Drogheda Game

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
footman
First Team
First Team

Re: Drogheda Game

Post by footman »

mokendismucker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:57 pm
So pros and cons to the plastic but some have short memories. The brandy pitch was never in decent nick at this time of the year. And it doesn’t matter what surface you are playing on if players hit you late there is nothing you can do.
And with sharing the playing surface with Stute it's going to cut up quicker

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

footman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:45 pm
mokendismucker wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:57 pm
So pros and cons to the plastic but some have short memories. The brandy pitch was never in decent nick at this time of the year. And it doesn’t matter what surface you are playing on if players hit you late there is nothing you can do.
And with sharing the playing surface with Stute it's going to cut up quicker
I'm not sure that Stute would add that much wear and tear to the surface, versus the other uses it gets. There are hordes of kids running all over it on every school holiday for example.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

I'm not sure that Stute would add that much wear and tear to the surface, versus the other uses it gets. There are hordes of kids running all over it on every school holiday for example.
[/quote]

As at Solitude and Seaview……….

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

I was at the game in the Brandywell when Stuart Gauld broke his leg. We had a grass pitch back then. It happens unfortunately regardless of the playing surface. You could argue all day about wear and tear on a plastic pitch v water logged, soggy or a pitch with bald patches... bad injuries are part and parcel of the game. I alway thought the issue with plastic/sand based pitches built over a concrete surface was that it ruined your joints and you had more stiffness after games?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:43 am I was at the game in the Brandywell when Stuart Gauld broke his leg. We had a grass pitch back then. It happens unfortunately regardless of the playing surface. You could argue all day about wear and tear on a plastic pitch v water logged, soggy or a pitch with bald patches... bad injuries are part and parcel of the game. I alway thought the issue with plastic/sand based pitches built over a concrete surface was that it ruined your joints and you had more stiffness after games?
There are probably millions of artifical grass surfaces all over the world, used by hundreds of millions of people every week. Including high performing athletes in various sports. If there genuinely was an identifiable issue with them it would have been clarified by now, and they wouldn't have the global position that they have. I agree with you that plastic gets blamed for a lot of stuff that happened under grass and would just happen anyway. It often seems to be used as an excuse by people who just don't like artifical grass for their own reasons. It's like when there was a whole 'artifical grass gives you cancer' scare about 10yrs ago. Some people will just never like artificial, and so will blame it for anything they can.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I would still be of the view that they are worse generally for injuries and recovery. Maybe some others do, but I don't use that an excuse for my own reasons and I don't blame it for anything I can. I have my own reasons for not liking them.

On the game itself, I think Derry were relatively comfortable. Good to see McGonigle continue to score but I agree that Kavanagh found the game a bit difficult. I thought Dummigan and McEleney were good.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Darragh Markey (Drogheda Utd) suffered a fractured metatarsal in the same game.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Regarding the artificial pitches, is not a case of players being more prone to certain types of injuries caused by studs getting caught in the surface and it jars the motion of the leg/foot?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

KEVK wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm Regarding the artificial pitches, is not a case of players being more prone to certain types of injuries caused by studs getting caught in the surface and it jars the motion of the leg/foot?
That's what's claimed, but the evidence is unclear.

With so many plastic pitches in use al around the world, I work on the theory that if it really was that bad they would've worked it out by now, and places wouldn't be installing it any more (including professional clubs).

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

There was an interview with Jordan McEneff in the Sunday Times last weekend where he says that he told Derry that he couldn't go to them on loan because of the 4g pitch.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:01 pm There was an interview with Jordan McEneff in the Sunday Times last weekend where he says that he told Derry that he couldn't go to them on loan because of the 4g pitch.
The pitch at Tolka is hardly a carpet, so he'll probably do mkre damage to himself on it to be fair :D

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

He also spoke about the bumpy surface at Tolka in the interview but said he told Higgins about his reasons why he couldn't join Derry and that Higgins understood.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

I see a lot of football on 3G in Irish League. What I feel and it’s only my view is that Derrys is by far the worst but as with the haft assed council attitude eg to stands , spectators etc , we are stuck again as second class people that are told “It will do you rightly “. only this time it’s OUR OWN people on council who have no pride in us the ordinary Derry man or woman

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »