splitting pass or as he did tonight , have a shot from the edge of the box. Duffy is a class act and we need to get the ball through to him quickly, I think the slow pace we have playing out from the back allows teams to set up defensively. Boyce coming on added a bit more urgency going forward so hopefully he can keep going.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

rodgers wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:00 pm
Thanks for that. Must be some from Dundalk counted?
Aye his suspension was for 8 cards during the season, meaning he misses Friday too. Mentioned on Twitter yesterday that his name is the first to be put on the Suspension List all season domestically for the club. Smith's red in Europe is the only one giving this season against us and our players last year were getting stupid yellows for needless, self inflicted problems like chatting back at the ref, 'smart' fouls and time wasting. This year that craic has been cleaned up and had we not signed Connolly, we'd be going into September without a domestic suspension.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Keyser I see it not so much thw actual player as the reluctance to commit players in the box Look for me the near post is never attacked and apart from Duffy and late on Boyce the standard of cross is v v poor I think on the training pitch an emphasis on box work is demanded Let’s hear the stats men WE win and with Toal we won huge amounts of balls from corners yet always headed loosely wide I think 6 extra goals could have seen us top yet We must examine where we get these goals and v Shels UCD Cork etc we need to get them
Shels poor yet got 8 shots away Any one might have finished us off . Also Brian Clough said the worst team in the world could punish you with a set piece. Why oh why do we foul so v much 30 yards from our own goal v v often after a poor pass from us I think good coaching is all about this not just possession in our half

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

The season is not over yet lads…….