Sligo Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Sligo Rovers v Derry City Match Thread

Post by fergal »

Derry done ok just, sligo werent great either. But the boys on commentary tried to make it sound like sligo should have hammering derry. Which wasnt true.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

brandyball wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:42 pm Any word on McJannett and Akintunde?
Covid related according to Higgins. Didn't expand upon that

mightymccourt

Post by mightymccourt »

Great result and an outside chance of Europe.

Whilst a decent prospect, Evan McLaughlin is nowhere near ready to be a starter in that side. Technically decent but small and easily bullied. Hery has to start there.
Malone had a shocker tonight, many more of those and he'll likely not be here next year.

With Fats to come, an outside hope of Duffy and a long shot of McNamee and one or two more coming in, given theres no real stand out side in the league(Rovers are the best but not great) why can't we dream of a title tilt next year........

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

brandyball wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:13 pm Didn't watch but listened to Radio Foyle. Liam Coyle basically said we were mostly the better team.
I would agree with Liam. First half Sligo were in control but Derry bossed the second half controlling possession. Huge 3 points away against a team who were 13 points ahead of us a few weeks ago. Young McLaughlin knits the play together intelligently and is really brave in the areas he offers to take possession. There are possibilities now we couldn’t have dreamed of a couple of months ago. Onwards and upwards.

RAWA

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

fergal wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 pm Derry done ok just, sligo werent great either. But the boys on commentary tried to make it sound like sligo should have hammering derry. Which wasnt true.
Fergal great point I wrote to LOI asking is it par for the course that the away team are treated so disrespectfully in all games . I wrote too re Harps game Commentstor Gibson commentated on ever single ball while so Called “pundit”. Commentated on ever single thing over and over it was excruciatingly bad No rest at all my head was sore at the end of listening esp to punditry claptrap We to be fair have our share of “over speak “at our Games too .

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

mightymccourt wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:33 am Great result and an outside chance of Europe.

Whilst a decent prospect, Evan McLaughlin is nowhere near ready to be a starter in that side. Technically decent but small and easily bullied. Hery has to start there.
Malone had a shocker tonight, many more of those and he'll likely not be here next year.

With Fats to come, an outside hope of Duffy and a long shot of McNamee and one or two more coming in, given theres no real stand out side in the league(Rovers are the best but not great) why can't we dream of a title tilt next year........
Mighty my point eg re Malone A heart like a lion but that 25% skill that is needed to open team up is missing as with young Mc Laughlin And Fitz Higgins and Cretare had this Maybe they could develop it in our two local lads Fitz just hasn’t got anything alas

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

eugenio wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:16 pm
mightymccourt wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:33 am Great result and an outside chance of Europe.

Mighty my point eg re Malone A heart like a lion but that 25% skill that is needed to open team up is missing as with young Mc Laughlin And Fitz Higgins and Cretare had this Maybe they could develop it in our two local lads Fitz just hasn’t got anything alas
Never happy, always finding faults

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

eugenio wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:12 pm
fergal wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 pm Derry done ok just, sligo werent great either. But the boys on commentary tried to make it sound like sligo should have hammering derry. Which wasnt true.
Fergal great point I wrote to LOI asking is it par for the course that the away team are treated so disrespectfully in all games . I wrote too re Harps game Commentstor Gibson commentated on ever single ball while so Called “pundit”. Commentated on ever single thing over and over it was excruciatingly bad No rest at all my head was sore at the end of listening esp to punditry claptrap We to be fair have our share of “over speak “at our Games too .
Quick question Eugenio,did you not say the 2 commentators were the best on the service?

Temple38

Post by Temple38 »

Every week on here I read this player has done this and this player has done that,how great our young players are,how great the team is under Higgins and yet there is one player who gets very little credit on here,gets no credit from his manager in his post match interviews and is probably one of the most consistent players and yes he had a difficult start to the season but last night he was the reason Derry we’re still in the game and we’re able to go for the win and that’s the goalkeeper gartside,he goes quietly about his business and can always be counted on.

mokendismucker
Manager
Manager

Post by mokendismucker »

Temple38 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:31 pm Every week on here I read this player has done this and this player has done that,how great our young players are,how great the team is under Higgins and yet there is one player who gets very little credit on here,gets no credit from his manager in his post match interviews and is probably one of the most consistent players and yes he had a difficult start to the season but last night he was the reason Derry we’re still in the game and we’re able to go for the win and that’s the goalkeeper gartside,he goes quietly about his business and can always be counted on.
You are spot on.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Temple38 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:31 pm Every week on here I read this player has done this and this player has done that,how great our young players are,how great the team is under Higgins and yet there is one player who gets very little credit on here,gets no credit from his manager in his post match interviews and is probably one of the most consistent players and yes he had a difficult start to the season but last night he was the reason Derry we’re still in the game and we’re able to go for the win and that’s the goalkeeper gartside,he goes quietly about his business and can always be counted on.
100% agree here. Got absolutely hammered in the first 4 games & people had already written him off as a keeper. Just goes to show when you have sat on the bench for 2yrs without kicking a ball it's going to take time to adjust & boy has Nathan done that superbly

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Welcome Nathan. :lol:

Temple38

Post by Temple38 »

Good one brandyball

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Spot on about Gartside. Got slaughtered at the start of the season - he's shown some backbone and ability and deserves more praise

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 pm
eugenio wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:12 pm
Quick question Eugenio,did you not say the 2 commentators were the best on the service?
I enjoyed Greengo commentary I LIKE Gareth Mc Glynn he keeps comments well spaced out but I don’t like 90 mins of voice when I can see what’s happening and the punditry is well embarrassingg to a good degree

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 pm

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

eugenio wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:21 pm
dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:45 pm
I love Malone always have am quoted as saying Mc Laughlin is one for the future That they both need that wee bit of quality Boyce has up aroung the box is hardly “ never happy” but sure you having your usual go at me makes you happy so it’s a win win surely

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

Nathan's one of the best keepers in the league. Completely different to the player at the start of the season.

Excellent performance and excellent game to watch

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Marty wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:36 pm Nathan's one of the best keepers in the league. Completely different to the player at the start of the season.

Excellent performance and excellent game to watch
Derry tried to sign new keeper before window closed.