FAI Cup Second Round- Finn Harps (A)

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FAI Cup Second Round- Finn Harps (A)

Post by Greengo »

Naw we did try but had no end result... Harps are a stubborn team and were buoyed by their result against Pats last week...

As Dee has said, it took an hour and twenty minutes before we tested a 40 year old in nets...

Best to forget about this game and move on... Like all yer arses... its behind you ;)

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:28 am

I said in the lead up that this was the worst draw we could have ever gotten and that it probably would have been easier to play Rovers. Some may jump on that comment but honestly, there would have been less pressure on us.
Sorry Dee, but thats just a football cliche.

We were drawn against an average side, and it gave us a better than 50/50 chance of going through (if you compare league positions and squad).
However, we are an average side as well, and of the 2 poor sides on display last night, we picked the wrong game for a no-show from everyone.

As for playing Rovers, no thanks. It was only recently I watched them rip us to shreds at the Brandywell after they gave us a 2 goal start. We are a mile behind them and a game against them would have seen us dumped out of the cup more emphatically.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Losing to Finn Harps should be a sackable offence.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Nige92 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:30 am Lads, calm down would ye. We all knew that this was a difficult draw and that that there was a possibility of losing, that's football, that's life.
Oh my God we are not allowed now to hurt the cup was a chance for a bit of glory AND a lift esp,postbCovid for US the fans
That we lost is NOT THE POINT that we didn’t even give it a go is a sickener that won’t just go away to your “calm down “ tirade Harps are a poor side It sticks in my craw then , what does that make us, In a local derby the v v v least is effort from all our team not just 3 or 4 trying It’s not “life” to lie down and roll over to a team we should be beating every week Catch yourself on ….get a bit of passion and say it as it is sometimes These boyis are getting big bucks …..the least that must be demanded is heart Surely ???

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm Losing to Finn Harps should be a sackable offence.
The day Barry moved from red to blue is the day it all changed. Still don't believe we've replaced him since he left and were far worse off because of it. We've had a few loan players trying to fill the void but nothing consistent. Until we do we'll not dominate teams as we've no control over the ball.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:26 pm
brandyball wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:20 pm Losing to Finn Harps should be a sackable offence.
The day Barry moved from red to blue is the day it all changed. Still don't believe we've replaced him since he left and were far worse off because of it. We've had a few loan players trying to fill the void but nothing consistent. Until we do we'll not dominate teams as we've no control over the ball.
100 % You never know maybe he may want to grace us with his presence again in the not too distant future. Once we get Fats back next season and Higgins starts building a team around him. See Evan McLaughlin scored 2 for the Under 19s against Da Harps.

nial9

Post by nial9 »

For all the head-in-the -sand fans, I said it before and I will say it again. Derry City FC League of Ireland Premier champions 2046 !

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

We can live in hope! Great for Evan. Seen that earlier. Great potential and still a very young age. Dropping down to U19 must get easier when you've tasted the seniors game. Also trying to make sense of Bohs win tonight. Potentially now 4th may not be enough if the Cup goes to someone not in the top 3. Lots of possibilities remaining but its just got a little more tricky.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

You can't overlook Dundalk in the cup. As shambolic as they have been in the league, they have a good record in the cup the last 6 or so years. The better result for us today would have been Bohs to go out because Rovers are not going to bottle the league.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:22 pm You can't overlook Dundalk in the cup. As shambolic as they have been in the league, they have a good record in the cup the last 6 or so years. The better result for us today would have been Bohs to go out because Rovers are not going to bottle the league.
Exactly. complicates things for now.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:45 pm I went to Harps v Pats on Friday night, and it was a very entertaining game.

How Pats are second in the league is a mystery, as they were poor. Even Forrester was largely invisible.

Owolabi scored 3 good goals for his hattrick playing up front largely on his own, and is probably too good for Harps. Though he also spent a lot of time moaning about defenders etc. Would be interesting to see what he could do in a better team. McNamee hasn't the energy/legs he used to, but can still thread very good balls through. Harps have a couple of decent defenders not afraid to get their head to most balls, but overall they're no great shakes tbh. They continually worked hard to get the ball off of Pats, only to then give it back again 3 or 4 touches later due to sloppy passing. Harps were well worth the win overall versus a poor Pats side, but if we play a pacey organised game with good passing and keep Owolabi sidelined then we should have too much for them.
How'd that work out?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

With Sligo and Shamrock Rovers out of the Cup we need Pats to win it to guarantee 4th spot for Europe.

Or Bohs to win it but also they must also finish 3rd with Sligo dropping down.

Dundalk will be eying the Cup as a way to save their season and deliver Europe.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

marcoloco wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:36 pm With Sligo and Shamrock Rovers out of the Cup we need Pats to win it to guarantee 4th spot for Europe.

Or Bohs to win it but also they must also finish 3rd with Sligo dropping down.

