League win within next few years

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
paul60
First Team
First Team

League win within next few years

Post by paul60 »

Listened to Phillip O’Doherty on Foyle and the good news is that he intends the club to win the league in the next few years and part of that reason he enticed Higgins to join Derry. :D :D :D .
Oops footnote - he’s just sold E+I Engineering and they are increasing the employees by 100.
He’s remaining with E+I for at least another 5 years.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Re: League win within next few years

Post by eugenio »

A swan song perhaps. He’s been a lifeline no one would deserve it more but this squad ??is it ready ?Lose Toal eg and POSs Boyce a few others getting on. The horrific pitch and the Euro bucks floating around I would say we will just get more of this season A bit of a grind a few horror shows but no teeth for a league title in the immediate future in my.mind.

McDump

Post by McDump »

He's just sold his company and made an absolute f#[kin' fortune. Richest chairman in the league now? Must be.

Man clearly loves this football club - we know where we'd be without him. He stated a three year plan to win the league recently, and while we all thought it was pie-in-the-sky stuff, he also must have known about this sale when making that statement. These things don't just happen overnight.

When I read that news yesterday, my thoughts turned to completed stadiums, marquee signings and other Abramovich-esque fun.

Am I mad to be excited by this news or totally naïve?

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

He loves Derry but is no mug who will bail team out year after year. I Think he will limit what he puts in and tie it to the development of home grown players, that is, if there are ones that are good enough to be developed and a pyramid of coaching to bring them through.

He like the other sponsors who have dipped deep to keep the team operating will want an upturn in support and gain regular qualification in Europe allowing the financial burden to be lessened and cash come through that route most years.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I think he'll put money into long-term infrastructure (the training centre, mainly) and possibly a modest - but not extreme - playing budget increase. You don't become the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company by thinking that splurging your load on expensive, short-term signings is a good idea. If he's planning to work until 65, then I'd expect that's when he plans to back out of Derry City too. We need to make sure that the club is on an even enough keel that the wage budget and expenses can still be managed without his end-of-season cheques.

Still though, football aside, fair play to him. Well deserved.

McDump

Post by McDump »

Pauli,

He announced a three-year plan to win the league, and there's really only one way to do that over such a short timeframe - the academies aren't going to pay dividend that quickly, barring some class of '92-style miracle. And while it might not be a good idea to splurge on short-term signings, winning the league for only the third time in the club's history could be the legacy of his chairmanship if he felt like it. Or a completed modern stadium for the city.

Obviously that's not how you become the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company - but he HAS become one, and now the question is, does he fancy having some fun with it, like other billionaires have done? What's he going to spend his hundreds of millions on? He's not shopping in Lidl anymore like.

I know precious little about the man btw, so I'm totally speculating on what he might do and dreaming about spending his money for him :)

Absolutely fantastic to see someone associated with our club and city doing so well in life.

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

johnm wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:46 am He loves Derry but is no mug who will bail team out year after year.
I would beg to differ. He is no mug obviously BUT he has been bailing the club out year after year. PO'D runs a very successful business in E&I which is seen with the deal announced yesterday. However with a bit of that business magic he could run Derry City in a totally different manner and become profitable. Putting full time staff into the club, opening an academy with club shop and permanent office space included would lift the club's profile dramatically. A new stadium would be nice as well....

I cannot believe in all the years he has been involved full time staff have not been appointed to critical roles

General Manager
Community relations
Marketing
Sponsorship
PRO
Office Staff
Social Media team
Paid underage (qualified) coaches

Aside from the underage coaching side of things, which I have no clue about, most of the other positions are covered by volunteers who do an amazing job but have to fit that work in around their full time jobs.

I'm talking about good paying positions that would attract people to apply and see it as a sustainable full time job.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I'm sure we are in for a very interesting next transfer window. If we plan to win the league in the next few years, money is going to have to be spent.

