Paddy McCourt

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Re: Paddy McCourt

Post by TenaciousDee »

Where have I been one sided then?

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Marco you seem to be the only one offended by my comment...

I gave an opinion and you have picked through it...

Oh and for the record... Usernames are handy to hide behind but IP addresses and such can be monitored by higher authorities than the admin/mods on this site...

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:03 pm Marco you seem to be the only one offended by my comment...

I gave an opinion and you have picked through it...

Oh and for the record... Usernames are handy to hide behind but IP addresses and such can be monitored by higher authorities than the admin/mods on this site...

Great. That gives me some comfort.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

You still havent answered my question ?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:37 pm You still havent answered my question ?
Question?

The issue here is not if i've been offended. But my concern is clear. I don't think what you said is appropriate under the circumstances. That's why much earlier on this thread I suggested that it was closed down. But if your happy with your opinion and don't see any issues with it then that fine.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

It's just my opinion. I didn't set out to offend anyone by it. I know Paddy outside of Derry city and he never struck me as being the type of person to do what is alleged against him...
Am I wrong then to stick up for someone even though nothing has been proved ?

There are two sides to every story not just the allegation...

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:40 pm
Question?

The issue here is not if i've been offended. But my concern is clear. I don't think what you said is appropriate under the circumstances. That's why much earlier on this thread I suggested that it was closed down. But if your happy with your opinion and don't see any issues with it then that fine.
Still haven't answered mine.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Greengo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:53 pm It's just my opinion. I didn't set out to offend anyone by it. I know Paddy outside of Derry city and he never struck me as being the type of person to do what is alleged against him...
Am I wrong then to stick up for someone even though nothing has been proved ?

There are two sides to every story not just the allegation...
Agree 100%. There's a first for us. But that's been my point from the outset. There's two sides to every story so we should stay neutral and let the authorities deal with it.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:41 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:40 pm
Question?

Still haven't answered mine.
I have and will again. Collectively I felt the posts implied that the mods was supportive of one side and dismissive of the other side, which I don't consider is appropriate. I've explained many time I think neutrality is the best approach given that its a serious incident. Simple as that.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

It clearly isn't that simple because I asked how am I, not collectively, taking a side? I see your issue with Greengo's post but the "runour and innuendo" remark doesn't imply I am biased when someone who is investigating the case has dismissed the claim of something reported in the Scum dirt rag.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:06 pm It clearly isn't that simple because I asked how am I, not collectively, taking a side? I see your issue with Greengo's post but the "runour and innuendo" remark doesn't imply I am biased when someone who is investigating the case has dismissed the claim of something reported in the Scum dirt rag.
I read the first post and it was quickly followed by your post suggesting that the solicitor firm had put out a statement addressing the charges and claims made and therefore, in your opinion, its was all settled. Done and dusted. Yet, the solicitor is representing their client. As they should do. But that's only one side of this story. Hence, when the two posts are taken collectively they suggest or lend support for one side and not the other. Which is why I asked for neutrality.

Paul_C
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Paul_C »

Innocent until proven guilty, obviously. However, it couldn't have come at a worse time after all the hardwork that has gone into strengthening the side and the feelgood factor that has been reignited among many fans.

Budgie

Post by Budgie »

I haven't posted for quite some time. But on this topic, I think people should take note of a previous, "similar" type allegations and how the court of public opinion reacted, and indeed, passed judgement.

Paddy Jackson and the other 3 Ulster Rugby players were found not guilty in a court of law.

The public however, by and large had them convicted. And it was this that led to serious changes occurring in their private and professional lives. Changes that should not happen to individuals found innocent. Jackson, for example, was released by his club, had to find employment in another country. Remember, found NOT GUILTY.

Recently, Raith Rovers have had to U-turn on their decision to sign David Goodwillie, another high profile sportsman who was never criminally convicted.

My point is whilst we all have opinions, these opinions when put on social media, football forums, and message boards, seep into the general public psyche, and perverts the decisions that the criminal justice system reach. This cannot be right. It also cannot be allowed to happen.

I wouldn't call for this thread to be closed. People have a right to speak. I only seek to ask people to think before they post.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Budgie wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:45 pm I haven't posted for quite some time. But on this topic, I think people should take note of a previous, "similar" type allegations and how the court of public opinion reacted, and indeed, passed judgement.

Paddy Jackson and the other 3 Ulster Rugby players were found not guilty in a court of law.

The public however, by and large had them convicted. And it was this that led to serious changes occurring in their private and professional lives. Changes that should not happen to individuals found innocent. Jackson, for example, was released by his club, had to find employment in another country. Remember, found NOT GUILTY.

Recently, Raith Rovers have had to U-turn on their decision to sign David Goodwillie, another high profile sportsman who was never criminally convicted.

My point is whilst we all have opinions, these opinions when put on social media, football forums, and message boards, seep into the general public psyche, and perverts the decisions that the criminal justice system reach. This cannot be right. It also cannot be allowed to happen.

I wouldn't call for this thread to be closed. People have a right to speak. I only seek to ask people to think before they post.
You're right about David Coodwillie. Never criminally convicted. However, he was found guilty of rape in a civil court by Lord Armstrong and ordered to pay significant damages to the victim. Proof that these things are never straight forward or black and white and hence, for reasons stated in my earlier posts, not something we should be offering 'opinions on' when it's still an open case.

fanatic

Post by fanatic »

I can’t remember ever, when a defendant actually goes and puts his version of events out in public, before they’ve been to court.

normally they wait to defend themselves in court.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

This thread should be taken down as it’s a live court case