Dundalk will be eying the Cup as a way to save their season and deliver Europe.
Marco. With Rovers gone I thought it w
Could be ours this year I don’t care who wins it now I want us to do things for ourselves So Inawait next season and arrival of a bout of craft and POSs a goal scorer and go again

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

We just lost to Harps and people still talking about finishing 4th !!!! Unreal
Get real and let's just stay 5th at best, but hopefully 6th or 7th and build for next season.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

pgdcfc wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:19 pm We just lost to Harps and people still talking about finishing 4th !!!! Unreal
Get real and let's just stay 5th at best, but hopefully 6th or 7th and build for next season.
A true honest post great to hear We are out of cup and we’re hoping for others to ‘BAIL US OUT’ no if we can’t do it let it fest on us

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Lads that's football. That's how it works.

This idea that we do things for ourselves doesn't add up for me. League tables and Cup are all linked.

Yes, it would be nice to be sitting top of the league with a comfortable cushion over all the others but its not how it works.

Not a single league in the world is like that.

Why? Because you've got every other team fighting tooth and nail for every point and every win.

We lost to Harps. Its sickening. But we're 4th placed in the league albeit with more games played. Next two league games (Harps and Longford) could boost our tally by a further 6 points. IF we win those games then we'll be right in the mix for 4th.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

marcoloco wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am Lads that's football. That's how it works.

This idea that we do things for ourselves doesn't add up for me. League tables and Cup are all linked.

Yes, it would be nice to be sitting top of the league with a comfortable cushion over all the others but its not how it works.

Why? Because you've got every other team fighting tooth and nail for every point and every win.

We lost to Harps. Its sickening. But we're 4th placed in the league albeit with more games played. Next two league games (Harps and Longford) could boost our tally by a further 6 points. IF we win those games then we'll be right in the mix for 4th.
Marco I think you are reading our posts wrong All I am saying is we had a good chance in the cup we blew it if as you say we keep winning in the league ok we are tying to do it for ourselves but the permutations eg if Dundalk win the cup I’d x loses yo y. If if if WE JUST PLAY NOW AND SEE WHATS WHAT To go into permutations ,to me, is not a fans love We play we win or we lose that’s it I think we blew a great chance that’s all Rem in the 50s 60s I waited 10 years each time for a cup win

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:58 pm
marcoloco wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am Lads that's football. That's how it works.

Marco I think you are reading our posts wrong All I am saying is we had a good chance in the cup we blew it if as you say we keep winning in the league ok we are tying to do it for ourselves but the permutations eg if Dundalk win the cup I’d x loses yo y. If if if WE JUST PLAY NOW AND SEE WHATS WHAT To go into permutations ,to me, is not a fans love We play we win or we lose that’s it I think we blew a great chance that’s all Rem in the 50s 60s I waited 10 years each time for a cup win
We sure did. Its there for the taking this year. What is worse is that we didnt turn up. Didnt give them a game. But its hard to criticise them given the turnaround in the league games. Its sickening indeed.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

I want to push back on this idea that we had a 'good' chance of winning the cup. We had a chance, of course but I wouldn't describe it as good. We were probably 3rd/4th favourites before the game but winning the cup is not easy, it requires good performances and luck. We had the luck against Drogs but we had neither in this game.

To win the cup we'd have needed to win 4 games on the bounce, beginning with a very tricky 50/50 game. Following that we could have drawn 3 more Prem Division teams, including Pats/Bohs/Dundalk. Now obviously we could have drawn a lesser opponent but we'd need to beat 2 Prem teams at least. Doable, however still a difficult path.

If you feel we had a great/good chance to win the cup then your expectations were higher than what were meritted if you ask me. Losing to Harps was very disappointing, always will be but it's a hard game. We've a chance for revenge soon enough!

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Nige92 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm I want to push back on this idea that we had a 'good' chance of winning the cup. We had a chance, of course but I wouldn't describe it as good. We were probably 3rd/4th favourites before the game but winning the cup is not easy, it requires good performances and luck. We had the luck against Drogs but we had neither in this game.

To win the cup we'd have needed to win 4 games on the bounce, beginning with a very tricky 50/50 game. Following that we could have drawn 3 more Prem Division teams, including Pats/Bohs/Dundalk. Now obviously we could have drawn a lesser opponent but we'd need to beat 2 Prem teams at least. Doable, however still a difficult path.

If you feel we had a great/good chance to win the cup then your expectations were higher than what were meritted if you ask me. Losing to Harps was very disappointing, always will be but it's a hard game. We've a chance for revenge soon enough!
You see you hit it in one ……I FEEL…. we had a good chance because of the way we were setting out lately. The cup is v often won by the team just wanting to win it The posting I do btw is causal I enjoy it ….I don’t split hairs between writing a “good” or a ‘great “ chance Btw I use the oldDerry term “great” anyway SO I just felt that we could lift the cup ,enter Europe on our own result We didn’t….. so as for many years I will just wait for the next time and it will be”great” for me if we even get to the Final I love that it’s good. Naw it’s great