With Fats arriving next season, will Duffy now join him?
And that might just be for starters.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

eugenio wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am A swan song perhaps. He’s been a lifeline no one would deserve it more but this squad ??is it ready ?Lose Toal eg and POSs Boyce a few others getting on. The horrific pitch and the Euro bucks floating around I would say we will just get more of this season A bit of a grind a few horror shows but no teeth for a league title in the immediate future in my.mind.
That's what a transfer window is for, to change the current squad into a title winning team

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:44 am A swan song perhaps. He’s been a lifeline no one would deserve it more but this squad ??is it ready ?Lose Toal eg and POSs Boyce a few others getting on. The horrific pitch and the Euro bucks floating around I would say we will just get more of this season A bit of a grind a few horror shows but no teeth for a league title in the immediate future in my.mind.
Major surgery it is then.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

The midfield is where any investment is required imo. Patching, Barry McNamee would give us more options and Duffy would be a good addition if he found his scoring touch again. Lets see what this season brings and take it from there.

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:44 pm
johnm wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:46 am He loves Derry but is no mug who will bail team out year after year.
I would beg to differ. He is no mug obviously BUT he has been bailing the club out year after year. PO'D runs a very successful business in E&I which is seen with the deal announced yesterday. However with a bit of that business magic he could run Derry City in a totally different manner and become profitable. Putting full time staff into the club, opening an academy with club shop and permanent office space included would lift the club's profile dramatically. A new stadium would be nice as well....

I cannot believe in all the years he has been involved full time staff have not been appointed to critical roles

General Manager
Community relations
Marketing
Sponsorship
PRO
Office
Social Media team
Paid underage (qualified) coaches

Aside from the underage coaching side of things, which I have no clue about, most of the other positions are covered by volunteers who do an amazing job but have to fit that work in around their full time jobs.

I'm talking about good paying positions that would attract people to apply and see it as a sustainable full time job.
Derry City FC is a volatile stock and a commodity that few will buy into other than supporters who enjoy local football.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Fats, Duffy and McClean is an exciting prospect for next year.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 pm Fats, Duffy and McClean is an exciting prospect for next year.
Think McClean could be a wee bit if our reach, Duffy on the other hand....

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

brandyball wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:56 pm
Marty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:08 pm Fats, Duffy and McClean is an exciting prospect for next year.
Think McClean could be a wee bit if our reach
Not really. He has always said he wanted to come back, but at an age where he could still contribute. And his deal with Wigan is only until next summer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

If James does come back I pray he tones it down a bit

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

PauliAlonso wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:36 pm
brandyball wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:56 pm
Think McClean could be a wee bit if our reach
Not really. He has always said he wanted to come back, but at an age where he could still contribute. And his deal with Wigan is only until next summer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility.
Suppose it'll be up to James and if he wants to escape the bigots and vitriol he puts up with day and daily.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

I really hope we don't go out and throw silly money at this project. If we build a league winning side I want it to be competitive for an entire cycle and not a one season splurge in an effort to land the league title. Europe should be our first goal. Then adding to the side to sustain a push for Europe in consecutive seasons whilst challenging for Cups. Then when we're progressing nicely and can beat Harps regularly again, a title tilt.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:18 am I really hope we don't go out and throw silly money at this project. If we build a league winning side I want it to be competitive for an entire cycle and not a one season splurge in an effort to land the league title. Europe should be our first goal. Then adding to the side to sustain a push for Europe in consecutive seasons whilst challenging for Cups. Then when we're progressing nicely and can beat Harps regularly again, a title tilt.
Absolutely agree with this! We have to build a squad that can become competitive for multiple seasons and qualify for Europe 3 or 4 seasons in a row. Winning the league should be the aim but it's not the be all and end all in this league, unfortunately. Europe brings in the largest revenue.

We need to be aiming for players who are 23-25 and signing them to multiple year deals, while bringing through young players. Don't be splashing on players 30+ just because they're 'experienced' or a big name.

I wouldn't bring McClean back personally but then again it's not my money we're spending.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Marco, you have touched on what my initial thoughts were when I heard the statement. PO'D has now created a rod for his back. By announcing he hopes to challenge for the league there is now an expectation. If we fail to attract the right players for next season, supporters will question why. If we have a bad start, supporters will question why. If we spend big and end up nowhere near it, well... you get the point.

We have had club statements and reports on the importance of long term planning for a decade at least, yet we are still dependant on Phil's loans and finances. If we spend a fortune for a season's glory and still have little coming through the youth system to sustain the long term, we are screwed. Key to our success is to back the long term on and off the pitch, otherwise what will the real cost be to short term success be?